EZ Air get you to the ship guarantee valid for one way Alaska cruises out of Vancouver?

mattR

Was wondering how the EZ air get you to the ship works if you miss the ship in Vancouver for a one way voyage. How about if you are doing a 14 day Vancouver - Vancouver that is also bookable as 2 one ways?

Specific sailing is Royal Princess Jul 13/24  

Not trying to be smart and I understand people's schedules and time off doesn't always jive. 

My point is even if EZAir is going to get you to the next port, you're not getting a refund of the missed days of your cruise, so it money lost.  And it's really not worth the stress and aggravation.  Fly in a day or two early to secure your cruise.  You made the paid all that money to go on a cruise and it doesn't make sense to gamble arriving in time for your cruise due to airline delays and cancellations.

I will say, however, EZAir is great about rebooking if the delay is known prior to your departure.  For example, in March of last year, British Airways cancelled our friend's flight 2 days prior to departure because of Heathrow strikes.  EZAir rebooked them on United no questions asked and no extra charges.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, suekel said:

Their promise is to get you to the next port.  Doesn't matter how the cruise is booked...they get you to the next port.  

I believe the OP is concerned about possible PVSA violations. IIRC, Princess would get a waiver or pay the fine?

• Like 1

Just now, wallyj said:

I believe the OP is concerned about possible PVSA violations. IIRC, Princess would get a waiver or pay the fine?

Hmmm. Good question.  I imagine they've got an answer. Maybe email customer service?

Thoughts to consider....I don't have the answers.

Yes, EZ Air will guarantee to get you to the next "available" port.  It may not be the very next port.  Most of Alaska cities are land locked.  You can fly in, but am not sure if every city will have daily flights.

PVSA is not negotiable.  Princess/Passenger will be fined.  Who pays it is the questions. 

Will it depend if this delay is weather related or some other circumstance.  Was it a missed connection?  Cancel flight?  Out of passenger's control?  So many "what ifs".

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you are booking it as R/T Vancouver, they can get you to the next port with no PVSA violation.

And it doesn't matter whether you booked the R/T as a single cruise or as a B2B. The PVSA doesn't care about individual bookings. It only cares about the total cruise for each passenger.

3 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Not trying to be smart and I understand people's schedules and time off doesn't always jive. 

My point is even if EZAir is going to get you to the next port, you're not getting a refund of the missed days of your cruise, so it money lost.  And it's really not worth the stress and aggravation. 

A few years ago I was booked on a Transatlantic, FLL to Southampton. I used EZAir for my flight to FLL from LAX and booked the redeye connecting in ATL. Unfortunately, weather caused ATL to shut down and I did not find till out till I arrived at LAX. At first, EZAir offered to just get me to FLL, I shared no, that will not work as the cruise is going to Europe and the next stop is Bermuda and there is limited service from FLL to Bermuda.

Finally, EZAir offered to get me to Bermuda , fly tomorrow and wait for ship in 2 more days or fly in 2 days when ship should arrive, but if you miss ship again, you are on your own. I decided to fly to Bermuda early and wait for ship. Since I did not have travel insurance, hotel cost in Bermuda was my expense.

When I boarded, I was informed, and received OBC for the missed 3 days of the cruise.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, suekel said:

Their promise is to get you to the next port.  Doesn't matter how the cruise is booked...they get you to the next port.  

As @cr8tiv1stated, they will book you to the next ‘port’ that will allow you to embark, which may not necessarily be the next port on the itinerary.

Edited by wallyj
  • Thanks 1

OOPs...blame my "wrong" answer for not reading with 100% comprehension.

I need to rephrase my answer:  Yes, EZ Air will get you to the next available port.  PVSA will not apply since one of the ports is Vancouver (embarkation/disembarkation).  PVSA is only applicable to cruises that leave/return from a US port.  Thanks to both of you for bringing this to my attention.

51 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

If you are booking it as R/T Vancouver, they can get you to the next port with no PVSA violation.

38 minutes ago, wallyj said:

As @cr8tiv1stated, they will book you to the next ‘port’ that will allow you to embark, which may not necessarily be the next port on the itinerary.

Some of my party are only doing one way NB out of Vancouver so PVSA violation would apply to them? If so would Princess even attempt to catch them up to the ship?  

Posted (edited)

Me thinks….PVSA will apply if they will be embarking in a US city AND disembarking in Whittier/Anchorage.  North bound

If embarking in a US city and disembarking in Vancouver, the PVSA will not apply.  South bound.

I see you are from Canada.  Are the other passengers also Canadian?  Will they be able to clear US immigrations before getting on the plane to a US Alaskan city?  I doubt a small town like Skagway will have a way to process a Canadian.

Edited by cr8tiv1

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I see you are from Canada.  Are the other passengers also Canadian?  Will they be able to clear US immigrations before getting on the plane to a US Alaskan city?  I doubt a small town like Skagway will have a way to process a Canadian.

There would be no problem flying from Vancouver to Skagway or Ketchikan, since they would clear US immigration and customs before boarding the plane in Vancouver. All flights from YVR to the US clear immigration and customs in Vancouver. However, the PVSA would prevent them from boarding the ship in Skagway or Ketchikan for a one-way cruise to Whittier.

5 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

There would be no problem flying from Vancouver to Skagway or Ketchikan, since they would clear US immigration and customs before boarding the plane in Vancouver. All flights from YVR to the US clear immigration and customs in Vancouver. However, the PVSA would prevent them from boarding the ship in Skagway or Ketchikan for a one-way cruise to Whittier.

I just checked Google...very informative on who flies in and out of Ketchikan plus a required ferry ride into the city.

But the issue remains...that this would violate PVSA since OP/family/friends will be flying into one US city (Ketchikan) and disembarking in different US city (Anchorage/Whittier). 

Even if this was booked as two separate round trip Vancouver voyage (Vancouver/Whittier, Whittier/Vancouver), the first leg would/could violate PVSA (which does not apply initially since it was Vancouver to Whittier). 

The more I think about this, the more complicated it becomes (in my mind).  I like a good puzzle.

@mattR please do keep us updated with this flight.  Many would like to know who gets the PVSA bill.

Keep in mind that if you have insurance....

YouTuber Don has posted in previous videos, that one has to make every effort to get to the port.  If they miss the ship, then, and only then would they be able to file a claim with their insurance company.

Common mistake is to think that they "may not" make the cruise, so don't make an attempt to get there.  Check out your fine print on your insurance documents.