Any die hard HAL cruisers, please try and convert me :)

JENANDGENE

Thus far I have been a die hard RCI fan..... I had a great time on my first and felt no reason to wander. I still love RCI but feel it's time to broaden my horizons. My DH and I are mid 30's and I have a 3 year old daughter who may or may not sail with us.

Someone convince my to try HAL!!!

Thanks ~Jen

Corporations spend thousands of dollars defining their target markets.

For anyone to try to convert you, I think it would be important, first, for us to know what it was you liked so much about the other line. And don't worry, I'm sure there are enough cabins for everybody. susana.

Jen,

You should stay with RCI.

HAL ships are too difficult to book as it is.

Everytime we get another "convert" it becomes even more difficult to get an upgrade.

Wow - I guess that says it all. Why would you want to sail with anyone like this? :rolleyes:

Jen,

You should stay with RCI.

HAL ships are too difficult to book as it is.

Everytime we get another "convert" it becomes even more difficult to get an upgrade.

If all HAL cruisers are like you.... I'll stick with RCI. Guess you just shied away some possible revenue for HAL.

~Jen

If all HAL cruisers are like you.... I'll stick with RCI. Guess you just shied away some possible revenue for HAL.

~Jen

Jen, I hope you realize that Jim's post was very much "tongue in cheek"... at least that's the way I took it. Sort of like a nice little restaurant that you've discovered... don't tell too many people about it or it gets too popular and you can't get in anymore.

The 7 day cruises on HAL would probably be to your liking if you travel with your 3yo. There would probably be other children for your daughter to play with, but the ship would not likely be over run with kids. As to whether you and DH would enjoy HAL depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. HAL will be a little more laid back than RCI. If you are party animals, HAL may not be the best choice. If RCI seemed a little too loud and brassy for your tastes and you want to tone it down a little, HAL could be just what you're looking for.

You'll never know for sure unless you try, though...:)

Hi, JenandGene,

I'm looking forward to meeting you on the AOS. I think what Jim Gallup said was meant to be understood as being "tongue in cheek". Sometimes it is difficult to recognize humor without seeing the wry smile that would accompany the written word.

If you are looking for a more laid-back cruise with larger cabins, better food overall, excellent beds, fewer PA announcements, friendly crew, smaller ships, then try at least one HAL cruise to see if it is your cup of tea. Yes, the average age of pax is probably higher than on RCI, but not if you choose 7 day cruises when school is out. Yes, HAL has a very nice Club HAL program that your daughter will enjoy. No, you will not encounter people falling-down drunk anywhere on a HAL ship. At least I never have in my 10 HAL cruises.

Having said all of the above, why am I sailing on the AOS next month? Because the price was right, and because I can't really know what I'll like until I try it. I'll come back here and do a review afterward.

Grumpy, I knew I liked you. Where from in Ohio?

Now I'll keep this on topic. I think that choosing one cruise line over another is not quite the right way to look at it. Sometimes I want Mexican food for dinner. Sometimes the beef burgundy my DIL's mom makes for special occasions is what I crave. Both are perfect for me at different times.

My response was also meant to be "tongue in cheek" but I guess my sarcasm isn't quite as noticable LOL!

the2ofus_ looking forward to meeting you also, hopefully we can chat more about the differences there.

Now about me.... My DH and I are not what you would call "party animals" We are usually in bed before modnight on our cruises :) I don't think a quiter tone of the cruise would bother us, we love the RCI ships, decor and staff. We have always loved the food despite the reviews, probably because we are not really "gourmets" I also love the kids program on RCI as I have experienced it with other family members prior to having my daughter. I am a little worried about trying another line with her, I want her experience to be good as well. I also don't want to feel as though a 3 year old is out of place, which I know won't happen on RCI. This being said, I am rather bored with RCI's itineraries and also they do not have any ships that I have not been on that sail out of ports that we can drive to. I would rather drive than fly with my daughter. SO with all that said the Noordam out of NY has caught my eye as a possibility for next year and I am trying to see why HAL fans think it would be a good choice.....or not :)

Thanks

~Jen

Before our last cruise I would have agreed about better food overall - not anymore. the food was not good and the service was the worst we have ever had. A first for us on HAL. We are cruising again next month and hope we will not have a repeat. If we do, that will be the last HAL cruise we will take, much as we love the smaller ships, quiet areas, friendliness of passengers - the food is a big part of the cruising experience and HAL seems indifferent to our concerns.

Jen,

All the small children I have seen participating in Club HAL seem to have been enjoying the children's program. Also, the dining stewards, lido staff and cabin stewards are famous for the way they dote on small children and go out of their way to amuse them. They don't see their families for months at a time, so, look forward to seeing small children.

Many of the older folks on board will be grandparents and, while not wanting to be over-run with kids, will be pleased and charmed by a well-behaved three-year-old. (Which I am sure yours will be.:) ) Children's menus and high chairs are available in the dining room and there is always the Lido for dinner if formal dining with her every night is not an option you want to choose.

Be aware, Club HAL for the small children does not have late evening hours. However, I believe that some of the female members of the staff are available for (fee charged) babysitting services.

You caught me. I was being a bit "wry" with my comments.

But, seriously, when you have a great product (like HAL) there is no need to "talk someone into" buying it.

Nearly all HAL Ships sail full every cruise.

The Vista Ships frequently have waitlisted people in the terminals.

There is rarely any more revenue for HAL to get.

If a new cruiser joins HAL, an old cruiser can't get a cabin.

It is quite a lot like a favorite restaurant. As much as you like it, you hope that word doesn't get out; soon you can no longer get into the place.

Thus far I have been a die hard RCI fan..... I had a great time on my first and felt no reason to wander. I still love RCI but feel it's time to broaden my horizons. My DH and I are mid 30's and I have a 3 year old daughter who may or may not sail with us.

Someone convince my to try HAL!!!

Thanks ~Jen

I'd suggest you try Celebrity first. The transition shouldn't be too steep a climb for an RCCL-lover. After that, you could try HAL, then Princess, etc...

Archived