Driving to Galveston

7 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

Do y'all think its better to go to your parking lot and take everything to the terminal on the shuttle, OR, drop it all off at the ship then go to park? My first time sailing out of Galveston.

We like to drop off and then shuttle . 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hoping someone here can help... we are thinking of tacking on a cruise to the end of the Scooter Cannonball next June since we will be in Texas anyway.  Two issues:

The Cannonball officially ends on June 29 on South Padre Island.  We MUST stay the night on SPI.

1- The only cruise that leaves early that week (I believe I checked all lines) is the Carnival Breeze on June 30.  We are used to making a 6 hour drive from Phx to LA the morning of a cruise, but please tell me, kind folks, are we crazy to even THINK of trying to make THIS 6 hour drive?  

2- Additionally, we will be in a car pulling a trailer with the scooter on it.  Even if we could get there in a timely manner, how is the parking at the cruise terminal for a vehicle pulling a trailer?

Edited by tensixmom

I don't think there's anyway you can get from South Padre Island to Galveston in 6 hours even if you weren't pulling a trailer. It's well over 400 miles. Parking a trailer with a scooter on it, also a crazy idea. Can't imagine anyone will think any of this is a good idea. Good luck.

17 hours ago, tensixmom said:

but please tell me, kind folks, are we crazy to even THINK of trying to make THIS 6 hour drive? 

I live in the Clear Lake area (35 miles from the cruise terminals) and spend time for my career and other medical centers along the Gulf Coast. As recently as yesterday I made the drive from McAllen to home in 5 hours and 20 min. Note; I'm in a company Murano, driving 75 MPH most of the way and started with a full tank of fuel and empty bladder. 🙂

South Padre adds an hour, and that route takes the Beltway toll system around the SW part of Houston. If I were to plan than trip as you describe I simply wouldn't. I would make the drive to Webster or Texas City and spend the night in a chain based hotel along the route. The next morning drive would be 30 min or less.

Trust me on this one, I've been in health care sales for four decades calling on the Rio Grande Valley for most of it. You would gamble your cruise fare to make this on the day of sailing.

On 8/23/2024 at 3:14 PM, ssb said:

Turn left off Broadway on 23rd directly into Carnival Terminal for drop off .

Will they let you cross Harborside Dr. there on embarkation day? If so, that would be great. I seem to remember having to go down andenter at 22nd at Fishermans Wharf.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 3:14 PM, ssb said:

Turn left off Broadway on 23rd directly into Carnival Terminal for drop off .

True, but the private parking busses take that route, we go a bit further down. Also, it's easier to turn left off Broadway. Either way is better than the lights on Harborside.

See you at sea.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grantbob said:

Will they let you cross Harborside Dr. there on embarkation day? If so, that would be great. I seem to remember having to go down andenter at 22nd at Fishermans Wharf.

Yes