Random Reflections on Serenity’s 2 July ‘24 Vancouver Roundtrip

BWIVince

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

And dressing for dinner with two persons might mean war  🙂

@BWIVince as an Engineer we tend to design for building and producibility rather than use.  That is why we have HMI engineers involved to align the human use cases into the design.  Obviously the refits were a rush job to get the ships back into service so this did not occur.

Even in the new Sapphire Suite, there are lots of bath issues, including the need for the towel on the floor.

We survived just fine. But it was only nine nights.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

Why on earth have that carpet which looks as if someone or their dog has had a horrible accident on it?

I believe it's because when the inevitable spills on the carpet occur, they will not be nearly as noticeable.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

I believe it's because when the inevitable spills on the carpet occur, they will not be nearly as noticeable.

100%!  The patterns are to hide the spills, and the darkness is to hide the dirt and traffic.

Vince

• Like 1

OK, having not yet sailed NC I'm now confused about the back and forth on the cabin Vince had.  Isn't this the same size as the standard verandah cabin on OC?  We've sailed in one of those many times and, while tight, we had no trouble making it work for two occupants(and this was back in the day when I hauled the black tie rig.)  So are there alterations to the drawers/closet/bathroom that make the NC verandah cabins less hospitable for a couple?  Just trying to figure out our booking strategy for any future cruises. 

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

OK, having not yet sailed NC I'm now confused about the back and forth on the cabin Vince had.  Isn't this the same size as the standard verandah cabin on OC?  We've sailed in one of those many times and, while tight, we had no trouble making it work for two occupants(and this was back in the day when I hauled the black tie rig.)  So are there alterations to the drawers/closet/bathroom that make the NC verandah cabins less hospitable for a couple?  Just trying to figure out our booking strategy for any future cruises. 

Yes, square footage remains the same. The difference is storage and closet space. The closet hanging space is about 2 feet shorter and there is much less drawer space. It is still sufficient for the vast majority of solo travelers but many, many couples find it too limited. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

That's a valid question... 

Yes, the veranda doubles are the same size they ever were.  If you didn't have any problem with two people living in them before, you probably won't now.

Yes, there were alternations to the storage that MAY impact your experience.  We've lost about 16" of closet rack (but most of it remains), and the drawers have shifted to generally being fewer and slightly larger overall, plus a little more shelf/cubby space than before.  

I agree with Patty overall, but I think it depends on the couple.  I cruised with my parents many times growing up, and even when we went on a 12 or 14 day cruise, they would have had NO problem fitting their stuff in the current storage situation in these cabins.  We sailed on many ships that had less storage space than this (including 14 days on Crystal Harmony), and back in those days the dress codes required more diversity of wardrobe, and it still wasn't a problem for them.  I think it just depends on the couples, honestly.

Is it competitive?  No.  Is it ideal?  No.  Is it serviceable?  I think for many it's fine.  It just takes some awareness of your needs and booking accordingly.

Vince

[PS -- I got called into a meeting and I see Patty already replied, but I'll go ahead and click submit anyway even though I'm pretty much saying the same thing since I already had this composed.]

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

That's a valid question... 

Yes, the veranda doubles are the same size they ever were.  If you didn't have any problem with two people living in them before, you probably won't now.

Yes, there were alternations to the storage that MAY impact your experience.  We've lost about 16" of closet rack (but most of it remains), and the drawers have shifted to generally being fewer and slightly larger overall, plus a little more shelf/cubby space than before.  

I agree with Patty overall, but I think it depends on the couple.  I cruised with my parents many times growing up, and even when we went on a 12 or 14 day cruise, they would have had NO problem fitting their stuff in the current storage situation in these cabins.  We sailed on many ships that had less storage space than this (including 14 days on Crystal Harmony), and back in those days the dress codes required more diversity of wardrobe, and it still wasn't a problem for them.  I think it just depends on the couples, honestly.

Is it competitive?  No.  Is it ideal?  No.  Is it serviceable?  I think for many it's fine.  It just takes some awareness of your needs and booking accordingly.

Vince

[PS -- I got called into a meeting and I see Patty already replied, but I'll go ahead and click submit anyway even though I'm pretty much saying the same thing since I already had this composed.]

Ah, thanks for this(and to Patty too.)  Guess I'll just have to gauge whether my current waist line better comports to a double or Aquamarine.  (Consider the Orca Suite jokes already made.) 😄  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1