Monteverde Cloud Forest Aerial Tram & Hanging Bridges - worth it?

wine-wine-wine

DW and I will be voyaging on Viking Sky on the December "Panama Canal & the Pacific Coast" cruise.

Monteverde Cloud Forest Aerial Tram & Hanging Bridges looks very intriguing - but at almost 8 hours I am concerned. Is it worth it? Is the travel time immense from Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Can’t comment on the excursion you reference, but we did enjoy the Jungle Boat and Crocodile Safari

p.s. we loved the entire cruise, the canal traverse was brilliant

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

While you are waiting, two places to check out for additional input:

• Trip Advisor
  • Ports of Call forum here on Cruise Critic, look for it in the forums directory aka Categories.

Thanks! Have searched Trip Advisor - will next try asking in their discussion areas.  

Was trying to figure out which ports of call forum to use. As this is technically Central America I’m a little reluctant to post on the South America forum. And there isn’t a plain North America forum either. 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Thanks! Have searched Trip Advisor - will next try asking in their discussion areas.  

Was trying to figure out which ports of call forum to use. As this is technically Central America I’m a little reluctant to post on the South America forum. And there isn’t a plain North America forum either. 🤷‍♂️

Usually done with other Caribbean ports, so maybe there?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

DW and I will be voyaging on Viking Sky on the December "Panama Canal & the Pacific Coast" cruise.

Monteverde Cloud Forest Aerial Tram & Hanging Bridges looks very intriguing - but at almost 8 hours I am concerned. Is it worth it? Is the travel time immense from Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

What i always do when wondering about travel distances is consult Google Maps.  I can almost always determine where the ship will be docked and then find the location of the excursion.  Then I do a find directions and it tells me the distance and driving time to get there,  Monteverde Cloud Forest certainly sounds like a place that would be on Google Maps.  I am doing the FLL to FLL Panama Canal cruise and researching excursion lengths, locations and time spent in bus to decide if the time spent actually on the excursion is worth it to me.  If lunch is included plan on that being 1 hours time.

17 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

What i always do when wondering about travel distances is consult Google Maps.  I can almost always determine where the ship will be docked and then find the location of the excursion.  Then I do a find directions and it tells me the distance and driving time to get there,  Monteverde Cloud Forest certainly sounds like a place that would be on Google Maps.  I am doing the FLL to FLL Panama Canal cruise and researching excursion lengths, locations and time spent in bus to decide if the time spent actually on the excursion is worth it to me.  If lunch is included plan on that being 1 hours time.

Yep checked that before posting - no directions seem to be available in Costa Rica on either Apple or Google Maps...

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

When I plugged it into Google maps it said 1 hr. 50 min.

(Puerto Caldera to Monteverde Cloud Forest.)

Weird - they are going to take away my tech credentials here in Silicon Valley. 🙀 Good thing I was going to retire next April anyway. Thanks!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I spent three nights at Monteverde in 1983. (No Google or Apple maps then!) The Cloud Forest is at altitude (about 5,000 feet) so it takes a fair amount of time to get there from Puntarenas at sea level. But the time was well worth it — the Forest was one of the highlights of my Costa Rica trip.

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1