Just realized that there are no more succulent planters in the Haven rooms

Not a big deal, and I've done a few cruises without seeing that the small planters with cactus like plants are no more.  The fresh flowers went the way of the Dodo bird a few years ago.   I did miss the flowers when they were replaced by live plants (that often were dying in the container), but they seemed kind of a waste. 

• Like 1

I kept rotating that sorry looking container towards the light every day.  I won't miss them.  They are easy to knock off the coffee table ( which creates a big mess for the room steward).  I feel they were put there to give a more " Home-like" feel, but they did look pathetic ( very small, and mostly on the dying end).  Im with you, flowers would be nicer.  Maybe have a certificate that can redeemed only once per cruise to have a nice little vase of flowers.  I bet many folks won't even redeem the certificate, so they would actually be saving in the long run.  

• Like 1

I did enjoy them....I actually preferred the flowers, but whatevs! Succulents were a nice touch though. It was nice to have a wee bit of soil and plant onboard to look at. Norwegian knows it won't really impact cruisers a whole lot though. It is a cut I can look past. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This ?? 

PXL_20220510_024339980_MP.thumb.jpg.b7569a3669659e371d69dd718cc86163.jpg

We had them in our Joy family suites then ... small & almost out of place, decorative.  Look like an item easily found at the Dollar Store, Ikea or Target/Walmart.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

This ?? 

PXL_20220510_024339980_MP.thumb.jpg.b7569a3669659e371d69dd718cc86163.jpg

We had them in our Joy family suites then ... small & almost out of place, decorative.  Look like an item easily found at the Dollar Store, Ikea or Target/Walmart.  

That's pretty much what they looked like when we had them in the Haven. I had to really crop this image down so you could see it (and I know it's not great), but here's a photo of the succulent we had on our Pr1ma Transatlantic.

image.thumb.jpeg.649308679d3f03efc5a118145bf21ce2.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's pretty much what they looked like when we had them in the Haven ... on our Pr1ma Transatlantic.

Found a better one ... without needing to zoom and crop up the image.  Live ones from Amazon are inexpensive but do need some natural sunlight, these aren't (I think) and I'm sure minimal to zero care are necessary.  To sail and sustain, not a deal breaker but it's the extra touch done to highlight that "exceptional" cruise experience, going above & beyond.  

PXL_20220510_022940996.thumb.jpg.44f03913b88fde2c7d1e4679c0865283.jpg

Oh well, our own traveling mascots to the rescue since we routinely sail in steerage, with a few tricks to decorate and personalize our cabin.   

BTW, that's one of the "treats" delivered (twice on the 7 nights cruise) by housekeeping on a cart to all the suites along the corridor ... the other one was an assortment of cookies (same ones that one can (use to)) find at the buffet or observation lounge during afternoon tea time)  It was a good thing that there're just 3 of us in the 2 bedroom "suite" and the "Price (was) Right" or reasonable when we booked it last minute.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Found a better one ... without needing to zoom and crop up the image.  Live ones from Amazon are inexpensive but do need some natural sunlight, these aren't (I think) and I'm sure minimal to zero care are necessary.  To sail and sustain, not a deal breaker but it's the extra touch done to highlight that "exceptional" cruise experience, going above & beyond.  

PXL_20220510_022940996.thumb.jpg.44f03913b88fde2c7d1e4679c0865283.jpg

Oh well, our own traveling mascots to the rescue since we routinely sail in steerage, with a few tricks to decorate and personalize our cabin.   

BTW, that's one of the "treats" delivered (twice on the 7 nights cruise) by housekeeping on a cart to all the suites along the corridor ... the other one was an assortment of cookies (same ones that one can (use to)) find at the buffet or observation lounge during afternoon tea time)  It was a good thing that there're just 3 of us in the 2 bedroom "suite" and the "Price (was) Right" or reasonable when we booked it last minute.  

That's a much better photo than my hidden succulent that was waiting on my bedside table...to be smashed onto the floor when my arms went flailing in the middle of the night. We quickly move the succulent (real or not) to the table far away from my sleeping antics. 

We sometimes we receive platters like that. With the exception of the strawberry, they are generally returned to the butler. I don't understand substandard "treat" deliveries. Give me a list to choose from or (gasp) save some money by eliminating all the treats delivered to suites. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always would re-plant the container.  Take plants out gently, dump the soil into laid out newspaper, loosen soil and then replant the plants.  And water, of course.    Carefully fold up newspaper in a tight ball and put in the trash.  No fuss, no muss - but a happier bunch of plants.    And I'd keep it near natural light, or outside when in port.  Always looked a bit better when I left, but that look probably didn't last more than a few cruises...   Thanks, everyone for the pictures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Always Cruising said:

I always would re-plant the container.  Take plants out gently, dump the soil into laid out newspaper, loosen soil and then replant the plants.  And water, of course.    Carefully fold up newspaper in a tight ball and put in the trash.  No fuss, no muss - but a happier bunch of plants.    And I'd keep it near natural light, or outside when in port.  Always looked a bit better when I left, but that look probably didn't last more than a few cruises...   Thanks, everyone for the pictures.

Thanks for caring for the plants! Every organism deserves care and love. I'm sad that I didn't think of this in the past. If there are succulents in the future, I'll be sure I let my husband know he needs to tend to the plants. This will make him feel right at home! 

• Like 1

I would water the planter but the room steward said not to. He watered it when needed and he said that if the plants die he has to pay for them!!! I don't know if this is true but it kept me from doing anything to them.

I enjoyed the fresh flowers, but the succulents seemed like a sad substitute.  I remember the first cruise we took after they replaced the flowers we both got a good chuckle at the poor little plant that was not in very good condition.  I can't say that I'll miss them.  Do miss the flowers though!

6 hours ago, jrt.mom said:

Add succulents to the list with cookies and hash browns, oh, the sad decline of NCL...

No hash browns but can confirm butler  delivered cookies  on the Breakaway this week.   

• Like 2