Soot issues on aft balconies?

Wink87

We are in a corner suite next month on Emerald deck on Discovery. DH is concerned about soot issues. Anyone have aft balcony negative experience regarding soot? Tyia

4 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

We are in a corner suite next month on Emerald deck on Discovery. DH is concerned about soot issues. Anyone have aft balcony negative experience regarding soot? Tyia

Soot has never been an issue on that class of ship. The soot issues started with the Royal class of ships. You will  have zero soot. Enjoy your suite and your cruise.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Soot has never been an issue on that class of ship. The soot issues started with the Royal class of ships. You will  have zero soot. Enjoy your suite and your cruise.

Excuse me?  Discovery is a Royal class ship.  Perhaps you were misled by the mention of Emerald deck, thinking Emerald Princess…. EM

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Excuse me?  Discovery is a Royal class ship.  Perhaps you were misled by the mention of Emerald deck, thinking Emerald Princess…. EM

D'Oh! Sorry, my bad. It's that "reading thing". I should know better and pay attention. Hopefully someone who doesn't have their head on sideways today will come through with a valuable answer.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Wink87 said:

We've had many aft corner suites; soot was never an issue

We've had corner aft suites on the Regal, Royal and Discovery.  Experienced soot on Riviera and Aloha deck suites on those ships, but not on Dolphin deck.   The Riviera deck is so convenient to the concierge lounge for a quick cup of coffee or light snack.  The Dolphin deck is great for the balcony being in part shade.  

We did a 7 day Cali Coastal in March 2023, had aft balcony Riviera 735. We had soot issue on the last night, but we did have very weird weather..some good days others with very heavy fog and mist which would prevent th exhaust from moving away from the ship.

I always stay in a corner aft suite - have cruised on almost all of the royal class ships.  I try to stay on the Riviera deck, and soot can sometimes be an issue.  I just got off Majestic, and it was worse than other trips.  But, as others have said, it really depends on the winds and direction of travel.

I’ve stayed on Dolphin deck and there was no soot at all.  

I suspect that Emerald deck will be fine.

20 hours ago, Wink87 said:

I've learned on ANY ship ANY line when we have an aft balcony, to lay beach towels over the seat b4 sitting--JUST in case.