I really like Crystal but…

LNugent

I am a big fan of Crystal however I think they still have some things to sort out. I have been on 2 Crystal cruises in the last 9 months. I think they need to work on entertainment around the ship. I really miss the band that played on the pool deck at lunch. DJ just standing g there playing covers is boring. Before BK they also had some duos that played  more current music in Cove and Palm Court. Again, DJ in Cove playing covers not working. The singer/piano players in Avenue haven’t been very good. Maybe time to change that up a bit. How about a band in Palm Court at night that doesn’t always cater to ballroom dancers. Anyone else agree or have thoughts in this regard?  Seabourn seems to be doing some fun things at night that are still on par with a luxury line suitable to older guest. Maybe take a look at what they are doing. 

On board currently.
JMO…our evening shows have been excellent ..the Avenue good enough…but have to agree w a downward shift for ‘ around the ship’. Perhaps the entertainment budget has been trimmed. Was in Cove this evening. Pianist stopped at 6:30 and violinist began 6:45. Odd timing for prime time Cove. The violinist seems to be playing a lot..and far more than any pianist..aT least in our experience . One night there was a DJ w ipad in Cove, also an afternoon at the pool…just not interesting.

will report as this cruise moves forward

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Different perspective. Same cruise. Can fire cannonballs down the corridors after the main stage show concludes and not hit anyone. Not saying the nursing homes in CA and FL have been emptied for this cruise, but it’s a rather elderly, early to bed crowd that IMHO does not appreciate nor have interest in live music. If there were a dozen guests on deck during this afternoon’s sail away party from Puerto Vallarta, there were more waiters than passengers.

If anyone wants a good nap, head to Pulse disco. There is no one there except the lone Dj, the bartender and a lonely server.

just saying….

Rob

Edited by ryndam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Adjustments have been made given that the ships now carry less guests. This includes the size of the band that played at the pool and for dancing.  

As to the pianists at the Cove and the Avenue Saloon, people always have different views on which ones they like or not like so much.  A reminder that some of the favorites might have had other commitments when Crystal restarted so getting some back will take time.  On our sailing we had Mark Farris who clearly is a favorite.

I am reminded that some of the entertainment is adjusted based on specific sailings, time of year, etc.  

Back to former band at the pool. Personally, I liked it. I am not someone who sits at the pool as I am not a sitter other than eating. However, when I played Paddle Tennis it was motivating to hear music. With that said, some people, including some on this board, used to complain about the band playing at the pool So, you are not going to make all the people happy all of the time. However, I don't see a larger band on sailings given what I mentioned earlier Not to say never as things continually change which I think is always good.

As part of the survey towards the end they ask if people would like to provide additional suggestions for certain categories so I would be sure to note any suggestions that one might have under entertainment or for that matter each of the categories.

Keith

• Like 1

As to the band that used to play around the pool, often in Starlite on Symphony, etc., the number of members had been reduced by old Crystal; was it cost, crew quarters availability, or what, I don't know. Now they seem to be down to a duet. I'd suggest everyone check out the boards for the other luxury lines as the same thing has happened there and some are unhappy, others haven't noticed. All I know, and not just as it relates to Crystal, is you can't please all the people all the time.

Patty

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Adjustments have been made given that the ships now carry less guests. This includes the size of the band that played at the pool and for dancing.  

As to the pianists at the Cove and the Avenue Saloon, people always have different views on which ones they like or not like so much.  A reminder that some of the favorites might have had other commitments when Crystal restarted so getting some back will take time.  On our sailing we had Mark Farris who clearly is a favorite.

I am reminded that some of the entertainment is adjusted based on specific sailings, time of year, etc.  

Back to former band at the pool. Personally, I liked it. I am not someone who sits at the pool as I am not a sitter other than eating. However, when I played Paddle Tennis it was motivating to hear music. With that said, some people, including some on this board, used to complain about the band playing at the pool So, you are not going to make all the people happy all of the time. However, I don't see a larger band on sailings given what I mentioned earlier Not to say never as things continually change which I think is always good.

As part of the survey towards the end they ask if people would like to provide additional suggestions for certain categories so I would be sure to note any suggestions that one might have under entertainment or for that matter each of the categories.

Keith

I enjoy peace and quiet at the pool. I love to read. I don’t miss a band at all. There was plenty of music on the Serenity at night.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I enjoy peace and quiet at the pool. I love to read. I don’t miss a band at all. There was plenty of music on the Serenity at night.

Precisely my point.  Some people like it. Others don't.

Keith

2 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Yes, Keith. Mark Farris is not  on this cruise. My, that would have been a surprise and a treat!

I hope he returns.  We will board Serenity Nov 9th for 18 day trip.  

1 hour ago, Midtowngal said:

I hope he returns.  We will board Serenity Nov 9th for 18 day trip.  

Maria and I look forward to seeing you and Michael on board in November.  We are starting in Quebec and staying on for the round trip with you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Maria and I look forward to seeing you and Michael on board in November.  We are starting in Quebec and staying on for the round trip with you.

Looking forward!😊

8 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Now they seem to be down to a duet. I'd suggest everyone check out the boards for the other luxury lines as the same thing has happened there and some are unhappy

One of the problems is that there are more and more cruise ships launching and competing for a limited pool of entertainers. Just think how many musicians were hired to fill all the venues on the Icon of the Sea for example. And more monster ships are coming.

6 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

We had him but I think he was leaving when our cruise ended.

Keith

Mark wasn’t on board our July 2-9 sailing. So his gig was definitely short this time. @Texas Tillie, was he onboard your mid-July B2B?

• Like 1

Please lose the Russian electric violin players in Cove. Screeching. Very unpleasant. And DJ during dinner totally inappropriate. 
I don’t need music at pool but the half hour at noon was pleasant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Please lose the Russian electric violin players in Cove. Screeching. Very unpleasant. And DJ during dinner totally inappropriate. 
I don’t need music at pool but the half hour at noon was pleasant. 

Some people like the violinists.

And I bet some like the DJ, too.

• Like 2

Mark was onboard for a total of four seven day cruises.

We thought the duo on board were great but they NEVER played in the cove during our seven day cruise. The excellent ship band did, however, on occasion but the DJ also did sets, not for us as we prefer live music. An enhancement would be to mix up the timings of the entertainers a bit more, variety being the spice of life. All too often the schedules were pretty similar. Finally, we have lost one duo, as there used to be a duo as well as the quartet ( now duo ) for the dancers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kool kruiser said:

Mark was onboard for a total of four seven day cruises.

We thought the duo on board were great but they NEVER played in the cove during our seven day cruise. The excellent ship band did, however, on occasion but the DJ also did sets, not for us as we prefer live music. An enhancement would be to mix up the timings of the entertainers a bit more, variety being the spice of life. All too often the schedules were pretty similar. Finally, we have lost one duo, as there used to be a duo as well as the quartet ( now duo ) for the dancers.

When I was on in July for two 7 day Alaska cruises there seems to have been various entertainers at various locations at various times. I was often in the Cove from around 6 to 7 and remember having different entertainers from day to day. Seems like I remember the same from last January, but I wouldn't put much faith in my memory from that long ago!!

Patty

Very disappointing to hear that a DJ has replaced the nice piano music in the Cove! We loved the live music at the pool during lunch. And a duo for dancing? I thought D'Ovidio bought Crystal because he loved it, not so he could cut one of the major draws for people who look for live music. It was just wonderful having cocktails to nice piano in the Cove, never cared for the violinist as it was just too loud, hard to carry on a conversation!

• Like 1