Private driver Newark

lido1

Dial is the most reliable and consistent service that I have found.  I have heard that there are some others that are VERY high end, but are almost always a "referral only" kind of operation.  So I use Dial for all of my airport runs.

I will never again use the service that sounds like a candy.  Too many crappy cars and drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another vote for dial 7.  Reliable and lots of vehicle choices

there are private companies but at a much higher cost

it depends on what’s important to you.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How timely!  Thank you for the recommendation.

I just took your advice and booked them for disembarkation at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Would any of you know how we find them at the terminal? It will be a Sunday morning and the other ship at the terminal will be a 4,000 passenger ship.

18 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

How timely!  Thank you for the recommendation.

I just took your advice and booked them for disembarkation at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

Would any of you know how we find them at the terminal? It will be a Sunday morning and the other ship at the terminal will be a 4,000 passenger ship.

You need to use the contra-flow strategy.

Ships coming in funnel their passengers to the "arrival" area, which is on the lower level of the terminal.  This is the level where all of the ship transfer buses are parked, and where folks are jockeying for their rides.  And walking through everyone to get to the taxi ranks across the street.

What you need to do is take your bags - either on your own or with a porter and then take the elevator to the UPPER level - which is the one used for folks boarding the ship.  But at the hour you are leaving, nobody is boarding.  So the upper level is pretty much deserted.  Arrange for your ride to pick you up on the upper level and you won't have an issue.

Also, D7 supplies you with the type of vehicle and the license plate number, so you can easily spot the car coming for you.  And you can message to your driver - I give a description such as "blue jacket and red cap" to help them see you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Blacklane has high end service at all airports in all cities. Also cruise terminals. We find them spotless, polite, on time. Dial 7 can be spotty all around. From Newark airport you might do just as well off to take a cab. Unless you are traveling at rush hour it is no more than a 30 min ride. Of course you won’t get a cold bottle of water, but….

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Remember that Blacklane is nothing more than a booking front-end for other companies.

And they also do not serve all airports in all cities as the earlier poster suggested.

• Like 1

Just now, Texas Tillie said:

And they also do not serve all airports in all cities as the earlier poster suggested.

Only the ones where they have been contracted by local companies to provide booking management services.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Only the ones where they have been contracted by local companies to provide booking management services.

we have found Blacklane to be very professional and expensive.

Expensive they are. But their cars are always immaculate and their drivers uniformed and extremely helpful. I didn’t realize they didn’t operate everywhere but they have operated everywhere I have needed them. 

I have received a quote from dial7 for a transfer for one person and one piece of luggage from the port of Bayonne to Newark Airport. They say it will cost US 89.50 plus gratuities. Will you consider this a fair price? 

Ivi

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRIPACIAN said:

we have found Blacklane to be very professional and expensive.

My issue with them is they seem to outsource everything but if you've had success that is great.

Keith

26 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I have received a quote from dial7 for a transfer for one person and one piece of luggage from the port of Bayonne to Newark Airport. They say it will cost US 89.50 plus gratuities. Will you consider this a fair price? 

Ivi

Ivi.I would for sure.

Keith

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

My issue with them is they seem to outsource everything but if you've had success that is great.

They do outsource.  They are only a booking engine - much like Viator is for tours.  Blacklane operates not a single vehicle themselves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

Ivi,although it does seem high it is for a private vehicle. While a taxi would be far less as a solo traveler I can understand why you might not want to take a taxi by yourself. I would recommend Uber but I don't believe you do Uber.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

They do outsource.  They are only a booking engine - much like Viator is for tours.  Blacklane operates not a single vehicle themselves.

Thank you. A friend of mine booked them. When they didn't show he couldn't reach them by phone which is why I won't use them.  Dial 7 which you recommended is a perfect recommendation IMHO. We used them last year and they worked like a charm.

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Ivi,although it does seem high it is for a private vehicle. While a taxi would be far less as a solo traveler I can understand why you might not want to take a taxi by yourself. I would recommend Uber but I don't believe you do Uber.

Keith

Yes Keith I do not use Uber. I use Welcome Pickups in Europe and it usually works fine although it has been receiving mixed reviews lately. They were reliable in Istanbul and Barcelona. With Welcome Pickups you get the information about your driver including his photo, handy number and photo of his car in advance. Does Dial7 works the same way? What is customary to tip in USA for such transfers? I am not sure if Welcome Pickups operates in New York. I will check.

Thanks also Whipsnade for your recommendation for a taxi. Are taxis easily available at the port of Bayonne?

Ivi