Inputs on Viking tvs

Lenbro1944

Will be sailing on Viking Mars next summer. Want availability to watch Netflix. Is there an accessible hdmi input on tv to connect a steaming device ie. Apple TV? Is the WiFi signal strong enough to do this and is there a power outlet near tv to plug in the Apple TV?

34 minutes ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Will be sailing on Viking Mars next summer. Want availability to watch Netflix. Is there an accessible hdmi input on tv to connect a steaming device ie. Apple TV? Is the WiFi signal strong enough to do this and is there a power outlet near tv to plug in the Apple TV?

I always download the things I want to watch on Netflix, Crave, etc. before I leave home.  Works perfectly!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lenbro1944 said:

You won’t be able to connect any devices to the TV, including your Apple TV box. If you want to watch movies or TV shows on the stateroom TV you’re confined to those provided by Viking. Their on demand movie collection isn’t bad. They also have some TV series, TED talks, as well as the enrichment lectures and port talks. Good chance to re-watch Downton Abbey. Personally we never have time to watch anything. Too much happening on board.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

You won’t be able to connect any devices to the TV, including your Apple TV box

Agreed on Apple TV and streaming boxes. But on the other hand when we sailed in a penthouse junior suite we found that the second tv was completely exposed. The previous passengers had disconnected the Viking tv devices. I know because I had to hook it all back up! 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Agreed on Apple TV and streaming boxes. But on the other hand when we sailed in a penthouse junior suite we found that the second tv was completely exposed. The previous passengers had disconnected the Viking tv devices. I know because I had to hook it all back up! 🤣

Why doesn’t it surprise me that someone in a suite thought themselves privileged enough to take equipment apart to selfishly satisfy their own needs?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Why doesn’t it surprise me that someone in a suite thought themselves privileged enough to take equipment apart to selfishly satisfy their own needs?

And someone in a suite repaired it themselves 😉. Then again I’m everyone’s IT/AV some days. There was that one day where I mistakenly revealed my employer in the Explorer’s Lounge. 🙀

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

And someone in a suite repaired it themselves 😉. Then again I’m everyone’s IT/AV some days. There was that one day where I mistakenly revealed my employer in the Explorer’s Lounge. 🙀

I applauded your diligence. 
My point was it’s pretty selfish to take apart equipment and leave it that way to become someone else’s problem. Another data point showing a lot of people only think about themselves and are oblivious of others.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I applauded your diligence. 
My point was it’s pretty selfish to take apart equipment and leave it that way to become someone else’s problem. Another data point showing a lot of people only think about themselves and are oblivious of others.

Completely agreed. My guess is they never got it all to work. 😎

• Like 1

You are all forgetting (or ignoring) that Viking does kindly ask guests to refrain from streaming of any kind on their wifi.  For obvious reasons.  

Please be considerate of your other passengers and don't stream.  You are on vacation.  You can always download Netflix, or Prime videos or whatever, for watching on your own.  Or use your cell phones services (versus Viking wifi).

Thank you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You are all forgetting (or ignoring) that Viking does kindly ask guests to refrain from streaming of any kind on their wifi.  For obvious reasons.  

Please be considerate of your other passengers and don't stream.  You are on vacation.  You can always download Netflix, or Prime videos or whatever, for watching on your own.  Or use your cell phones services (versus Viking wifi).

Thank you!

You should include FaceTime in that. It seems to be an annoying trend in public areas. Any video streaming should be avoided. I also turn off synching my photos to the cloud. I take a memory stick to back up photos, especially the large video files.

• Like 1

I guess this only matters for those "upper class" folks in the junior suites 8-), but if you bring a Chromecast and also download your videos in advance to your phone / tablet / laptop, you can "cast' them over to your TV and watch them on the TV instead of on your smaller screen. This won't affect everyone else on the ship negatively and won't be slowed down by slow wi-fi.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

You should include FaceTime in that. It seems to be an annoying trend in public areas. Any video streaming should be avoided. I also turn off synching my photos to the cloud. I take a memory stick to back up photos, especially the large video files.

Absolutely, Joe!   In fact, last cruise I saw more and more abuse of the use of Facetime calls in public places, I sadly learned more about fellow passengers than I cared to!   People do seem to be either oblivious to others around them or else they want to show off.    The other issue I saw this time is people watching news programs live on speaker phone on their ipads - just what other passengers in the Explorers lounge want.  I asked a guy once what was he doing and he said at home he always watches nightly news with his cocktails.  I said, but you aren't home now are you!!

I also turn off photo synching to cloud and also carry a memory stick !  We think alike.  🙂

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

I guess this only matters for those "upper class" folks in the junior suites 8-), but if you bring a Chromecast and also download your videos in advance to your phone / tablet / laptop, you can "cast' them over to your TV and watch them on the TV instead of on your smaller screen. This won't affect everyone else on the ship negatively and won't be slowed down by slow wi-fi.

Wow, you can cast to those tv's, I didn't know that.

15 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Wow, you can cast to those tv's, I didn't know that.

Only if you bring a Chromecast and there's space behind the TV to plug it in. I'll be on-board soon so I can try it out for myself.

Of course, if you do this yourself, make sure to plug everything back in the way you found it before you disembark! 8-)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Absolutely, Joe!   In fact, last cruise I saw more and more abuse of the use of Facetime calls in public places, I sadly learned more about fellow passengers than I cared to!   People do seem to be either oblivious to others around them or else they want to show off.    The other issue I saw this time is people watching news programs live on speaker phone on their ipads - just what other passengers in the Explorers lounge want.  I asked a guy once what was he doing and he said at home he always watches nightly news with his cocktails.  I said, but you aren't home now are you!!

I also turn off photo synching to cloud and also carry a memory stick !  We think alike.  🙂

A classy solution would be for Viking to stock cheap wired earbuds at all the bars. They only cost a few dollars in bulk. If someone on staff sees this then they can offer one to the passenger, which hopefully they'll either accept or else they'll be embarrassed and stop themselves. If they don't take the hint, the staff can mention that it's policy to not play anything on a speaker in a common area, and again offer the earbud.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

A classy solution would be for Viking to stock cheap wired earbuds at all the bars. They only cost a few dollars in bulk. If someone on staff sees this then they can offer one to the passenger, which hopefully they'll either accept or else they'll be embarrassed and stop themselves. If they don't take the hint, the staff can mention that it's policy to not play anything on a speaker in a common area, and again offer the earbud.

They already have earbuds for the QuietVox

49 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Only if you bring a Chromecast and there's space behind the TV to plug it in. I'll be on-board soon so I can try it out for myself.

Of course, if you do this yourself, make sure to plug everything back in the way you found it before you disembark! 8-)

Please post how the chromecast goes. Other cruisers said no place to plug it into. We’ll be in a junior suite which I think has a 2nd tv in sitting area that might work.

1 minute ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

They already have earbuds for the QuietVox

Plug for these won't work on most modern phones/ipads/laptops. But I love the idea of offering earphones to all the intrusive oldies loudly FaceTiming at the bar.  No one wants to hear squealy brats that are not yours.  

2nd tv in PJ might work.  In all our cabins the "basic tv" has no access to the back.  It was told to me they are just monitors for Viking's in house tv/movie systems .  Most definitely not smart tvs.

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Don't get your hopes up, as others have said there is no way to get to the hdmi ports on tv's in most cabin types. The tv's are flush mounted to the wall.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

LOL.  Tongue in cheek, I'm sure.  😊

16 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

My new phone does not have a jack for headphones.  Can only use blue tooth.  But then I never Facetime and have never ever called anyone while on vacation.  However what a great way for staff to let speaker squakers know they are being rude.

• Like 1

On a previous cruise last September, there was a table of 4 from New York, next to us in restaurant at lunch time on a sea day, who did a FaceTime call for at least 30 minutes with all tables around hearing the whole conversation. They were so loud & totally oblivious to anyone else. So, so rude😠

• Like 2