Random Reflections on Serenity’s 2 July ‘24 Vancouver Roundtrip

BWIVince

Posted (edited)

As promised, I’m going to slowly add installments of observations from my recent Alaska cruise, the July 2nd Vancouver roundtrip on Serenity.  Everyone is more than welcome to chime in with their opinions and experiences, or to question/discuss/debate anything I post, as always.  On many of these experiences I have some pretty strong opinions, but they are just that – opinions.  My experiences or opinions may not match those of others, and everyone is welcome to disagree.

Crew

I’ll start off with something less controversial…  The crew were outstanding, and seamlessly matched my experiences with Old Crystal as well as my expectations.  That’s not surprising since the return rate of OC crew is ~90% at this point, and continues to slowly climb.  Familiar faces abound, and the greetings from them are familiar, warm and sincere.  

Some of the newer crew members seemed to be less prepared for some of the requests that some of Crystal’s guests customarily make, but (with one exception) none of them struggled with them or resisted.  Everyone seemed extremely well trained, even the ones that were new to Crystal.

If I have one mixed observation, it would be around some of the butlers.  Based on stories from other guests, and one unfortunate experience with the daytime coverage butlers, it seems like the service from some of the butlers is kind of uneven and some of them might not be in the right roles.

That said, the section of rooms I was in was served by Sandeep, and he did an outstanding job.  He quickly caught on that I’m a nibbler, and kept my stateroom stocked with various snacks like the fresh fruit, nuts/dry snacks, and often a cheese tray after turndown for nibbling at night.  As I had a veranda double I wasn’t entitled to the daily afternoon hors d’oeuvres, but overall my room had a much higher degree of catering than ever before in Crystal’s history, setting aside things you have to actively request each time, like room service.  The butlers who know how to personalize the experience for each guest truly elevate the product.  Stewardess service in my room (by Puii and Leanne) was equally excellent, and the room was kept immaculate and well stocked as always.

More to come soon…

Vince

Edited by BWIVince
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

The Bistro

Since Serenity's launched, and through the various refits of both ships, I've always preferred the decor of Symphony's Bistro to Serenity's, though I think the flow of the Bistro on Serenity works better than Symphony's.  I haven't seen Symphony's yet since it was refit, but I think the update to the Serenity's is a huge improvement.  I love the decor and new chairs all the way around.  I do have a few observations, for better or worse...

First, the room on Serenity worked fine without being able to sit at the "bar", but I'm glad the bar seating stayed with Symphony's refit...  That bar seating is really key to the vibe of Symphony's Bistro, unlike Serenity's.

Second, it's a small thing, but the room felt really stark without the flowers on the tables.  The quasi-winter garden/jungle theme wasn't enough to make up for the lack of life on the tables.  This wasn't the only place that the lack of flowers or orchids was noticed, but it was one of the most impactful absences.

Third, the room was set up in the CDC-compliant staff service mode, due to the US port calls and lack of a guest hand washing facility.  I didn't think this was a big deal, but if you need silverware for something, be sure to ask for it because more often than not the crew working the buffet didn't ask you if you needed any.  Most mornings I sat and had tea with a friend while he ate breakfast, and it was kind of amusing to watch people that (generally) hadn't had any coffee yet, have to get back up and go back to the buffet to ask for silverware after they had just sat down with their food a minute before.  The crew shouldn't be expected to read minds (though MANY appear to!), but I think the pre-caffeinated state of the guests is a funny factor in play here.

Lastly, I'm still very surprised they kicked the can down the road with the hand washing facility, especially knowing in the refit design stages that the ship was going to spend so much time in North America in its first few years.  It's never idea to do redesign and refit work to a just refit area -- a waste of money and materials that are in real need elsewhere.

Anyway, no real negatives, just observations...  Love the new Bistro.

53887592322_ff1925b7fe_b.jpg

New decor details in The Bistro.

Vince

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yes— “Where have all the flowers gone?”  No orchid sprays in the rooms, no vases on the tables in the Bistro or in the Waterside.  The only flowers that I can remember seeing were two arrangements at the Reception Desk and on the tables in the specialty restaurants.

I asked one of the Food & Beverage officers about the change.  He murmured something about “Covid”, but never elaborated on it.

Emily

• Like 3

We talked to Scott Peterson about the hand washing situation in the Bistro last September on one of the early cruises. It's not that they "kicked the can" on this. He said they looked at multiple options during the refit, but could not come up with a workable solution that made sense in that space.

13 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

We talked to Scott Peterson about the hand washing situation in the Bistro last September on one of the early cruises. It's not that they "kicked the can" on this. He said they looked at multiple options during the refit, but could not come up with a workable solution that made sense in that space.

To me, that's kicking the can down the road.  They can leave it this way on the existing ships until they retire them, which may be the most cost effective solution in the end, but that's still kicking the can down the road since they're putting off fixing a violation.  Since the buffet is set up for self-service (and I saw multiple people go behind the ropes and quickly help themselves at some point before the staff noticed and said something), Crystal still has to present this as a mitigation plan for the violation every time the ships are inspected -- which can't be a fun process for either side long term...  But it's not my circus.  🙂 

Vince

• Like 1

Vince,

Don't know if you plan to review the public restrooms on the Serenity, but thought I'd chime in on the women's restrooms, since you wouldn't have experienced them. I don't believe they have ever been updated since the ship was built. They really need a complete gut job, way past being described as "tired". The floor plans can stay so that plumbing wouldn't need to change. 

Patty

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Vince,

Don't know if you plan to review the public restrooms on the Serenity, but thought I'd chime in on the women's restrooms, since you wouldn't have experienced them. I don't believe they have ever been updated since the ship was built. They really need a complete gut job, way past being described as "tired". The floor plans can stay so that plumbing wouldn't need to change. 

Patty

I'm going to guess that the ladies rooms are probably in worse shape than the mens rooms, based on your comments.  Not that they're not tired, but they're in pretty decent shape all things considered, and in better shape than almost all of Symphony's mens rooms (except for maybe the one "new" one that's not original).  I don't have as many notes on Serenity to be able to state with certainty what's been updated in the mens rooms over the years, but I must admit the mens rooms do look how I remember them when the ship was new.  That said though, the wallpaper and other things may have been updated and it would fly under the radar of my memory.  The vanities, cabinetry, mirrors and such are just as I remember though.  The faucets do look newer.

53889546569_8ee1927a84_b.jpg

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, John Cruise said:

I was on the same cruise and thought the men’s 

rooms were great.

👍

No offense but the vast majority of men don't have the same standards as most women when it comes to public restrooms!! 😁😮😏

Patty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

No offense but the vast majority of men don't have the same standards as most women when it comes to public restrooms!! 😁😮😏

Patty

Is this an admission you frequent men’s rooms to perform spot checks for cleanliness!? 🤔😱

(asking for a friend…) 😉

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, BEAV said:

Is this an admission you frequent men’s rooms to perform spot checks for cleanliness!? 🤔😱

(asking for a friend…) 😉

No, just an observation after being around men for 77 years!!! 😁

Patty

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Posted (edited)

When my kids were kids they shared a bathroom with one sink. It was always a mess. Then we moved and their bathroom had 2 sinks. Guess where the mess was? The prize goes to the one who guessed my daughter’s sink!

Edited by Txcotn
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Bistro -- Obviously they did a cost/benefit calculation.  For 3 months every two years was it worth it.  It only affects Alaska season sailings on a full time basis.  Caribbean really not (except for Mia and FLL), plus occasional stops in NY or Boston. 

To me it was functional.  But decor is stark and non-inviting.  Still love the place. 

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Bistro -- Obviously they did a cost/benefit calculation.  For 3 months every two years was it worth it.  It only affects Alaska season sailings on a full time basis.  Caribbean really not (except for Mia and FLL), plus occasional stops in NY or Boston. 

To me it was functional.  But decor is stark and non-inviting.  Still love the place. 

I agree completely with all that, but I would add some more ports to the list.  Caribbean adds itineraries that call in SJU or STT as well (among common Crystal ports).  Canada and New England itineraries and Pacific Coast repositioning add some more cities as well.  That doesn't change anything in the end though.

While we're on the subject of stark -- next up in the thread is Osteria d'Ovidio, as soon as I get past a big work project today.

Vince

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

We were on Serenity 2-9 July.  Wonderful experience.  Agree on our visits to the Bistro we found the lighting very bright and the room definitely had a stark or sterile feeling,   Maybe soften the lighting?  Staff were fantastic. 

• Like 4

As to bright lighting, don't I remeber that the lighting in Osteria and Umi Uma was changed at the remodel and then they determined that it was too bright and could not be adjusted until a dry dock? Thinking that might also apply at the Bistro. 

While we are on the subject of Osteria and Umi Uma, I went to each twice on the two weeks I was on the ship. Umi Uma was almost crowded both times, my thought was at least a few tables should have been left open, but know they were trying to get as many people as possible in on a 7 day cruise. Osteria, on the other hand, not so busy. It seems the "authentic" menu isn't as appealing to the majority of Crystal cruisers. But like I've always said, if that's what the boss wants, and without his money Crystal would not be back, a small price for us loyal cruisers to pay for everything else being better than ever.

Patty

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

As to bright lighting, don't I remeber that the lighting in Osteria and Umi Uma was changed at the remodel and then they determined that it was too bright and could not be adjusted until a dry dock? Thinking that might also apply at the Bistro. 

I had assumed they corrected most of the lighting issues, in terms of hardware?  Umi Uma was harder to tell since it was very bright out when we dined and the room was filled with natural light for most of the meal, but when we were in Osteria it was much more cozy, and didn't look like the initial pictures posted after the ship entered service (thankfully).  (I'm not sure about the fixtures in the Bistro.)

As @360Guy mentioned though, the Bistro during the day was definitely like having coffee in an LED showroom.  I was going to mention the lighting level when I touched on decor, but because I was kind of focusing on differences, it's not much different than I was used to with (OC) Symphony.  Symphony's Bistro lighting pre-refit was also cranked up full-blast in the mornings, so I was kind of used to it, but of course the effect was quite different because of the lighting fixtures and decor being warmer in that case.  Sometimes bright doesn't equal bright.

Vince

• Like 2

Vince - I'm loving your reflections on the Serenity.  Keep them coming please.  And, it was a complete pleasure to meet and chat with you on board.  You are one of the "Crystal-ebreties" I was pleased to meet on my San Diego/Alaska cruise. Hope to sail with you again.

Bill

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CabinBoy2020 said:

Vince - I'm loving your reflections on the Serenity.  Keep them coming please.  And, it was a complete pleasure to meet and chat with you on board.  You are one of the "Crystal-ebreties" I was pleased to meet on my San Diego/Alaska cruise. Hope to sail with you again.

Bill

Thanks for the kind words, Bill!  The feeling is completely mutual!  I look forward to sailing with you again -- hopefully sooner instead of later.

I know I was really out of sorts on this cruise because of my illness, but the company of the other wonderful passengers was one of the very best aspects of this sailing.  SO MANY wonderful people to meet, chat with, get to know, and share a meal or drink.  Crystal passengers are really special!

Vince

• Like 5

Osteria d'Ovidio

Ok, here we go...  I’ll try to take a stab at describing my experience and the perspective that developed from it, hopefully without offending too many people.

First, the overview – I loved it, and I felt it was a SOLID upgrade over Prego, for what I was looking for.

That said, I completely understand why others don’t care for it (or worse).

I’ll start with the concept, because I think that’s where we lose a lot of people.  Osteria d’Ovidio is to classic Italian regional cuisine what modern American cuisine is to classic American regional cuisine.  It’s a modernist approach, with a little deconstruction and a little reinterpretation thrown in.

To a lot of us it’s fun – to others it’s probably confusing and frustrating.  It’s kind of like the left side of a Waterside menu, except it’s native to the whole concept.

There’s not a question about whether it’s authentically Italian or not – the question is what variety or subcategory of Italian you’re trying to compare it against.  That’s where the discussion seems to go off-track.  This is clearly not the Italian American or classic Italian regional cuisine that a lot of travelers (especially Americans) are used to.  I think for a lot of us, that’s the attraction to Osteria – clearly for others, it’s not.

IMHO, its long-term success or failure will be based on whether Crystal can do a better job of explaining the concept to passengers to better set expectations, and then selling it to passengers so they know exactly what they’ll get and why they should want to try it.  IMHO, they can tweak the items and the format, but they can’t “fix” it by just adding back the Italian American and classic Italian regional items that people are nostalgic for – that would just completely break the concept.  (It’d be like adding the Chinese or Thai items that people liked from Jade Garden to the Umi Uma menu.)

There were multiple items for each course I wanted to try, but to be able to appreciate the modernist reinterpretations, I went with the dishes that I was most familiar with from my family, or from the regions of Italy that my family is from/influenced our traditions.

Here’s what I sampled:

53841079882_24d1b850e1_b.jpg

First, here’s the bread service.  The taralli (round things in the center) were something I haven’t seen since my grandparents passed away, but the first thing I grabbed from the basket.  True to form for Osteria, I don’t know if they’d be a popular thing with most passengers, but I was glad they were served.  They’re a breadstick-like cracker made with wine and olive oil.

53889944745_cfe4c813b6_b.jpg

I was at the other end of the table and couldn’t hear the description of the amuse bouche from server, but everything was delicious.  

53842415680_487304f30f_b.jpg

Next was the Astice appetizer – lobster in “Acquasale”, tomato essence and basil olive oil.  Again, this is a really cool modern interpretation, as acquasale is a type of bread salad in southern Italy.

53842423220_f6e5bcde6b_b.jpg

After the lobster I had the Baccala, which is again a modern take on the famous Italian salt cod tradition.  The description for this is steamed cod, potato foam, rosemary and trout roe.  Again, perfectly prepared, and a fun take on Baccala.

53841083307_8ddfc69e1f_b.jpg

For my main I went with the Agnello – lamb chops with sweet onion, balsamic and sea asparagus.  Every element was perfectly prepared.

53842424215_5f1a8f2306_b.jpg

For dessert I needed something light, so I went for the white peach sorbet topped with prosecco.  

53841974631_e0aaf10d23_b.jpg

Wine service was excellent through the meal, with wines (and more) being paired to the courses.  I had trouble keeping up with the wine glasses, but I was the only one at the table that did.  Haha  (Names being withheld to protect the innocent.)

I'd have taken a closer picture of the flower on the table if I had realized it was going to be the last one I saw anywhere on the ship.  lol

In summary -- YMMV.  Personally, I enjoyed this meal far more than any meal I ever had in Prego on any of the 3 ocean ships over the past 30-something years.  I know and respect that others feel differently.

Vince

• Like 19

7 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks Vince for posting your honest comments. It is refreshing. Were you sick while onboard? Are you feeling fine now?

Ivi

Thanks Ivi!  It wasn't anything serious, but it was a really bad episode of gout, so I was in pain pretty much the whole cruise and had limited mobility.  I'm better now but I have another follow-up appointment next week for a longer term look.

When I get some more time I'll take a stab at the cabins...  That's gonna be a meaty subject.

Vince

• Like 4

Both the lamb and the lobster were two of the best servings we had on our voyage.  We did 3X visits, and substituted our 2nd Umi visit for Osteria.

• Like 2

As usual, I am enjoying your thoughts from the cruise Vince. I am sorry that you were dealing with Gout but it sounds like you still had a very nice time.  I hope you are able to get to a stage where it is less bothersome.

I too understand why some people like Osteria (we do like it) while some prefer Prego.  

The food at Osteria many are not accustomed to.

For us we very much enjoyed Osteria as they serve items that we don't make at home and find at our local restaurants.  

With all due respect to Prego many items served there Anne Marie made at home over the years prior to us even sailing Crystal and I thought her cooking was far better than Prego.  Probably because she was cooking for far fewer people. Maybe also because she is half Italian and she grew up with her Nana whose family came over from Italy.

I can't remember the targeted time frame but they plan to update Osteria with a new menu developed by another Michelin Chef.

Keith

• Like 4

We attended the Q & A while on the last leg of the World Cruise and the menu at Osteria was a “hot” topic.  The management team said they were bringing in a top Italian chef to “tweak” and modify the menu. They were very defensive about the menu but open to modifications.  

We found the menu to be odd at first but we enjoyed it much more on return visits.  So far, between the cruises on the Symphony and Serenity we have eaten at the Osteria seven times and to be honest the only complaint is the menu needs to have more special dishes in order to provide more choices.  

• Like 6