S.A and Chilean Fjords "Demanding" excursions

RJM-BBM

My wife and I are booked for this cruise at the end of January. Viking's excursion descriptions are pretty useless in terms of describing why any specific excursion is graded "Demanding," with the same generic text on all of them. I can't tell if they're demanding because we'd have to climb up the side of a mountain (not something I can do) or because we'd have to walk 3 to 5 miles (something we can do). If anyone here has taken any of the following excursions and can provide any details on what makes them difficult, I would greatly appreciate you sharing that info. Many thanks:

Alerce Andino National Park Hike
Punta Arenas by foot
Hike Magellan's Strait Park
Tierra Mayor Nature Reserve Trek
Ushuaia Flightseeing (why is a helicopter ride "demanding"?)
Gentoo Penguins at Newans Station
Penguins of Yorke Bay
Off-Road Excursion to Volunteer Point
Punta Loma Nature Reserve by RIB
Punta del Este Food & Art

Thanks again.

We took this cruise 2 years ago and we only went on one hike that was a difficult climb and even that one was difficult because of the wind!  I don't see it on your list. The walks/ hike were on good paths.  When you first get on the ship, go to Guest Services and go over your list with them.  They will have a far moer accurate description of excursions.  I do not know why doesn't provide those before booking.

We did this cruise as the world was emerging from Covid and had lots of restrictions and did 4 legs it was a fantastic.  We would do this itinerary again!  The scenery/ cruising days were great and we had wonderful naturalists on board for whale and bird sightings.  Adding it to a Transatlantic either before or after was great.  If you don't do that try and get to see Iguaza Falls.

• Like 1

My husband and I did the “Hike Magellan’s Strait Park” and we would describe it as demanding for most people. The hike is about 3-5 miles and involves fairly steep inclines and declines at points on a narrow dirt path.  I routinely jog 4-6 miles a day at home but needed the guide to give me a “hand” a couple of times on some of the steeper hills.  Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed the hike and beautiful views. At the end, we stopped for delicious refreshments and a local alcoholic beverage at the visitor center. 

• Like 1

We did the Punta Arenas by Foot walk, and would not consider it demanding. The only part that could be difficult was the climb up a hill to a viewing area that overlooks the city and ocean. It may have been labeled Demanding because it is 2.5 hours, all standing, with no bus time involved.

Viking's generic descriptions of the difficulty levels do need to be fine tuned. They could add a brief note about each tour, specifying why that excursion is easy, moderate or difficult.

Edited by AZ_Tim
  • Like 1

The Off Road Excursion to Volunteer Point is demanding due to being jostled and bounced around in a 4 wheel drive vehicle on a rough road.  Not recommended for folks with lower back issues or those whose hips cannot brace the body against the side by side movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I pretty much concur with the above posters regarding Hike Magellan Strait Park and Volunteer Point. 

We also did Punte del Este Food and Art and cannot imagine why it is rated demanding unless it is referring to the ability to eat and drink wine while visiting art museums over a 9-10 hour day.  We loved all 3 tours.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 9:45 AM, deec said:

We took this cruise 2 years ago and we only went on one hike that was a difficult climb and even that one was difficult because of the wind!  I don't see it on your list. The walks/ hike were on good paths.  When you first get on the ship, go to Guest Services and go over your list with them.  They will have a far moer accurate description of excursions.  I do not know why doesn't provide those before booking.

We did this cruise as the world was emerging from Covid and had lots of restrictions and did 4 legs it was a fantastic.  We would do this itinerary again!  The scenery/ cruising days were great and we had wonderful naturalists on board for whale and bird sightings.  Adding it to a Transatlantic either before or after was great.  If you don't do that try and get to see Iguaza Falls.

Did I read somewhere that you did the hike in Ushuaia with the dogs? 

How difficult did you find that one if you did...

In Ushuaia we did a great excursion that included a 4x4 ride, a nice hike and a picnic at a restaurant ( Covid time so we were outside) and the restaurant was in a resort like setting and there were sled dogs there most were penned but a few wandering about looking to be petted. The dogs were not on the hike.  It was a great excursion not sure if it is still offered. The hike was a bit demanding mostly because some of it was muddy.

• Thanks 1