HAL to MSC Aurea: comparison and expectations

Greetings all! First-time poster. One-time cruisers. Family of 6: Myself and DW (late 40s), DS 15, 2XDS 13, DD 9. All DSes are near 6' or taller. Size-wise we're a party of 5 adults and one child.

Now that the demographics are out of the way, here's our history: Our first cruise was last month. It was a 10day itinerary on the HAL Nieuw Statendam (Iceland/Scotland/England/Amsterdam). We had adjoining FA oceanview cabins on the main level. It was narrow confines in steerage with a total of 4 bathrooms and 10 "beds", but we made it work. Even after 10 days, we managed not to get security called on us to break up any brawls. That's a win.

Why HAL? My parents are 3 Star Mariners. It was a multi-generational family trip to celebrate their 50th anniversary. They chose, we sailed. The ship was clean. The staff were on-point and pleasant (especially our cabin attendants). The food was decent. The destinations were fantastic. All-in-all we enjoyed our first cruise, even despite the small pools, lack of waterslides/parks, buffet madness, no crab available at the Pinnacle Grill, a few line-cutters, the out-of-tune lounge singers (I have relative pitch and my dissonance radar was on high alert), and everyone contracting some sort of illness either during or after the sailing.

Still with me? If so, thanks for reading. Enjoy a 🍭. Now to why I'm posting on an MSC forum:

I'm hooked on cruising. DW loves that she only has to unpack/pack once. The kids are less hooked, but they'll flip as soon as they see a ship with giant flumes on top. As a person with OCD is wont to do, I've been researching our next cruise since we got home. It feels like I've looked at every ship in every line's fleet. The only line that checks all of our boxes is MSC. Said boxes include:

• One suite big enough for all of us (multiple bedrooms and baths, plus a balcony).
  • Large ship with waterslides and a basketball court (very important for my tall, skinny DSes).
  • An included spa experience.
  • Private dining and lounging to escape to when steerage gets overwhelming.

As far as I can tell, a Two-Bedroom Grand Suite Aurea on MSC Seaside/Seashore/Seascape is our ticket. The layout and location are ideal. I've already status-matched with MSC to Classic. I found a 4day Bahamas itinerary out of Miami that breaks down to ~$150pp per day.

My questions: 

• Do the Aurea MDR and sun deck ever get crowded?
  • I know the Aurea MDR has no windows, but do the food, service and ambiance make that a non-issue?
  • We want beaches. Do Nassau and Ocean Cay have plenty of options? Will crowds be a factor in early November?
  • Who has an opinion on the Aurea experience?

PS: Sorry YC fans, we'd love to join you, but it just doesn't work for us budget and accommodation-wise. Maybe on a later cruise when it's just me and DW, assuming MSC fits our bill.

If you've read this far, you're a trooper. Here's another 🍭.

Posted (edited)

1. Not in my experience

2. I'm not clear on this question or why those things would make up for windows. It's the same food, but the service tends to be a little better than MDR as the server/guest ratio is better. You can go whenever you want, so you're not stuck with a time.

3 OC has a number of nice beaches. Nassau, bleh

4. I would guess that people who have sailed in Aurea would. 🙂  We enjoy Aurea when we're not in YC.

Edited by MonsterJoe
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the responses, @MonsterJoe!

3 minutes ago, MonsterJoe said:

2. I'm not clear on this question or why those things would make up for windows. It's the same food, but the service tends to be a little better than MDR as the server/guest ratio is better. You can go whenever you want, so you're not stuck with a time.

Yeah, sorry, that one needs more context. The MDR on the Nieuw Statendam had a ton of windows and was bright. It was nice. We'd be eating multiple meals in the Aurea MDR, so a cave-like ambiance would be a downer.

38 minutes ago, WhiskeyMikeDelta said:

Thank you for the responses, @MonsterJoe!

Yeah, sorry, that one needs more context. The MDR on the Nieuw Statendam had a ton of windows and was bright. It was nice. We'd be eating multiple meals in the Aurea MDR, so a cave-like ambiance would be a downer.

Always interesting to learn how people enjoy things differently. I don't think I've ever eaten anything but dinner in the restaurant while in Aurea, in fact I think the Aurea dining room may only be open for dinner.  All other sit down you would do in the MDR (somebody will correct me if I am mistaken) - so you could take your pick of whichever was brightest - or go to the buffet and eat outside where there is plenty of seating.

• Thanks 1

Only dinner is served in the Aurea restaurant.  Breakfast is in the main ,large MDR as is lunch/brunch on sea days.  Buffet is open for all meals.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Only dinner is served in the Aurea restaurant.  Breakfast is in the main ,large MDR as is lunch/brunch on sea days.  Buffet is open for all meals.  EM

And if I remember correctly (I’ve gone through so many posts on this forum), there is an Aurea entrance to the main MDR?

2 hours ago, WhiskeyMikeDelta said:

Greetings all! First-time poster. One-time cruisers. Family of 6: Myself and DW (late 40s), DS 15, 2XDS 13, DD 9. All DSes are near 6' or taller. Size-wise we're a party of 5 adults and one child.

Now that the demographics are out of the way, here's our history: Our first cruise was last month. It was a 10day itinerary on the HAL Nieuw Statendam (Iceland/Scotland/England/Amsterdam). We had adjoining FA oceanview cabins on the main level. It was narrow confines in steerage with a total of 4 bathrooms and 10 "beds", but we made it work. Even after 10 days, we managed not to get security called on us to break up any brawls. That's a win.

Why HAL? My parents are 3 Star Mariners. It was a multi-generational family trip to celebrate their 50th anniversary. They chose, we sailed. The ship was clean. The staff were on-point and pleasant (especially our cabin attendants). The food was decent. The destinations were fantastic. All-in-all we enjoyed our first cruise, even despite the small pools, lack of waterslides/parks, buffet madness, no crab available at the Pinnacle Grill, a few line-cutters, the out-of-tune lounge singers (I have relative pitch and my dissonance radar was on high alert), and everyone contracting some sort of illness either during or after the sailing.

Still with me? If so, thanks for reading. Enjoy a 🍭. Now to why I'm posting on an MSC forum:

I'm hooked on cruising. DW loves that she only has to unpack/pack once. The kids are less hooked, but they'll flip as soon as they see a ship with giant flumes on top. As a person with OCD is wont to do, I've been researching our next cruise since we got home. It feels like I've looked at every ship in every line's fleet. The only line that checks all of our boxes is MSC. Said boxes include:

• One suite big enough for all of us (multiple bedrooms and baths, plus a balcony).
  • Large ship with waterslides and a basketball court (very important for my tall, skinny DSes).
  • An included spa experience.
  • Private dining and lounging to escape to when steerage gets overwhelming.

As far as I can tell, a Two-Bedroom Grand Suite Aurea on MSC Seaside/Seashore/Seascape is our ticket. The layout and location are ideal. I've already status-matched with MSC to Classic. I found a 4day Bahamas itinerary out of Miami that breaks down to ~$150pp per day.

My questions: 

• Do the Aurea MDR and sun deck ever get crowded? - Depends on ship/sailing, but Aurea numbers aren't that big.
  • I know the Aurea MDR has no windows, but do the food, service and ambiance make that a non-issue? - The Aurea restaurant is only used for Dinner so not a big deal, JIMHO.
  • We want beaches. Do Nassau and Ocean Cay have plenty of options? Will crowds be a factor in early November? - Ocean Cay seems one of the most beautiful private islands from the photos and one with more beaches to begin with. Nassau I don't know. If you have ever been there consider making that as a day at sea and enjoy the ship's facilities.
  • Who has an opinion on the Aurea experience? - It used to be great... Not anymore. Back in the day they used to couple Aurea cabins with a drinks package, a SPA massage for 2 and a good share of those "little nothings" that usually makes us somewhat happy for the day. Nowadays double or triple the usual price and it is just a premium located cabin with some minor up services that go. JIMHO, their quotes are now such a robbery. To each their own. There are a few "fancy" suites that may still be out of YC and that would to be great though. If the difference is not exorbitant for YC and there are YC available cabins that fill your needs, take a look at those. You'll receive far but far more than actually Aurea experience these days.

PS: Sorry YC fans, we'd love to join you, but it just doesn't work for us budget and accommodation-wise. Maybe on a later cruise when it's just me and DW, assuming MSC fits our bill. - YC is not that expensive in comparison with so many other products. Surely prices have gone up, but it is still the most competitive Premium service on the market. By the price of an average balcony cabin on any of the other Mainstream/Premium line you have access to an YC cabin these days... All inclusive and distinct service.

If you've read this far, you're a trooper. Here's another 🍭. - Be welcome! We're here to help!... Have a nice day!...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WhiskeyMikeDelta said:
  • We want beaches. Do Nassau and Ocean Cay have plenty of options? Will crowds be a factor in early November?

Ocean Cay is amazing. I fantasize about it all the time. I sailded on MSC specifically to go to Ocean Cay and it was the right choice. 

People are less enthusiatiac about Nassau, lot of super pricey resorts, you could go to Atlantis, but that would probably require you to spend at least $1000. I always recommend an excursion to Clifton Heritage National Park. There's some beach, some snorkel, some history. They pick you up, and drop you off, and take you far from the madding crown near the port. You'll have to book with them directly.

• Thanks 1