Any success in getting an upgrade?

Has anyone been able to ask for and actually get an upgrade on a cruise recently?  I am booked on an upcoming cruise scheduled in September and still see some balconies available.  I have an ocean view.  I am happy with what I have but a balcony would be nice if the price were right.

The upsells are totally random. There are some platinum cruisers who have never gotten an upsell while someone on their first cruise may get an upsell. Whenever I get a cove balcony I almost always get an upsell trying to get me to move to a higher deck. I of course decline. Any upsells will come to your email and/or be listed in your cruise manager. If there's a cabin you want, I'd highly recommend changing to it yourself and not waiting on an upsell that may never come.

Call and ask.

I received an upgrade, (upsell), offer that I took advantage of.

My brother, in a separate room, called and asked for the same and they made him the same offer.

We sail on Carnival Magic on August 18 and got the call on Monday, 13 days before departure.  We upgraded to an ocean suite from a balcony for $450 and are super excited about it. We are gold cruisers so not sure why we got lucky. They must have wanted our cabin, I guess. 

7 minutes ago, mere08 said:

We sail on Carnival Magic on August 18 and got the call on Monday, 13 days before departure.  We upgraded to an ocean suite from a balcony for $450 and are super excited about it. We are gold cruisers so not sure why we got lucky. They must have wanted our cabin, I guess. 

Upsell offers are always based on your booked cabin location, their desire to resell your cabin and their need to fill slow moving categories. 

Go in as a new booking and see what those balconies are going for compared to what you paid for your OV. That's probably what the upsell offer will be

I get upsell offers all the time but they're never anything we'd consider and they often don't make any sense. We usually book a balcony on Lido, but occasionally book a Lido inside if the price is too good to pass up. A recent offer I got was to "upgrade" from our Lido balcony (deck 16) to a cove balcony on deck 5 and they wanted me to pay $312 to do so. When I booked, I paid about $100 more for the Lido balcony than the cove balconies were selling for at the time. So Carnival thought I'd suddenly want to pay hundreds more for what I didn't want in the first place? The funniest part is the below info they used to try and convince me to move down 11 decks. 🤣

image.png.77dcef16e11af1df326ab90b612a38d5.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DanJ said:

Go in as a new booking and see what those balconies are going for compared to what you paid for your OV. That's probably what the upsell offer will be

That's what I did and found several balcony rooms available.  I thought what do I have to lose except half of my lunch hour on the phone, so I called Carnival and went from an interior to a Spa Balcony room for just $91 more for our upcoming cruise.  If you don't get a call for an upgrade or upsell, check out what is available on your ship and call Carnival.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If one is using a TA, can you call carnival directly....or does the TA need to make the call?

TA has to do it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lucky Smash said:

I have a travel agent. If on Carnival.com I see an upgrade offer, does it create an issue if I accept?

Thank you 

I'm not sure you would get an offer on the website if your booking is through a TA.

1 hour ago, DanJ said:

I'm not sure you would get an offer on the website if your booking is through a TA.

UPGRADE YOUR Balcony ROOM

• Tip: Higher decks are always better
  • Get faster, easier access to all the onboard fun
  • Enjoy the convenience of staying closer to the pool, dining spots, Lido Deck, Promenade and more favorites
Selected
$

I booked using an online company. Maybe that is not a travel agent. At any rate, I have a balcony room midship on deck 6. Offered deck 9 midship balcony for $94. But directly under the Lido. 

What do you think of the offer? And I will make my final payment in September to the online "agent". Will it cause a problem with the booking or online agent if I accept an upgrade? I assume I pay for the upgrade when accepted. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Smash said:

UPGRADE YOUR Balcony ROOM

• Tip: Higher decks are always better
  • Get faster, easier access to all the onboard fun
  • Enjoy the convenience of staying closer to the pool, dining spots, Lido Deck, Promenade and more favorites
Selected
$

I booked using an online company. Maybe that is not a travel agent. At any rate, I have a balcony room midship on deck 6. Offered deck 9 midship balcony for $94. But directly under the Lido. 

What do you think of the offer? And I will make my final payment in September to the online "agent". Will it cause a problem with the booking or online agent if I accept an upgrade? I assume I pay for the upgrade when accepted. 

I don't think it affects your booking at all, I'm just surprised you got one direct as I assumed they would go through your TA. At any rate, I'm neither here nor there on their offer. Is that total or per person? If it's total, I might take a flyer on it, but it's the same cabin only 3 decks higher, not really that big a deal.

I think I would take it depending on exactly where under Lido the room is. Not if it's somewhere they'll be dragging chairs around all the time but on Legend we had a balcony under Lido and it was a great location. We were near the stairs so one flight up put us at the entrance to the buffet, super convenient.

3 hours ago, DanJ said:

I don't think it affects your booking at all, I'm just surprised you got one direct as I assumed they would go through your TA. At any rate, I'm neither here nor there on their offer. Is that total or per person? If it's total, I might take a flyer on it, but it's the same cabin only 3 decks higher, not really that big a deal.

Online third party booking is different than a TA

3 hours ago, Knights on the Beach said:

I think I would take it depending on exactly where under Lido the room is. Not if it's somewhere they'll be dragging chairs around all the time but on Legend we had a balcony under Lido and it was a great location. We were near the stairs so one flight up put us at the entrance to the buffet, super convenient.

But if it's an upgrade offer...I don't think you get to pick.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I had one bad experience with a "mystery cabin" and , never again.

19 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

But if it's an upgrade offer...I don't think you get to pick.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I had one bad experience with a "mystery cabin" and , never again.

During the past few years, every "upgrade" offer we've had is for a specific cabin, not a category guarantee.

• Like 4

We sail late October. I was logged in earlier today. I had an offer to upgrade to a more aft balcony cabin on 8 for $120. No thanks, we are happy with our cove balcony. Just check under your offers. Best of luck.