Some P&O & Fjords questions

amurray88

Hi all,

I have a few questions RE the P&O Norwegian Fjords cruises, would you mind helping please?

In no particular order:

1. We're not big excursion fans, we like to plan what's in port and go see it ourselves. With the fjords could we still do this?

2. P&O give shuttles included for Select fares. Are there any shuttles required for the fjords?

3. We'd be travelling with a (just turned) 2 year old in June. Any thoughts on how that would be? He's well travelled...he's just 14 months just now but has been on a couple of cruises including the Azura in Jan.

I think that's about it. Only other thought is would a balcony be necessary? We're normally happy with an inside but realise scenery is a big one for this cruise.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Hi all,

I have a few questions RE the P&O Norwegian Fjords cruises, would you mind helping please?

In no particular order:

1. We're not big excursion fans, we like to plan what's in port and go see it ourselves. With the fjords could we still do this?

2. P&O give shuttles included for Select fares. Are there any shuttles required for the fjords?

3. We'd be travelling with a (just turned) 2 year old in June. Any thoughts on how that would be? He's well travelled...he's just 14 months just now but has been on a couple of cruises including the Azura in Jan.

I think that's about it. Only other thought is would a balcony be necessary? We're normally happy with an inside but realise scenery is a big one for this cruise.

Thanks!

1) It is your cruise so it is your choice whether you do your own thing or whether you take excursions.  We were in the Fjords earlier this year and did no excursions.

2) Depending on the itinerary some ports may need shuttles. In some ports they are free, supplied by the local  authorities but in others you may have to pay for the shuttles.

3) There were quite a few children of all ages from babies to teenagers on our cruise to the fjords that coincided with the school Easter break.

4) We always have a balcony regardless of where we are cruising so that we can always find a quiet place to sit and watch the world go by, remember in the fjords you see the scenery one side of the ship going in and the other side coming out so it really doesn't matter which side of the ship you are on.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

You need to see the fjords from some place. If you’re happy to be on deck then that’s ok but you may like to

be on your own balcony. That’s your choice. 
I can’t remember any shuttles on our Iona cruise a couple of years ago. Stavanger is near to town, olden is quite rural and so are the other ports. Shuttles are not necessary. 
It will be mainly countryside walking with a little one but he would probably love splashers in the kids club on board, our granddaughter did at the same age. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fraann said:

You need to see the fjords from some place. If you’re happy to be on deck then that’s ok but you may like to

be on your own balcony. That’s your choice. 
I can’t remember any shuttles on our Iona cruise a couple of years ago. Stavanger is near to town, olden is quite rural and so are the other ports. Shuttles are not necessary. 
It will be mainly countryside walking with a little one but he would probably love splashers in the kids club on board, our granddaughter did at the same age. 

Thank you!

30 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

1) It is your cruise so it is your choice whether you do your own thing or whether you take excursions.  We were in the Fjords earlier this year and did no excursions.

2) Depending on the itinerary some ports may need shuttles. In some ports they are free, supplied by the local  authorities but in others you may have to pay for the shuttles.

3) There were quite a few children of all ages from babies to teenagers on our cruise to the fjords that coincided with the school Easter break.

4) We always have a balcony regardless of where we are cruising so that we can always find a quiet place to sit and watch the world go by, remember in the fjords you see the scenery one side of the ship going in and the other side coming out so it really doesn't matter which side of the ship you are on.

For us just now quantity > quality and we'd rather pack in 4 reasonably cheap holidays than go for a balcony and only afford 2. I look forward to the day when quality > quantity for us ...it's certainly getting close🤣

• Like 1

1.  Depends on which ports.  The full day from Flaam to Voss by coach and back on the railways is one of the best trips we have ever done.  Just ensure any cruise actually visits the fjord ports. Flaam, Olden and Gerainger are the main 3.  Be wary of 'cruise past' descriptions.

2.  Only shuttle we have had in Norway is Bergen as larger ships may dock in the industrial port with no public access.

3.  Small children are easy on cruises.  Our daughter was 3 or 4 when she stood on her first glacier at Lovatnet Lake.  Not now possible as the glacier has retreated up the mountain.

4. A balcony is well worth having on fjord cruises if you are prepared to be up very early to take advantage.

23 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

For us just now quantity > quality and we'd rather pack in 4 reasonably cheap holidays than go for a balcony and only afford 2. I look forward to the day when quality > quantity for us ...it's certainly getting close🤣

The Fjord element of these cruises is now diminishing... 

If its a Stavangar/ Haugesund/Kristiansand/Olden type cruise, only one of these takes in real Fjords. 

The others are still quite pretty, but not as stunning as Flam etc. 

It does really come down to budget, we have only sailed the Fjords with balconies, but I would rather go in an inside than not at all.

Andy 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

4. A balcony is well worth having on fjord cruises if you are prepared to be up very early to take advantage.

This is a very valid point.   Although I understand that having a balcony gives you views one side on the way in and the other on the way out, arrival time in port is critical. 

With some of the ports deep down in the Fjord you can be travelling for 3/4/5 hours down a fjord to get to your destination.  Depending on arrival time this could mean being up very very early to see much of the sail in. We have spent 3 or 4 hours in the Crow's Nest letting the awesome scenery slide by on a sail-away. 

And whilst a balcony cabin does gives you views, they are somewhat resricted imo.  You see the side of the mountains as you sail by - perhaps the higher the cabin the better but to really feel the majesty of the Fjords I think being up front or on deck gives you a better sense of the proportion and the all-enveloping nature of the scenery deep in the Fjords where the mountains are higher and the width of the Fjords narrower.  In that situation the view from a balcony is limiting.

Of course seeing something could be argued to be better than having no view but even with a balcony cabin i want to get the panorama and either be outside or somewhere like the Crow's Nest to appreciate the scale and wonder of the Fjords. 

May not be too practical for you with a toddler though - but whatever i hope you enjoy your trip but make sure you have some opportunity to soak in all the surrounding scenery especially the beginning of a sailaway.  Generally as you get nearer to the sea, the width of the Fjords gets much wider and mountain height lower so not quite as impressive then.  

On my last cruise the Norwegian ports were Alesund then Skjolden. The sail in to Skjolden began at midnight (it was dark) and we arrived by about 7am. I think Iona does not visit Bergen any more because it cannot fit under a bridge on the approach.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, davecttr said:

On my last cruise the Norwegian ports were Alesund then Skjolden. The sail in to Skjolden began at midnight (it was dark) and we arrived by about 7am. I think Iona does not visit Bergen any more because it cannot fit under a bridge on the approach.

I always wonder why P&O use Iona for the Norwegian trips. There are a few ports it can no longer go to so why not swap the cruises to Britannia? The one port I do dislike is Haugesund. There should be a shuttle provided by P&O as it is a fair distance into the town centre (although it is only a very long shopping street) and very difficult for the aged cruisers. There is very little there. IMO. Flam and Bergen are my favourites.

Edited by Funboy

6 minutes ago, Funboy said:

I always wonder why P&O use Iona for the Norwegian trips. There are a few ports it can no longer go to so why not swap the cruises to Britannia? The one port I do dislike is Haugesund. There should be a shuttle provided by P&O as it is a fair distance into the town centre (although it is only a very long shopping street) and very difficult for the aged cruisers. There is very little there. IMO. Flam and Bergen are my favourites.

It's the Brittania we're looking at....would that prove to be better ports? Apologies - complete novice with the Fjords.

For info:

Iona itinerary

Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjord, Nordfjord, HellesyltGeiranger Fjord, 
Sunnylvsfjorden, Storfjorden, Haugesund

Brittania itinerary

Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjord, Nordfjord, Ålesund, 
Haugesund

I realise these are not all stops - having spent years doing the Med and the Caribbean I now feel lost 😅

20 minutes ago, Funboy said:

Haugeshund often gets bad press but please look beyond the shopping street (although that's ok too) and you may be pleasantly surprised. We've visited Haugeshund lots of times now, done different things each time and always had a great day. 

There is a shuttle bus to the town centre for those who find the walk difficult, but it is chargeable.

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/haugesund-cruise-port-diy-guide

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Hi all,

In no particular order:

Thanks!

A balcony preferably aft balcony is a must.

We went on Britannia June 2023 and Flam,Olden, we could just walk into the centre.

Bergen was on a Sunday so most things were closed but there was no shuttles so Select fare didn't help us.

There was a local shuttle that we paid for in Haugusand.

With a child any excursions might be difficult.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

1.  Depends on which ports.  The full day from Flaam to Voss by coach and back on the railways is one of the best trips we have ever done.  Just ensure any cruise actually visits the fjord ports. Flaam, Olden and Gerainger are the main 3.  Be wary of 'cruise past' descriptions.

2.  Only shuttle we have had in Norway is Bergen as larger ships may dock in the industrial port with no public access.

3.  Small children are easy on cruises.  Our daughter was 3 or 4 when she stood on her first glacier at Lovatnet Lake.  Not now possible as the glacier has retreated up the mountain.

My daughter got married on Lovatnet Lake on our visit to Olden the week before last.  Beautiful spot.

20240806_115746~2.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, amurray88 said:

It's the Brittania we're looking at....would that prove to be better ports? Apologies - complete novice with the Fjords.

For info:

Iona itinerary

Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjord, Nordfjord, HellesyltGeiranger Fjord, 
Sunnylvsfjorden, Storfjorden, Haugesund

Brittania itinerary

Stavanger, Olden, Innvikfjord, Nordfjord, Ålesund, 
Haugesund

I realise these are not all stops - having spent years doing the Med and the Caribbean I now feel lost 😅

Iona doesn't do Geirangerfjord anymore, it just passes the entrance!!   We went on a boat trip from Hellesylt up to just outside Geiranger for £43 each.  Half the price that P&O were charging!!

Bergen is an interesting place to visit. However you won’t find it listed on any Iona cruise. This is because the ship is too tall to get under the bridge at the entrance to Bergen. 
I don’t understand why P&O have this ship sailing this route. Britannia and smaller are OK.

Brian 

• Like 1