bus from port to fco under 70 Eur / 75 USD

kad56

I'm looking for a bus from the cruise port to the airport. The only information I've found is about cabs and shared shuttles. I can use the cruise ship's option, but I'm hoping to find something less expensive.

Posted (edited)

per person. I'm travelling solo, which is why I'm looking for a bus or shared shuttle. I know the cruises offer bus transfers, and a lot of the time private excursions are cheaper than what you can get with the cruise line. But I'm only finding taxi options and the train.

Edited by kad56

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/27/2024 at 7:51 AM, kad56 said:

Thank you. I'm thinking that the ship transfer or the train are going to be my best bet.

I took the train last week. 6 euro shuttle port to station, 11 euro train to FCO. Train 90 minutes with one transfer. Walked off the ship 06:30 arrived FCO station 08:30 and walk from station and thru security by 09:00.

I was on NCL and they were charging $75.00 pp for bus transfer

Thank you. That's pretty much what I've decided to do as well. Not just because of the price, but because of the time. My flight is a 10:30 AM so it's tight connection, and I want to be the first person off the ship.

Does your flight have a change somewhere in Europe, within the Schengen zone?  If not you need to be at the airport by 7:30, which will be difficult by train.  First you've got to get from the port to the train station, the buses may not be there ready to go for the first people off ... and they will wait until they're full.

To be at FCO by 7:30 you'd need to be on a train leaving Civitavecchia no later than 6:13 (gets you to the airport train station at 7:48, so you won't actually be checking in for your flight until 8:00).

If you do have a stop in the Schengen zone you have more leeway, the 7:02 from Civitavecchia gets you to the airport at 8:33.

Have you tried posting on the roll call for your sailing to see if you can share a car service with someone?  If there's a couple going there would be room to add a third passenger.

With a 10:30 am flight, you have no choice but to use a vehicle.  Whether your cruise ship offers a bus transfer, that can get you to FCO by 7:30 (8:00 should work but is tighter than we like) is a question you need to ask.  I would suggest that you post on the CC Roll Call (for your specific cruise) and look for a few others that want to share an early private transfer.  Once you get more than 3 folks (sharing) the cost of a private transfer is usually less expensive than cruise line transfers.  Ideally, you would want a transfer that is scheduled to depart the pier by 6:30am.

For the reasons cited by Euro-Cruiser, using the train is not a reasonable option for such an early flight.  And even with later flights, we are not big fans of using the trains since dragging luggage on and/off trains (and ensuring they are always secure from theives) is not a particularly great option (you will need at least one change of train to get to FCO).

Hank

Does FCO take longer than airports in the US? I know they tell you to show up 3 hours early for internal flights, but I never do. I don't check luggage, and I've never missed a flight. 

If you're comfortable with the risk level, then go for it. 

FCO can be a very slow place, but if you don't need to check in at the desk and can head right to the security line immediately upon arrival then the three hour recommendation may be excessive.

The cost of being wrong is pretty high (a new flight at last minute prices, maybe having to stay an extra night to get that flight), it feels like a big risk to me just to save 50 euro or so over the cost of a shared ride.  But that's me and my assessment, yours is likely different.