Oh no!!! I may be in trouble.

15 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Name 5.  

If you can cruise with a BC, you can use a passport that's going to expire within 6 months. 

I'm not the OP, but decided to look it up to see where in North America this is the case (I'm more aware of it for travel to Europe).

Looking at countries on the US governement site (Travel.state.gov) countries I found for a quick search are:

Antigua and Barbuda (technically 180 days)

Cuba (6 months)

French West Indies (6 months)

Grenada (6 months)

Haiti (6 months)

Trinidad and Tobago (6 months)

Honduras (3 months)

There are notes for some that it is for airlines and private sea vessels, while cruises are noted in places as accepting WHTI compliant documents:

For example (Antigua and Barbuda International Travel Information (state.gov))

Passports and visa: U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport that is valid for 180 days following your departure date. No visa is required if you have an onward or return ticket, confirmation of accommodation, and can produce evidence of your ability to maintain yourself. Passport cards are not accepted.

NOTE: Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Antigua and Barbuda, as well as proof of anticipated departure from the country. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel. Those traveling to Antigua and Barbuda on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air.

With all of that said, for some on even this list it's likely a semantic argument as closed-loop cruises may be treated differently.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dragontrainer said:

I'm not the OP, but decided to look it up to see where in North America this is the case (I'm more aware of it for travel to Europe).

Looking at countries on the US governement site (Travel.state.gov) countries I found for a quick search are:

Antigua and Barbuda (technically 180 days)

Cuba (6 months)

French West Indies (6 months)

Grenada (6 months)

Haiti (6 months)

Trinidad and Tobago (6 months)

Honduras (3 months)

There are notes for some that it is for airlines and private sea vessels, while cruises are noted in places as accepting WHTI compliant documents:

For example (Antigua and Barbuda International Travel Information (state.gov))

Passports and visa: U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport that is valid for 180 days following your departure date. No visa is required if you have an onward or return ticket, confirmation of accommodation, and can produce evidence of your ability to maintain yourself. Passport cards are not accepted.

NOTE: Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Antigua and Barbuda, as well as proof of anticipated departure from the country. This includes travelers arriving by airplane and by private sea-going vessel. Those traveling to Antigua and Barbuda on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air.

With all of that said, for some on even this list it's likely a semantic argument as closed-loop cruises may be treated differently.

I think your last sentence sums it up.  Again, if you're allowed to use a BC/DL, why would you HAVE to have 6 months left on a passport.  

• Like 1

You mentioned this was for fall break, so October time frame? If they do want to get a passport and go in the next couple of weeks, you should receive them in time but as others have stated they don't have to have them. I prefer the security of traveling with passports but my youngest did not have one in June and it was fine (expired, kid is turning 16 this fall and we decided to not stress it). The BC line is longer and our documents were more scrutinized when we got back but it took maybe 5 minutes longer than it did for the other parent and kid with passports to walk through. They went ahead of us and grabbed the bags. We are taking a kid that is not ours next summer and that kid is required to have a passport because I won't risk it with someone that I am not the parent in case of emergency as that might make things even more complicated.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

One more thing to worry about: If you have a passport, make sure they don't expire within 6 months of travel. Certain countries will not accept them. People have been prevented from boarding because of this.

Totally not true for a closed loop cruise in which YOU DONT EVEN NEED A PASSPORT!

Edited by cruisinfanatic

20 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Totally not true for a closed loop cruise in which YOU DONT EVEN NEED A PASSPORT!

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

"Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or foreign port of entry does not."

a28.jpg.6d42c4f0818c5ede6440ec141fdb3a86.jpg

54 minutes ago, Sizzlechest said:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

"Apply early for your passport, or make sure your current one will be valid at least six months beyond your travel dates and has two or more blank pages. Your cruise company may also require you to have a passport even if U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or foreign port of entry does not."

a28.jpg.6d42c4f0818c5ede6440ec141fdb3a86.jpg

Where does that page talk about closed loop cruises?  

Many (most) cruisers also don't take their passports off the ship with them.  That page you linked says you should.  

Now, please, explain the logic, where, on a cruise where a passport isn't even required, you need to have 6 months left on it if you bring it?  

I'd guess your chances of going to labadee are slim to none. Celebrity cancelled labadee for the rest of the year. I'd say do t count on ladadee. Hopefully some other port will be ok with your family. 

20 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

and the grandchildren did not need passports. 

Your wording suggests that adults need passports, while children do not. 

Age makes no difference in documentation for cruising.  

8 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I agree a passport is the best ID to travel with.  But sometimes it's not worth the money or hassle (having both parents present as mentioned). 

Agree -- most of us DON'T NEED passports to cruise, and passports are more unquestionably more complicated: 

- An adult passport costs $130 for the passport + $35 for processing.  And it's good 10 years (maybe 9 1/2, depending upon where you're going). 

- A child's passport costs $100 for the passport + $35 for processing.  And it's only good for 5 years (maybe 4 1/2, depending upon where you're going).  

- You have to have a photograph made + must have a certified birth certificate to mail away.  

- You have to have an appointment to drop off the application, and those appointments aren't all that easy to get.  

- For kids' passports, both parents must go to the processing center (or send a notarized letter).  I think we all understand why this is a rule, but it's undeniably inconvenient.  

- Kids' passports cannot be renewed.  They have to go through the whole process again.  

- The passport expires, whereas the birth certificate never does.  

- People say the passport line moves faster than the birth certificate line, and that might be true -- but is moving faster worth this much money?  

11 hours ago, jalves said:

Also, although not strictly necessary for the OP's cruise it's very helpful to have a passport with you in case you are stranded in a foreign port, perhaps by a medical issue.  

While you certainly could end up stranded, the possibilities are very, very slim. 

On the other hand, the money spent on the passport is definitely gone.  

Also, consider that flying home from an island is difficult, even with a passport -- on small islands, a flight to your hometown may not be available for a couple days, and a last minute ticket is going to be expensive.  The point:  You're probably not flying home unless it's a real emergency.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

Where did you read in my post that I said "including all closed loop cruises?"

Well, you quoted a post referring to closed loop cruises, so it stands to reason thats what you were referring to.

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Your wording suggests that adults need passports, while children do not. 

Age makes no difference in documentation for cruising.  

My goodness!!!  Why do these type of post get so out of hand.  The cruise has been finalized and paid for, independent travel insurance purchased, and other arrangements made. 

Mum2Mercury - I am not sure what you are saying or asking, but my adult daughters do have their passports.  It's the children that do not.  And they will be traveling this time without one.

I am well aware of the importance of a passport.   My DH and I have been on almost 50 cruises, and visited so many countries that I cannot count all of them.  We always travel with our passports.  Even in port!   We are on our 3rd set.

7 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

You mentioned this was for fall break, so October time frame? If they do want to get a passport and go in the next couple of weeks, you should receive them in time but as others have stated they don't have to have them. I prefer the security of traveling with passports but my youngest did not have one in June and it was fine (expired, kid is turning 16 this fall and we decided to not stress it). The BC line is longer and our documents were more scrutinized when we got back but it took maybe 5 minutes longer than it did for the other parent and kid with passports to walk through. They went ahead of us and grabbed the bags. We are taking a kid that is not ours next summer and that kid is required to have a passport because I won't risk it with someone that I am not the parent in case of emergency as that might make things even more complicated.

When we got off of the ship in Charleston, SC, after the Bahamas cruise, we did not have to go through any lines at all, so have no experience with passport versus BC line.

So my question was answered and I thank those that gave an answer.  Lets please put this thread to rest.

• Like 6