Newby with a few questions.

Hello, I am new to NCL having been previously cruised Royal several times and have a few questions. I will be sailing on the Getaway. 

1.      I love the idea of O'Sheehan's for dinner when I don’t want the MDR or Buffet – is it crowded and hard to get a seat? 

2.      Is the American Diner only open for lunch and is there a surcharge?

3.      Are there showers in the gym that are free to use?

4.      How hard is it to get a day pass to the Thermal Suite on a sea day?   

I have been following the boards for the past few weeks and I am trying to get myself excited for the cruise, but I am expecting to not go to 2 ports on our itinerary (which is the entire reason I booked) and seeing a lot of unhappy comments Thanks for the help.

20 minutes ago, LizzieandLuke said:

Hello, I am new to NCL having been previously cruised Royal several times and have a few questions. I will be sailing on the Getaway. 

1.      I love the idea of O'Sheehan's for dinner when I don’t want the MDR or Buffet – is it crowded and hard to get a seat? 

2.      Is the American Diner only open for lunch and is there a surcharge?

3.      Are there showers in the gym that are free to use?

4.      How hard is it to get a day pass to the Thermal Suite on a sea day?   

I have been following the boards for the past few weeks and I am trying to get myself excited for the cruise, but I am expecting to not go to 2 ports on our itinerary (which is the entire reason I booked) and seeing a lot of unhappy comments Thanks for the help.

We were on the Getaway last summer and enjoyed the ship.  We've been on most of the ships in this class and they are all very similar.

1. Depending upon when you try going for dinner, O'Sheehans can be very busy.  it is in the center of all the delightful chaos of a busy cruise.  That said, we have never waited long for a table.  Although I think we've been lucky at times. Just know it will be noisy.

2. American Diner has always been open for lunch in the past when it was a "specialty restaurant".  However it is not an upcharge place now.  (changed last year sometime?)  I'm sure they will upcharge for some items, but not sure these days.  

3.  No...the gym does not have showers/locker rooms.  Those are part of the spa and not the fitness center ammenities.

4. We always get a Thermal spa pass for the whole cruise.  The Getaway spa is very nice with great views.  I think day passes are more available for port days, but our cruise last summer had two ports cancelled (weather related) and we noticed that the spa was significantly more crowded than it was on other days and we saw people we never saw other days, so I think they did sell some day passes.  It is definitely cruise specific.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Welcome to the NCL boards. It's really hard to tell how busy O'Sheehan's will be at dinner time but with both the 3 MDRs and buffet available, your chances are pretty good that you won't have a long wait.

American Diner is only at lunch and is complimentary.

I don't believe there are showers in the gym (not something I have ever used, LOL)

And day passes for the Thermal Suite are usually only available on port days, not sea days, With that being said, it doesn't hurt to ask on a sea day, as if the passes aren't completely sold out, you may be able to get in.

• Like 1

We have never waited even one minute for a table at O'Sheahan's/Local, no matter what time of day it is. We go for breakfast and it's usually practically empty.

As @debenson0723said, going at dinner they compete with the MDRs, the buffet...not to mention the many Specialty Restaurants, so not a problem.

Welcome to the NCL boards. It's really hard to tell how busy O'Sheehan's will be at dinner time but with both the 3 MDRs and buffet available, your chances are pretty good that you won't have a long wait
If there is a sporting event and it’s shown in O’Sheehan’s it is difficult to find seating!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LizzieandLuke said:

1. I love the idea of O'Sheehan's for dinner when I don’t want the MDR or Buffet – is it crowded and hard to get a seat?  There will be a short line at peak dining times. Otherwise, you can be seated quickly. No traditional dining on NCL. Everything is MyTime dining. Show up when you are hungry and when it fits your schedule. O'Sheehan's is open 24/7. 

Shanghai Noodle Bar (down the hall from O'Sheehan's) is another complimentary restaurant that we frequent. 

2. Is the American Diner only open for lunch and is there a surcharge? Mostly lunch hours. It is complimentary. 

3. Are there showers in the gym that are free to use? No showers in the gym. There is a locker room with showers for those who purchased a Thermal Suite pass. 

4. How hard is it to get a day pass to the Thermal Suite on a sea day?  Thermal Suite day passes are sold at the discretion of the Spa. And normally only on slow port days. You  can always check on sea days, but don't get your hopes up. Since NCL has jumped the weekly pass price up, there are fewer weekly purchases, so anything is possible. 

Have a wonderful cruise! We have sailed on the Getaway 4 times and she is a lovely ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1