NCL Viva: The Good, The Bad, the DISSAPOINTING: Italy, Turkey, Croatia, and Greece (with hints, tips, and help)

Travel R

2 hours ago, Travel R said:

I am also wondering if it is as much of an issue on the Viva's Caribbean itinerary, which is not as port-extensive (or does not remain in port for such long time periods).

I was on Viva in Caribbean and I thought it was an issue.  On the port days, people return from the beach or wherever during late afternoon and the only place to get food was the grille (or down inside at Local).  We had Vibe passes so we could see the line for the grille snake out it's back door and start working its way up the stairs to the race track.  Happened each port day.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I was on Viva in Caribbean and I thought it was an issue.  On the port days, people return from the beach or wherever during late afternoon and the only place to get food was the grille (or down inside at Local).  We had Vibe passes so we could see the line for the grille snake out it's back door and start working its way up the stairs to the race track.  Happened each port day.  

Thanks for the Carib info.

Hopefully NCL is reading this and other notifications (and complaints) and will make some modifications in the future.

12 hours ago, Travel R said:

2c. Area Sacra di Largo Argentina and the Jewish Ghetto

Since Rome is in effect, an open air museum, there were things to point out everywhere we walked, but due to the heat, I probably only mentioned half of them (or left out all the details).  One place we did stop was at Sacra di Largo Argentina to point out the ruins of some ancient temples as well as the place where Caesar was assassinated. With whatever strength I had, I did discuss the assassination and its myths which were perpetuated by William Shakespeare. [The area is also a cat sanctuary, but due to the heat none were to be found scurrying about.]

Suggestion: You may want to do some research on the Largo Argentina area to at least identify the ruins and what they were used for. In addition, some research on the Assassination of Caesar would also be helpful.  This was the end of the Republic, the start of a Civil War, and the catalyst that brought about the Roman Empire.

We then made it to the Jewish Ghetto and to Nona Betta, where we had lunch reservations.  The place was mostly empty, so we probably did not need reservations.  As an appetizer we tried a mixed platter, which included Carciofi alla guida (Jewish Artichokes), which the restaurant is known for.  To tell you the truth, they were very good. Fried and fattening, but very good. The other appetizers on the plate were also fairly good.  I had a fish dish (cod) for my main entrée, and it was not great, but I was hungry and finished it off, but was not happy with my meal. Neither were my companions.  If I eat in this area again, I will try another place next time.

Before going to our next stop, the Jewish Museum of Rome, we took a quick detour down the road to the fourth oldest bridge in the world (Ponte Fabrico), then walked back to the museum where we went through security (everything went through a scanner and we walked through metal detectors). There was also armed police outside the entryway.

The museum is not very large, but it was interesting.  All of the exhibits included explanatory plaques in both Italian and English. You can easily go through the entire museum in 30 to 45 minutes, although there is a tour that can take you to the old Synagogue (we did not go), which I believe is an extra charge.  Note that the museum is air conditioned and there is a restroom in the back (and vending machines for soda and water).  There are also a few chairs and benches scattered around, and my tired body made use of them.

Next time, take the synagogue tour.  Totally worth the time, effort, and money.  The synagogue is exquisite, and the brief tour is quite informative.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2024 at 3:56 PM, Travel R said:

4. Dinner After a Looooooong Day

We found a taxi stand after a little while nearby (it is across from the McDonalds, near Piazza Popolo) and took the cab to a pasta place for dinner.   We were hot, tired, and hungry (but not too hungry for McDonalds).

We all had some type of pasta.  I do not remember the name of restaurant (sorry). There was a pasta with Bolognese sauce on the menu.  I told the waiter that I was allergic to cheese and he said that the dish had cheese in it. [I thought to myself, it is a meat dish, why does it have cheese.] I then asked if it could be made without cheese, he said no.  I asked about removing cheese from another dish, and he said no. I asked what did not have cheese, and he pointed to pasta w/ seafood dishes.  [Note: It is considered improper to add cheese to seafood dishes in Italy, so I know that they are generally safe for me.] So, guess what I had? 

I am really enjoying reading this review. I also don't eat cheese. Not allergic, just never had a tolerance for it from birth. I also don't eat shellfish, crustaceans, etc. I refuse to eat veal. All of this always makes dining in Italy interesting.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 9:03 PM, ysolde said:

Next time, take the synagogue tour.  Totally worth the time, effort, and money.  The synagogue is exquisite, and the brief tour is quite informative.

Thanks.  A visit to the Synagogue is definitely a next-time thing, and hopefully will have the time for it if/WHEN we return.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LizikinsLivesToCruise said:

I am really enjoying reading this review. I also don't eat cheese. Not allergic, just never had a tolerance for it from birth. I also don't eat shellfish, crustaceans, etc. I refuse to eat veal. All of this always makes dining in Italy interesting.

On this vacation, I did eat more than my share of seafood, especially in Italy, where the culinary tradition is to avoid adding cheese to seafood dishes.

• Like 1

“A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to The Forum”

1. The Roman Forum

Zero Mostel was only one among an amazing cast in the 1966 comedy.  Although our vacation was not a laugh track, it was very nice. Our morning was also no laughs, and began very smoothly.  In preparation to check out that morning we finished packing our bags (leaving out the items we needed for the day in our light backpack). We dropped off the luggage at the concierge to hold until our return and checked out before heading to breakfast.  Speaking of comedies, our waiter was something out of a comedy movie – he had the look (and hair style), accent (that sounded more French than Italian), and attitude of a comical character.  He started us off with coffee and tea and brought out a platter of pastries, fruit, and cheese.  For breakfast I ordered a cold non-sugared cereal and an omelet.

In order to assure we received tickets for when the Forum opened, we purchased them through a third party, which also included a movie on the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill.  We too a can to the ticket-pickup area, watched the movie (which was very basic in the information it provided), then walked to the nearby entrance of the Forum.

I played Tour Guide again and took them around the entire Roman Forum explaining how this was the center of the Roman Republic and Empire and pointing out what each of the broken pieces of rubble had been at one time. I even brought along one of those books that provided pictures of how each structure looked during their prime.  If I do say so myself, I was good and did not have to rely on my notes for most of the tour and pointed out all of the major structures (and even gave a few facts on each).  Although we walked up part of Palatine Hill, it was hot and we were tired, so we did not walk up the long path.  My own personal ongoing aches and pains were also beginning to take effect on my body and I was done by that point.

[I enjoy being a Tour Guide.  Even at home we just had an event in Hoboken, so one of the activities was a Walking Tour of Hoboken, which I led. Hoboken is the birthplace of Frank Sinatra and Baseball (and also the first Brewery in the US).]

Tips for visiting the Roman Forum

·       There is a lot to see at the Forum. If you only see a bunch of ruins, you are doing yourself a disservice by not doing some research beforehand or at least having a good map with you that not only identifies the ruins, but also explains what they were used for.  I was able to point out all of the former structures for my DW and friends, but only gave them an Nth of the information I could have about this site.

·       If you purchase tickets to the Colosseum, you receive tickets to enter the Forum and Palatine Hill.  I cannot remember if they are timed or not.

·       There is very little shade, so take a hat and water if it is hot (there is a fountain just outside one of the entrances) [there are two entrances].

·       There is a restroom inside the Forum (and there is also some shade in the area)

·       There is an entrance to Palatine Hill directly from the Forum (there are signs pointing the way)

·       According to legend Rome began on Palatine Hill on April 21, 753 BCE (there have been some 8th century BCE graves found on the hill).  The area where the Forum exists was once a swamp, and supposedly where Romulus and Remus were left to die.

·       There were originally 5 Triumphal Arches in the Forum (only 3 survive). If interested – there were 36 Arches throughout Rome at one time.

·       Although I am sure my entourage enjoyed all of my facts and information at the time, I am sure that today (only 3 weeks later) they probably remember very little of it.

As mentioned, we were tired, so we took a cab back to the hotel.  The cab also remained at the hotel long enough for us to pick up our luggage; and we made our way to the Termini train station. [Although Termini station is not very far from the hotel (.8 miles), it was hot and we were tired.]

• Like 1

Tips for visiting the Roman Forum

·       There is a lot to see at the Forum. If you only see a bunch of ruins, you are doing yourself a disservice by not doing some research beforehand or at least having a good map with you that not only identifies the ruins, but also explains what they were used for.  I was able to point out all of the former structures for my DW and friends, but only gave them an Nth of the information I could have about this site.

·       If you purchase tickets to the Colosseum, you receive tickets to enter the Forum and Palatine Hill.  I cannot remember if they are timed or not.

·       There is very little shade, so take a hat and water if it is hot (there is a fountain just outside one of the entrances) [there are two entrances].

·       There is a restroom inside the Forum (and there is also some shade in the area)

·       There is an entrance to Palatine Hill directly from the Forum (there are signs pointing the way)

·       According to legend Rome began on Palatine Hill on April 21, 753 BCE (there have been some 8th century BCE graves found on the hill).  The area where the Forum exists was once a swamp, and supposedly where Romulus and Remus were left to die.

·       There were originally 5 Triumphal Arches in the Forum (only 3 survive). If interested – there were 36 Arches throughout Rome at one time.

·       Although I am sure my entourage enjoyed all of my facts and information at the time, I am sure that today (only 3 weeks later) they probably remember very little of it.

As mentioned, we were tired, so we took a cab back to the hotel.  The cab also remained at the hotel long enough for us to pick up our luggage; and we made our way to the Termini train station. [Although Termini station is not very far from the hotel (.8 miles), it was hot and we were tired.]

Pictures of the Roman Forum . . . .

Roman Forum, looking at Palatine Hill . . . 

DSC00364.JPG

Relief of the Romans taking the spoils of war (Menorah from the Holy Temple) as it appears on Trajan's Column

DSC00367.JPG

Trajan's Column

DSC00369.JPG

A look back at the Colosseum from the Roman Forum (near the Temple of Venus and Roma. This is a great spot for nice photo of the Colosseum.

DSC00373.JPG

Archeological finds from the museum within the Temple of Venus and Roma.  It is not very large, but has a number of wonderful artifacts.  This was not open 12 years ago when we were last there. [Note: There is a bathroom in this building.]

DSC00384.JPG

Edited by Travel R

More pictures from the Roman Forum . . .

Archeological dig display . . .

DSC00383.JPG

Temple of Saturn

DSC00394.JPG

Temple of Castor and Pollux

DSC00401.JPG

The Roman Forum

DSC00407.JPG

Looking up at Palatine Hill . . .

DSC00408.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

Oh, I do love the Forum!  It is so amazing to be able to walk around so much history.  When I first took Latin, the teaching assistant, long since become an important professor of  Classics and Roman History, used to tell us that the best way to learn Latin was to go the the sites and look for graffiti.  He said you could practically hear the ancient voices of ordinary people speaking to you.  When I go to the Forum I feel like I can see ordinary and extraordinary people walking around parade routes, going to temples, etc.  It is as close to daily life in Rome as I have been able to see.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ysolde said:

Oh, I do love the Forum!  It is so amazing to be able to walk around so much history.  When I first took Latin, the teaching assistant, long since become an important professor of  Classics and Roman History, used to tell us that the best way to learn Latin was to go the the sites and look for graffiti.  He said you could practically hear the ancient voices of ordinary people speaking to you.  When I go to the Forum I feel like I can see ordinary and extraordinary people walking around parade routes, going to temples, etc.  It is as close to daily life in Rome as I have been able to see.

Agreed.

The Roman Forum is one of my favorite places because, IMHO  it represents the essence of the Roman Empire when you envision the area in its former glory.  I agree, you can hear the voices of the past speak to you.  Unfortunately, what we mostly know of the past is both written by and to appease the people on top.

Many tourists visit the site and see only a "the ruins of a bunch of old buildings."  As I stated above, it is important for people to not only understand what they are seeing (identifying each of the structures), but the historic importance of the Forum as a whole.

• Like 1

2. The Long Ride to Venice

I want to start out this sub-part with an apology to my travelling party.   There are two different train companies that do the fast trains in Italy, Italo and Trenitalia.   In the cab, on the way to the station I looked at my App (Trentalia) and it showed that there were trains leaving within the next half hour to Venice.  However, when we arrived at the station, due to our fatigue (or my fatigue) and wanting to book tickets quickly, we went to the nearest kiosks and had a woman (from the train company) assist us. According to her, the next train was not leaving for 5 hours.  We were upset, but purchased the tickets and also paid for their lounge.

The lounge was not bad, we were able to sit back and relax.  They also served some drinks (mostly non-alcoholic, but also had wine) as well as a few light snacks.  However, we did walk around the station and purchased some food from 5 Guys Burgers (we have one not far from where we live – decent burgers and better shakes; but you can add multiple toppings on the burger).  We were able to get onto an earlier train (so only 4 hours waiting).

Although obvious, with everything going on, and in my pain and exhaustion, I forgot that there were two different train lines and if we would have gone to the Trentalia line we could have gotten a much earlier train. In order to get on the earlier train, we had to sit apart. My three travel partners sat together and I sat by myself – which was good. I was able to console myself for the mistake.  Although it gave us a few hours to just do nothing (which was needed), it was a waste of time we could have spent in Venice (we had to cancel our dinner reservations). To J, M, & N – I am sorry.

One thing of note, I sat across from an Italian data engineer that knew little English, but we figured out that we both knew some Spanish, so had a few brief conversations in Spanish.  It was nice.  We have met and spoken to many different people on this vacation and have had lovely interactions.  One of the great parts of travelling is meeting new people, talking to them, and learning new things.

We did travel in the First/Business Class car (called the “Club Car”), so it was nice with wide seats and plenty of space (inside the car at either end) to store our luggage (as well as overhead rack for additional items).  There was also water and coffee/tea available. In addition, the stewards brought snacks and a lunch on one occasion.  Of course, the lunch was a sandwich/wrap with cheese and I could not eat it. Fortunately, I had the burger (and hot dog) earlier and brought along snacks in my carry-on.  The one complaint I have about the train was that it was fitted with Italian air conditioning, which meant that it was not very cool (which would have been very welcome).

Although parts of the train ride were underground, we did see some areas of Italy including the rolling hills of Tuscany and the areas around Firenze and Bologna.  All areas that I hope to visit on our next trip to Italy (maybe for our 50th anniversary).

Tip: Remember that there are two different train companies that provide long-distance travel, and they both have two different time schedules.

Although I messed up on the train from Rome to Venice, I knew how to get go our hotel from the Venice station. However, once again there was a snaffu.  There were two stops on the Vaporetto with the same name. [Note: We purchased the tickets from a kiosk right outside (and down some stairs) from the train station – easy to do. The hard part was figuring out which line we were to go on (and the correct stop).] When talking to another couple confirming the stop, they told us to get off at the wrong stop on the wrong side of the Grand Canal. This required us to walk a bit more than expected (the roads were not smooth), and carry our luggage over the Rialto Bridge.  Yes, and amazing site from atop, but not while lugging heavy bags. At this point, even after the four-hour wait followed by a four-hour train ride, my body was just not doing well. Thanks to M and his muscles for getting the luggage up the bridge!!!!

Not sure how I was able to do it, but after checking into the hotel (Hotel Commedia) we decided to take a walk around Venice at night.  We first went up to the rooftop bar that had little to no view, then walked around the general area which brought us again to the top of the Rialto Bridge (and took some photos), then walked along the opposite side of the river.

Note: One observation I wanted to mention is that nightlife stopped in this area of Venice (Realto Bridge) around 11:00 – 11:30. After 11 most shops were closed and most restaurants were closing.  I am guessing that this is particular to this area since I heard that the nightlife in Venice starts picking up at 11.

We all walked back to the hotel. The room had nice rooms decorated in a Victorian Era motif. We took showers and quickly fell asleep.

Coming Up . . . . . Beautiful Venice and another Train Ride

• Like 1

Pictures of Termini Station and Pictures of Rome at night (taken from the Vaporetto)

Termini Station, with Baths of Diocletian in the background . . . 

DSC00417.JPG

A few snapshots taken in Venice at night while on the Vaperetto (all photos are raw and have not yet been edited). . .

DSC00418.JPG

DSC00419.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

Photo taken from atop the Rialto Bridge (while we were shlepping our suitcases across the span)

DSC00436.JPG

Edited by Travel R

A few random photographs of Venice at night . . . .

Display in a store window . . .

DSC00447.JPG

Gondola in the fog at night . . . 

DSC00450.JPG

A new friend . . 

DSC00458.JPG

Palaces alongthe Grand Canal

DSC00471.JPG

Gondolas in the moonlight . . .

DSC00477.JPG

Night lights of Venice Grand Canal as seen from the Rialto Bridge (yeah, I had my aperture set too high and shutter speed too low, but I like the effect of the lighting on the balustrade.)

DSC00467.JPG

DSC00456.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1

1.  St. Marks Basilica, Loge’s Palace, and a Gondola Ride

It was an early wakeup call for our morning in this multi-island fantasy world called Venice.  [Truth-be-told, the time relaxing in the lounge and the train for the extended time did provide us with some well-needed R&R, and this was the first morning since we arrived that I felt even slightly refreshed upon awakening.]  After meeting up with our travel mates and dropping off our luggage, we made our way towards St. Marks Square, keeping our eyes open for a place to eat.  

We came upon a small café a few blocks away that had a very limited breakfast of the usual pastries, but also offered pancakes and coffee/tea. We decided it was as good any and since there was an open table, we hastily took our seats. Although we did not order much (and the portions were not very large), the cost of breakfast wound up costing us 47 Euros. It was not a great breakfast (or coffee), but it gave us the energy we needed to start our day.  Venice is not the cheapest of cities and not sure if we would have found anything much less expensive.  Although Italians (and my DW) are more than satisfied with a coffee and a pastry in the morning, I am someone (before you say it, big breakfasts are not just an American thing) that enjoys beginning my day with a good breakfast, especially one where I know I am going to be active and will need the extra energy a hearty and wholesome breakfast provides.

Tip: Just be careful when walking around Venice, the streets are winding, and you may get a little lost – but it depends on how far you need to walk and how many bridges you need to cross.  Note that we used Google Maps to find our way around and rarely took a wrong turn; we were also on the same island as St. Marks and not too far away, so we did not have as much time to make a wrong turn. Our WiFi connection worked well in Venice, but you may want to download the map beforehand, just in case.

Luckily, we left the hotel early enough so we had enough time to go back to the hotel to get scarves for our wives to cover up while visiting St. Marks Basilica. It’s an active church, so a dress code is in effect. Tip: You need to cover up at St. Marks Basilica, so be prepared (they do not distribute extra veils to tourists like the Vatican).

We met up with our Tour Guide.  Almost immediately I was not happy with her.   Her comments were very basic and only nebulous at best, and my mind quickly turned her off and I enjoyed the sites using my own prior knowledge as a guide.  The walls and ceilings were wonderfully aesthetic, covered with multiple pieces of pained glass to form amazing mosaics.

The tour takes you through both sites (which are next to each other) in which we visit a lot of different rooms containing beautiful artwork and architecture.  Be sure to look all around, up, and down (some of the floor tiling is also pretty amazing). Our tour also took us to the Terrace, which had some great views.

We left the Guide just before the tour ended since it was getting too hot inside the building.  We walked out into the fresh air of the piazza and to our surprise, it started to flood, which made for some interesting photos.  Afterwards we did a little shopping (with a focus on looking for a watch); picked up a few souvenirs, and found our way to one of the docks that offered a gondola ride.

Yes, gondola rides are very touristy and not cheap (90 Euros for the 4 of us + Tip), but for any first-timer to this Island metropolis, it is a must.  I have to admit, it was very nice and I think we all enjoyed it.  We went through some side canals and the main canal, so we got to see a bit of everything. Although it was during the day, it was still romantic.  We took turns sitting in the front and back (about 15 minutes each), which worked out well.  [Don’t be embarrassed about asking to do so if travelling with another couple.]

[Side story: Gondolas can technically take 5 people and a family asked us as we were boarding if we would take their young son since they had a party of 6 and did not want to pay for two gondolas.  Besides the fact that we were doing this as a romantic activity, we did not feel right about having some stranger’s child with us.  I would never have thought about separating our kid from us – if anything it would have been myself or DW to split off from the group, not our daughter. Were we wrong not to take the kid?]

Although we had tentative plans to visit a few more places, we decided we had seen enough of Venice and would like to get to our final destination (Trieste) before the cruise.

I think we all felt differently about Venice.  It was a nice city to visit and would have enjoyed a second day there to see the remainder of the places (e.g., a nearby church that holds a Titian or a walk to and through Jewish Ghetto) or enjoy some of the nightlife or a good meal.  Although it was an amazing city to visit, it did not meet the hype or my expectations. Maybe it was because we were there for such a short amount of time or maybe we just did not see enough, but IMHO, there was something missing.  All-in-all, I had seen/done all that I wanted (St. Marks, Doges Palace, and gondola ride), so if I do not return to Venice, it will not be a big deal (I am blessed to have even visited it once). If I were to enjoy additional time in Venice, my perfect day would be to just wander around the jumbled streets taking photos and randomly frequenting small food venues when hungry.  That is just me, and I am sure others would find other uses of their time when visiting.

The walk to the vaporetto stop from the hotel is only 5 minutes away, and this time we got on the correct stop and it was only a few minutes ride back to the train station.

Tips for Visiting Venice, St. Marks Basilica, and Doges Palace

·       St. Marks is an active church, so covering of shoulders and knees are required (dress code not required in Doges Palace).

·       These buildings are not air conditioned, and it could get very hot and stuffy, especially going up and down some narrow passageways.

·       There are narrow stairways, so if you have mobility issues, you may want to reconsider

·       There is construction in the middle of St. Marks Square for the implementation of a massive water pump so stop the Square from flooding each day. The flooding should end next year, so enjoy it while you can – and if you want, there are galoshes / rain shoes you can purchase for 10 Euros in/near the Square.

·       Learn a little something about the history of Venice, St. Marks, and Doges Palace before going – including information about the architecture (which our Tour Guide did not provide) – especially the story of how the body of St. Marks was stolen; or the acquisition of many of the items from Constantinople.

·       Gondola ride docks can be found throughout all of Venice and you do not need a reservation (most of the time, especially during the day).  Payment needs to be made in cash, and there are set prices for day (90 Euros) and evenings after 7 PM (110 Euros) [these prices will most likely be going up in the future]. Note, if you do not have the money, you can take a traghetto (ferry) for 2 Euros, but it is a short ride that only takes you across the canal.

·       It gets very warm inside the buildings during the summer, so bring water and maybe a portable neck fan.  Morning or late tours will help you avoid some of the heat.

·       Note: Venice has had a declining population and has gone from 120,000 citizens in 1980 to around 50,000 today while the number of tourists has increased. 

·       Venice has banned large cruise ships, which now dock in either Trieste or Ravenna.  Tourists are also subject to a tourist tax. For those staying at a hotel, they will charge you separately for this. The amount depends on the offerings of the hotel (more amenities = higher charge).

·       We did not have the opportunity to dine in Venice due to our late arrival (I take blame for that), but note that from research we have found out that many restaurants are Touristy with touristy-quality food (but still not cheap).  If near St. Marks Square beware and do some research first as to which has good food and service.

Pictures of Venice and Doges Palace . . .

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore (taken from Doges Palace)

DSC00518.JPG

An interesting face. .  .

DSC00530.JPG

Inside the Doges Palace . .  .

DSC00550.JPG

Il Paradisio painting by Tintoretto within the Hall of the Great Council

DSC00566.JPG

Bars on the Bridge of Sighs . . .

DSC00573.JPG

Edited by Travel R
  • Like 1