No snow based excursions autumn?

Presto2

We are currently looking at a cruise on Aurora first 2 weeks of December 2025 to Norway. One of the main reasons to go would be to do the snow based excursions like the huskies etc etc.

Have just seen a note saying that in the Autumn you can not do the snow based excursions. 

Sounds silly but think I am right that the meteorological winter starts Dec 1st .. though I always think of it as the 21st December winter solstice. Not sure which PO use !

Has anyone been on a cruise like this in December and were you allowed to do the snow activities? 

If not back to the drawing board ...

I agree that this seems odd. I would have thought that Tromso and Narvik would both have snow at that time of year, but we have only been there in March. There was plenty then! My only guess would be that in December they cannot guarantee enough snow coverage at the locations where the excursions happen and, as a result, they aren’t available, but that’s a pure guess. It would help if they said why!

• Thanks 1

We have done ski breaks in Lapland many times in Finnish Lapland in February which is above the arctic circle and know that on some rare occasions they have minimum snow early December. That is rare though and Santa season over there so is very unusual as it is their main tourist time. Have looked at weather sites and can't see why they would not operate in Dec that high up in Norway.

3 minutes ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

We did this cruise last year and had the same caveats but they did have all the excursions you would expect and we did have snow. Only issue I had was trying to book a private huskie tour which wasn't available til January 

Would you recommend this cruise .... Off topic sorry but it's either this or we lose a deposit and book nothing ...

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I agree that this seems odd. I would have thought that Tromso and Narvik would both have snow at that time of year, but we have only been there in March. There was plenty then! My only guess would be that in December they cannot guarantee enough snow coverage at the locations where the excursions happen and, as a result, they aren’t available, but that’s a pure guess. It would help if they said why!

.. but of course we know that isn't the P&O way, except for stating "for operational reasons"!

• Like 1