Live from the Land of Princess

I haven’t told you about my birthday list! I love birthdays!

Every year around birthday time I make a list of a list of special things to do/try/make/experience that corresponds to my age. When I was 38 my list was “38 Before 39.”

On my list this year? (xx is the number of times I have travelled around the sun)

-Watch a movie under the stars

-have breakfast in bed

-collect xx pieces of beach glass from around the world

-bring the total number of countries I’ve visited to xx

-try xx kinds of whiskey

I’m just about to mark off an item as I head for afternoon tea on board with a new friend!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Any votes on what drink I should have now?

Captain’s Bounty (rummy) or Chairman of the Board (martini). Do you like Guinness? When they have the “British Pub Lunch” they used to have a drink called “Caribe Guinness” which is 1/2 can (not bottle which is higher in alcohol and tastes different) on ice in a beer glass, plus a shot of dark rum and bitters. Yummy.

If you go to main dining room for dinner, the bread rolls are worth having (and I don’t eat a lot of bread, but princess bread is good). I like the whole wheat or grainy ones. Also, crème brûlée is done well, usually, by princess. Lastly (for now!), I know you said you’re really not into pasta due to overkill on the vegetarian menus, the fettuccine Alfredo (ask for an appetizer portion, extra creamy), again, when it’s done right, is amazing and calorie-worthy. It USED to be served in a Parmesan cheese basket, and some have said with 24 hours notice they can make that for you (AMAZING), but I’ve not asked to have this since they stopped serving it that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WisCruiser2 said:

You an go to Guest Services and ask that it does not display name or photo - re photo, you can do as we did and upload photos of pets (or anything, in good taste please) for your "public" photo.

Yes this for anonymity:  DH is of Popeye (the sailor man) - a name all the grandkids call him.  Mine is Olive Oil 😄🤣  Gotta have a little fun!

popeye.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@YVRteacher, enjoying your ‘live’. 

FYI, it has been within the last year, Princess revised the display of Names on the door panel from your First AND Last name and now displays only last name initial.

Imagine before the electronic door panel, small paper tags with color of your loyalty tier and name were produced for each cruise and had to be manually inserted into the door slot. I have been told the door panel is actually an iPad like device and the camera is active for security.

As noted in previous posts, you can have info removed from door panel.

The Princess ‘tote’ bag in your closet is not cloth, pretty sure made from recycled plastic. It will disintegrate if exposed to sunlight over a prolonged period. They were recently reintroduced after being dropped with the restart. One cabin steward told me, so many are left to be discarded at the end of each sailing.

I will venture a guess as to why the APP will not work, is it related to version of operating system or model of your phone? Princess knows certain phones and operating systems are incompatible.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@YVRteacher, enjoying your ‘live’. 

FYI, it has been within the last year, Princess revised the display of Names on the door panel from your First AND Last name and now displays only last name initial.

Imagine before the electronic door panel, small paper tags with color of your loyalty tier and name were produced for each cruise and had to be manually inserted into the door slot. I have been told the door panel is actually an iPad like device and the camera is active for security.

As noted in previous posts, you can have info removed from door panel.

The Princess ‘tote’ bag in your closet is not cloth, pretty sure made from recycled plastic. It will disintegrate if exposed to sunlight over a prolonged period. They were recently reintroduced after being dropped with the restart. One cabin steward told me, so many are left to be discarded at the end of each sailing.

I will venture a guess as to why the APP will not work, is it related to version of operating system or model of your phone? Princess knows certain phones and operating systems are incompatible.

No, that is not the reason.

• Like 1

Afternoon tea was popular and jolly delightful! As new friends and I got to know each other better we discovered 3/4 of us are librarians!

I loved the whole experience, found the service to be excellent, loved the conversation, the live music (pianist and violinist) and the scrumptious offerings.

Dessert was served first

IMG_6371.thumb.jpeg.956be717db5072915f04021216eff451.jpeg

Then sandwiches

IMG_6372.thumb.jpeg.dbe2d539c7ac899948178c8160a68497.jpeg

Followed by warm scones with sweet strawberry jam and not-the-right-kind-of-clotted-cream-but-who-cares

IMG_6374.thumb.jpeg.24170be3fd7da23f481656f64f3d4856.jpeg

And another round of sandwiches which I did not resist because I love egg salad sandwiches!

IMG_6375.thumb.jpeg.032d0c795efb0d2fed5a991953d7b64b.jpeg

The cucumber finger sandwich was clearly having a rough day and was in a bit of a pickle.

IMG_6373.thumb.jpeg.75f39df3577c84b25417ad757daa955d.jpeg

I did BYOB and brought my own pineapple mimosa to afternoon tea.

That hit the spot!

Sorry the photos aren’t great-these servers move as fast as the shuttle driver from the Marriott Springhill!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, wallyj said:

Yes, rumor has it as the most ordered Margarita on Princess.

I am definitely going to try that later today!

2 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I did not see a V by the burrata, which looks delicious in other’s photos,wonder why?

Burrata is traditionally made using animal rennet in the process; that may be why. There are some varieties now made with vegetable-based rennet so Yvonne could certainly ask if the cheese on her cruise is made in this manner.

I am sure stewards see much more than they would care to experience.  Your items (unless really racy) is tame.

I "heard" that the dirty banana is one of the favorites.  I have yet to try it.  I can't do Reeses, although I love chocolate and peanut better...just not together.  I used to tell my students that they would get bonus points for bringing me Pepsi...but detention points for Reeses. 

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

This post may fall into the TMI category. I washed my undies yesterday and draped them over the towel rack.

I was so tired after minimal sleep that I forgot about them. The room steward has already made up the cabin and he hung the towels beside the undies.

Room steward saw my undies!!

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Any votes on what drink I should have now?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I "heard" that the dirty banana is one of the favorites.  

I have the virgin dairy banana- 1/2 a banana, cream, chocolate sauce, ice in a bender.  It is like a chocolate milkshake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I took your advice and booked Sabatini’s on Italian night. Thank you. 

I'm jealous have to wait over 100 days for my Godfather. Love this drink and get it here each time before dinner after it I get a Lemoncello.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I have now decided that Princess is not the place if you are in the witness protection program as they display everyone’s name on the digital screen outside cabin doors.

Oh no, no, no.  I prefer my anonymity. On the other hand, it would come in handy when searching the hallways for Cute Young Bucks.

Glad to read it can be changed...that would be my first request onboard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Are there any nuts on this ship?

Enjoying following along as we are booked on the Island in 2026 for 54 days. Haven’t been on her in quite a few years but, there are usually nuts in the buffet areas at breakfast time, near the oatmeal. Ask if you don’t see any. We love to keep nuts in our cabin to snack on. 
We are not drinkers, but we’ve also been able to get some at the bars when asking. YMMV.

Also wanted to add: check your top drawer in the desk. Sometimes there is a newer hairdryer in there in addition to the “old” stuck to the wall ones.

Additionally, even though your app isn’t working, many of the app functions, like ordering food can be done on your tv. I can’t remember if dining reservations can be done this way, but menus do display.

Edited by sunviking90

I asked at the Good Spirits bar where I have now parked myself with a 24K Margarita. This drink is amazing: thank you to everyone who recommended it!

IMG_6380.thumb.jpeg.9e8263699ad7eea27334611c20981340.jpeg

They don’t do nuts at the bars anymore according to the bartender. Not since Covid.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Those who know me know how much I love little moments of joy.

Not only did I see this 

IMG_6379.thumb.jpeg.556e5a343fd433aafca59a1b4daee8ba.jpeg

but also I draped my stretchy pants over the chair when I changed into my shorts and tank top for reading in the sunshine out on deck. When I came back to the cabin they were in a sunbeam and were all warm and cozy! Sun warmed pants! For free! I love this ship.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

Overheard in the line up for afternoon tea today:

Tall mid-60ish man in a jovial tone:

“Honey, guess what just happened to me? I was walking down the hall to come and meet you and a woman was talking on her phone and looking down at her phone.

As I got closer, she realized I was there and said to the person on the other end ‘I have to watch where I’m going! There’s a studmuffin coming toward me!’

She was about 90 years old and she had a cane and she thinks I’m a studmuffin!

How about that, honey? I’m a studmuffin!”

Wife: “We are on with the right  crowd! Good job!”

• Haha 26

15 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Enjoying following along as we are booked on the Island in 2026 for 54 days. Haven’t been on her in quite a few years but, there are usually nuts in the buffet areas at breakfast time, near the oatmeal. Ask if you don’t see any. We love to keep nuts in our cabin to snack on. 
We are not drinkers, but we’ve also been able to get some at the bars when asking. YMMV.

Also wanted to add: check your top drawer in the desk. Sometimes there is a newer hairdryer in there in addition to the “old” stuck to the wall ones.

Additionally, even though your app isn’t working, many of the app functions, like ordering food can be done on your tv. I can’t remember if dining reservations can be done this way, but menus do display.

But how am I supposed to order food on the tv when I am always at the bar?

• Haha 15