Seabourn vs Cunard’s Grill

SwankPooch

I am a Cunard newbie and anticipate boarding Queen Anne next month. Comparison between the above brands will be appreciated. Newer sister ships on both Regent and Silversea are also on my bucket list.

Thanks

Edited by SwankPooch

I'd mainly have to say try other choices out and see what your preferences are.  We think both are nice but different starting with the more formal clothing expected on Cunard.  Some people don't like the larger ship with more passengers; other people like being in Grills for dining and having the benefits of a larger ship for entertainment.  We enjoy breakfast and lunch in Grills more than dinner.  If you are US based and have the Grills package with entry level drinks and gratuity included, then it is closer to all-inclusive and your main extra cost might be internet if you need that.  Non-US Cunard customers seldom get the Grills inclusive offer. Let us know what you think, but it all comes down to personal preferences and specific details that might be very important to some people but not others.  Our view is that its good to have choices, with one being round trips out of Brooklyn on QM2 that don't require us to fly internationally.  We find Regent and Silversea to be expensive because we don't take full advantage of their included shore excursions or bundled air but others will see that as an advantage.

• Like 2

Thanks for your response.  I am based in US and receive both the gratuities and drink package. However, I have never experienced a mega ocean liner.  Other than Seabourn, I had been on old Crystal.  I prefer cruising exclusively with a brand as I travel solo.  During my last cruise, I comprehend that I have no other choice but to explore other options.

Edited by SwankPooch
  • Like 1

On 9/6/2024 at 4:47 AM, SwankPooch said:

Comparison between the above brands will be appreciated

We’ve done one Cunard sailing in Queen’s Grill two years ago, so not as experienced or as recent with that brand as others here might be, but looking to go back.  We were very happy with the QG restaurant - having our own table for the voyage, having custom requests delivered perfectly, and the staff and their professionalism.  TBH, it delivered for us some of the best meals we’ve had at sea (standouts were the Crepes Suzette, the lamb, the Beef Wellington, and the incredibly deep wine list).  Last place I think that does real flambé tableside at sea. If you’re in QG, don’t be shy in asking for (almost) anything you might want for any meal - if they have the ingredients and enough time they will make it happen.  If you’re in Princess Grill it’s similar, but without as much flexibility in ordering off-menu.  Cabin likewise was great, and butler service was not as good as “old Crystal” but was still good IMHO. 

Outside of the food and service in the Grills, it’s a big ship and has all the positives and negatives that go along with that.  We’ve not been on Queen Anne (it was Queen Victoria).  Loved that the ship likes to dress up and still has ballroom dancing, and that Cunard has a real theatre, with boxes.  Overall we were charmed but did not find outside the restaurant the service was as personal or “intuitive” as Seabourn can be (at times).  It’s a unique product and left us very impressed.  Just too big of a ship people-wise overall for us.

Please report back on how your voyage goes! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am in Queen’s Grill. My choices are limited as I don’t consume beef, lamb or cheese . Japanese food  is my favorite . Is sashimi solely served in Aji Wa (Japanese restaurant)?  Would it be too much hassle to request special dish for lunch?

10 minutes ago, SwankPooch said:

I am in Queen’s Grill. My choices are limited as I don’t consume beef, lamb or cheese . Japanese food  is my favorite . Is sashimi solely served in Aji Wa (Japanese restaurant)?  Would it be too much hassle to request special dish for lunch?

If you are in QG and ask for sashimi for lunch or dinner that won't be a problem; they will do that for you.  Best if you let them know the meal before and then they'll get the order in and have it ready for you.  Overall we thought the fish dishes were among the best on QM2 QG.  There will be multiple fish, chicken, and non-meat dishes on the menu every lunch and dinner.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stan01 said:

If you are in QG and ask for sashimi for lunch or dinner that won't be a problem; they will do that for you.  Best if you let them know the meal before and then they'll get the order in and have it ready for you.  Overall we thought the fish dishes were among the best on QM2 QG.  There will be multiple fish, chicken, and non-meat dishes on the menu every lunch and dinner.  

Happy and surprised that one can get sashimi in QG.  I note that the sushi in Kings Court usually looks gross and inedible.  I don't expect Japanese cuisine in QG, just old fashioned French style from the 1950s.

You can get whatever you want with advance notice if they have it onboard.  No problem not eating lamb, beef etc.   They don’t care just let them know what you would like to eat.

If you are eating kosher you do need to give them several weeks notice.

• Like 1

The professionalism of the QG wait staff is unmatched by Seabourn’s best efforts. It starts with their training, supervision, the connection with you at your fixed table and their experience. No haphazard confusion/lapses with the QG kitchen ever.

If you want to talk about the ship within a ship concept then the QG suite/butler/dining/lounge combination is the original one.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Markham, thanks for your reassurance.  Th butlers in old Crystal are luck of the draw.  I am eagerly anticipating the upcoming cruise, even though I have been to those ports numerous times. Ship and the service experience are much more pertinent than the destination this time.

Edited by SwankPooch

3 hours ago, markham said:

The professionalism of the QG wait staff is unmatched by Seabourn’s best efforts. It starts with their training, supervision, the connection with you at your fixed table and their experience. No haphazard confusion/lapses with the QG kitchen ever.

Can honestly say this was not our experience in our first and last Q1 sailing on Queen Victoria.

Numerous problems with the cooking and quality of food !

21 hours ago, markham said:

If you want to talk about the ship within a ship concept then the QG suite/butler/dining/lounge combination is the original one.

Hello Markham!  Happy to read that you are so pleased with your QG experience.  Ours was not so perfect, more hovering and constantly asking if everything was all right.  There were issues, nothing earth-shaking, but issues.  Comparison to Seabourn:  Problems and issues at Seabourn as well, but the service was more friendly, more casual, and it suits us better than the overly-formal service in QG on Cunard.  Both good, both with issues, but Seabourn more to our taste.

Happy sailing to you, as always!

19 hours ago, markham said:

How does your QV experience compare to what you have experienced on Seabourn?

I know you are no longer a fan of Seabourn or the concept of the Retreat but for us our recent sailing on QV directly flowing 30 day med cruise on Ovation with full Retreat was appalling.

At this point I can’t go into detail but once our claim is concluded, will be fine to give details and comparisons.

I have changed my mind about The Retreat. I have since learned that HAL ships have them and they obviously run Seabourn in more ways than just operationally. Taking deck space from Encore and Ovation, deck spaced starved as they are, and trying to make money for a “premium service” makes sense to them.

So times change and so have I. On our 2 weeker August Encore cruise we used The Retreat, largely to have a getaway from the “hey you guys” hollering mob at poolside, to have our own space for a few hours, the excellent service from Carlos and team, and some order/quiet/“old Seabourn”. It is worth the money since the alternative is too much to handle…Yes, times have changed, sadly, IMO.

Anyway, that’s a cautionary to summer cruisers on these 2 ships. “Put up/pay up or shut up” and get your spot in The Retreat so you won’t be shut out!

Markham, 

I will eventually follow your footsteps in cruising. I was treated inequitably by management team onboard even though I travelled exclusively with them for years.  I communicated to the President to try to rectify the issue a few days prior to commencing the next segment in vain. As long as I was onboard, Headquarter stood by the decisions of the management team onboard.  I was disappointed that Seabourn prioritized paid or complimentary upgrades above guests with published rates.  Even though I still retain a few cruises with sailing dates within 6 months, I cancelled the world cruise the next day after disembarkation.

Your valuable insights on the newer sister ships of Regent and Silversea, or any insights of the above brands in general will be immensely appreciated.

Thanks again for your attention.

Our next cruise is on Dawn, now just a month away. It starts in Copenhagen and we will take a month to reach Athens. I know the ship from 3 earlier cruises, 2 of which were in November and one in summer. We love the large top deck track and long deep swimming pool, facilities Seabourn just doesn’t offer, and the vibe is relaxed/sophisticated especially in the bars. That said I wish the entertainment was of higher quality and energetic as we very much enjoy Seabourn-style sailaways!

On 2025 we will cruise on Nova in April. I very much look forward to it. My TA is a big fan but I am a bit concerned about the semi-open deck high deck Marquee area that accommodates the Grill and Spaccanapoli outlets given the likelihood of variable weather between Japan and Vancouver.

But so what? It’s an adventure!

I will certainly be on cruisecritic with observations of all sorts.

• Thanks 1

We have sailed Cunard in PG a number of times on the QM2 and found it a wonderful experience. For us, there is no better way to cross the pond than on the QM2 — a gorgeous ocean liner and best ship in the world for rough seas. 
Having said that, outside of the QM2,  prefer Seabourn.