Comparing NCL Escape with the NCL Viva, regarding entertainment, music, dance venues, please help.

gam888

We are considering a 10 day cruise in November in Europe with either the NCL Escape or the NCL Viva. Could you please share your experience regarding the entertainments offered on these ships. What Broadway or production shows are on these ships now? I heard that Beatlejuice is on one of them? Are there any production shows that are mainly singing and dancing with elaborate costumes? What are the dance venues on these ships? We like to do some ballroom dancing on cruises, but do not expect to find a venue for such on a NCL ship. However, some of the past cruises we have sailed on NCL, there had been some very good bands that played a variety of music that are very danceable. We are not that much into game shows, so we are looking for a ship that offers more dance venues, with either a live band or DJ. Please share any thoughts on the food, entertainment, and the amenities of the ship in general. The NCL Escape seems to be a larger ship than the Viva, would you feel more crowded being in the Escape? Thank you in advance. 

Ballroom Dancing probably isn't on the agenda with either ship.  At least, I've never seen any.

Escape has Choir of Man as their main show.  I have seen it and it's excellent.  Escape also has Sid Norman's.  

Viva has Beetlejuice.  Haven't seen it.  But, usually NCL lifts West End, Vegas and Broadway entertainment from those venues in tact.  So, I'd expect it to be good.  Viva also has ICONS, which is also very good.  Viva has Syd Norman's too.

The house band there does a total Rumours album performance, which is outstanding.  They also do a "Prom Night" themed show, which is also excellent.

There are other shows, but I don't recall them off the top of my head.  Might want to go the the NCL web site and look them over.

There are usually late night dance parties out by the big screens at Spice H20 with a DJ.

Escape is the bigger ship (I think).  Viva is a tad smaller.  Crowds?  I guess that's more a function of where you want to hang out.  Probably no crowds by the pools in Europe in November.

Escape has a typical MDR and Garden Buffet along with the Special Dining venues you're familiar with given you've sailed NCL before.

Viva has a smaller Buffet but also has the Indulge Food Hall, which is great as you can choose from a multitude of different cuisines and have it served to you (vs the buffet).

The rest, you're familiar with since you've sailed NCL previously.

Edited by graphicguy

The Viva is an Escape wannabe. The 3000 passenger Viva is 2/3 the passengers than the 4500 passenger Escape. 

Everything will be smaller on the Viva which leads to the perception that it is more crowded. For the most part, it is “right sized”. Nope, the venues won’t be the same size as the Escape. 

On very rare occasion, I have seen some ballroom music in the late afternoon, but it is not a NCL thing. 

• Haha 1

One thing we didn't like while on Viva and will not go on Viva or Prima, and possibly the Aqua, again ....

The bars on the Viva carry limited alcohol and can only serve drinks that are on the menu pertaining to the bar. Several drinks are pre-mixed and are often too sweet. We asked for several martinis (that we have had many times before on other NCL ships) from various bars but were refused as they did not carry the liquor needed for the martinis. Cosmopolitan was pre-mixed (and tasted too sweet). The so-called Sail & Sustain cocktails are so sweet and were quite undrinkable to us.

Viva is a lovely ship with very nice regular balcony rooms, great restaurants, etc, but the bars were not for us (and we do not even drink a lot).

Cut-backs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re on the Escape right now. Saw Choir of Man (again) and it was excellent (again). Prom Night in Syd’s was also awesome.

Want to know what wasn’t excellent or awesome? The so-called Comedian/Magician. He wasn’t funny…at all. Although he seemed to find himself amusing. He did only one “magic” trick…but he was so bad people were massively walking out. His “Grand Finale” was (no, I’m not making this up)…shadow puppets. And NCL had the nerve to book this guy in the theater…TWICE!! I think the only person who was entertained was the guy on stage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gam888 said:

Thank you everyone for replying my post. I will continue my research before making a decision.

November in Europe ... Escape is a better ship as Viva is good for warm weather. Our son, his gf and some friends are on Escape in Nov!

Reading this thread since we were just on the Viva and will be sailing Escape next year.

Beetlejuice, Rumours (at Syd Normans), and Icons were good (especially Rumours, but you have to get there very early to get a seat).  Press Your Luck, was not bad (especially if you remember it from years ago), but not something I would see twice.

Note that Choir of Man is ending on November 17th, and so far have not read what will be replacing it on the Escape.

As to another person's comment, we have sailed on the Getaway (which is Breakaway Class, Escape is Breakaway Plus) - so if the Escape is similar to the Getaway, the Viva is not a smaller copy. I see it as completely different, from design to offerings, to the size of its entertainment venues (many times the Viva seemed crowded).  We did enjoy the Breakaway much more, but the rooms on the Viva were nice and there is an Indulge on the Viva, which was a great food venue.[Note that a link to the Viva review I am in the process of writing is in my signature]

Note - Although everyone travels differently, we do not choose our cruises based on entertainment. If choosing between the two ships, for me, I would first look at: (1) itinerary, (2) cost, then which of the dates work better for us. Although I may do some research on what entertainment is available, it has never been a factor.

Edited to add: I can see the Viva being very crowded at night if it is too cold to go on deck (which includes outdoor seating maybe not being an option).

Edited by Travel R

1 hour ago, Travel R said:

Note that Choir of Man is ending on November 17th, and so far have not read what will be replacing it on the Escape.....

It looks like they are going to continue Choir of Man on Escape and Encore.  They have been auditioning for a new cast to board Escape on November 17th. 

(per Creative Studios by NCLH website)

Entertainers for these productions are signed for contracts of six to eight months.  I'm glad to see they are still hiring for Choir of Man as we love this show!

• Like 1

Just now, Sand and Seas said:

It looks like they are going to continue Choir of Man on Escape and Encore.  They have been auditioning for a new cast to board Escape on November 17th. 

(per Creative Studios by NCLH website)

Entertainers for these productions are signed for contracts of six to eight months.  I'm glad to see they are still hiring for Choir of Man as we love this show!

Thanks for the info.  That's good news. Have heard good things about the show!

• Like 1