Corkage Fee

Cruzinram

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Why would you even want to do that.  If you are going to open it yourself, open it in your room, pour a glass full and bring it with you and avoid the situation all together. 

And if you desire a second glass....send the wife back to the room for another!

Cheers

10 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's not the point. Kordy commented that rich people would pay the corkage. My answer to that was they would probably be booked in a suite and have the drink package. You proved my point by saying common folk book suites as well. If a rich person doesn't want to foot the bill to book a suite you can bet that they won't pay a $42 corkage fee either.  Common folk also book standard rooms AI or buy the drink package. So I don't know who will be paying this fee and I hope they disclose the outrageous amount before they open the bottle. It would be cheaper to just buy the wine at that price point.

Why would a rich person pay a $42 corkage fee? Most have become rich because they've been frugal all their lives.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Why would a rich person pay a $42 corkage fee? Most have become rich because they've been frugal all their lives.  

Yes, but at some point in their lives, when they're closer to death and retired and their bank accounts are full-of-money, they realise, they have no more reasons to be really frugal, but to finally start enjoying their life.  At that point, a $42 corkage fee is the least of their worries - they don't know how much time they have left and they want to enjoy life.

You can save all the money all your life, by being frugal, but when you get rich and you realize you're getting older, there is not much money you can take into your grave with you.  You might as well enjoy life... splurge :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Yes, but at some point in their lives, when they're closer to death and retired and their bank accounts are full-of-money, they realise, they have no more reasons to be really frugal, but to finally start enjoying their life.  At that point, a $42 corkage fee is the least of their worries - they don't know how much time they have left and they want to enjoy life.

You can save all the money all your life, by being frugal, but when you get rich and you realize you're getting older, there is not much money you can take into your grave with you.  You might as well enjoy life... splurge 🙂

Old habits are hard to break. 😆 

1 minute ago, Kordy said:

You can save all the money all your life, by being frugal, but when you get rich and you realize you're getting older, there is not much money you can take into your grave with you.  You might as well enjoy life... splurge 🙂

You can enjoy life while also putting aside money for others.  If they want to be frugal, they might book a Sky Suite instead of a Royal Suite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kordy said:

My father is 92 in good health and mind. He has nothing to worry about financially but he lives like it's the depression. He had a lasagna pan catching water in his 22 yr old refrigerator until I dragged him to the store to buy a new one.  

If you are at the end of your life and don't care you will either buy the drink package or over spend for a bottle of wine. People who bring wine on board are tying to cut expenses. Nothing wrong with that but $42 to uncork defeats the purpose.

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You can enjoy life while also putting aside money for others.  If they want to be frugal, they might book a Sky Suite instead of a Royal Suite.

Totally agree. I'm on a 15 night TA cruise next year on Ascent and booked a deluxe inside but on the following 11 night Mediterranean also on ascent I booked the sunset verandah more than I'd normally like to spend but its what I wanted and I don't regret it.  Its my first Mediterranean cruise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you are at the end of your life and don't care you will either buy the drink package or over spend for a bottle of wine. People who bring wine on board are tying to cut expenses. Nothing wrong with that but $42 to uncork defeats the purpose.

I must be at the end of my life then

I buy the drink package

I bring wine ..on board. something i would actually enjoy drinking

I also overspend( as some say) on additional bottles

No, I'm not rich

I'M ON VACATION!!!!!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I bring wine onboard because Celebrity doesn't carry what I enjoy drinking. 

I did not say that

I was responding to @Iamcruzin

I also bring wine onboard, which they don't carry

Celebrity actually does carry some very nice wines...at a very not so nice price per bottle.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, highway180 said:

I did not say that

I was responding to @Iamcruzin

I also bring wine onboard, which they don't carry

Celebrity actually does carry some very nice wines...at a very not so nice price per bottle.

Cheers

Yes they do carry some nice brands but I like to bring a specific wine which I drink with my meal. We don't go out a lot to land based restaurants so its my little treat.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markeb said:

That corkage is now moderately high compared to high cost areas. Most of their pricing is more New York or San Francisco already. A quick Google search of corkage fees for higher end restaurants in Manhattan averages around $30, with Jean Georges and the Polo Bar coming in at $85 and $100 respectively. Again, those are places people aren't bringing Two-Buck Chuck to!

Apples and oranges.  Even in specialty dining Celebrity does not compare to the nicer restaurants and should not command the higher fees.  I give them 3 out of 5 stars on a good day.

Replace Celebrity's Michelin Man with a Michelin star and then perhaps I would agree...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What are the names of some of those nice wines?  I will look for them.

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche comes to mind

Hold on to your wallet.

Last trip on the Ascent it was going for over $400/bottle

Needless to say, i went for lower end Freemark Abbey Cab .

Cheers

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche comes to mind

Hold on to your wallet.

Last trip on the Ascent it was going for over $400/bottle

Needless to say, i went for lower end Freemark Abbey Cab .

Cheers

The lower end freemark abbey sells onboard for between 80 and 90. They actually had one waiting in my cabin for me think it was pre covid. Pretty sweet. (Not literally). 

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Apples and oranges.  Even in specialty dining Celebrity does not compare to the nicer restaurants and should not command the higher fees.  I give them 3 out of 5 stars on a good day.

Replace Celebrity's Michelin Man with a Michelin star and then perhaps I would agree...

That's their pricing model. Not saying they compare to those restaurants, but they price things on the ship that way. So $35 is in line with most of their pricing.

They are higher than most other cruise lines. NCL is $15 and Princess and HAL are $20. But no one should be paying any of those corkage fees for an inexpensive bottle of wine. 

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

The lower end freemark abbey sells onboard for between 80 and 90. They actually had one waiting in my cabin for me think it was pre covid. Pretty sweet. (Not literally). 

It's showing on my next cruise @ $110/bottle  

Although earlier this year i did get an awesome price on 2 bottles in the MDR on the Ascent.

So obviously the sommelier has the "power of the pen" when it comes to pricing.

I will admit that is NOT the norm. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

People who bring wine on board are tying to cut expenses. Nothing wrong with that but $42 to uncork defeats the purpose.

That's not universally true. People on most of these threads are trying to cut expenses, which is why they open the bottles in their cabin and carry a glass. There are people who bring something nice with them and expect to pay a corkage to enjoy it with a meal. 

10 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The problem with carrying drinks around on a ship is that they invariably spill some of the drink as they walk causing slippery pathways or stained carpets.    Especially common after a few drinks or in less than calm seas.  

I'll bring a drink with me from my cabin if I'm going directly to dinner. The MDRS are all close to elevators. If I'm at the Martini bar I'll go back to my cabin to get it.  Only takes a few minutes of my time.

13 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'll bring a drink with me from my cabin if I'm going directly to dinner. The MDRS are all close to elevators. If I'm at the Martini bar I'll go back to my cabin to get it.  Only takes a few minutes of my time.

You will fit right in with all those HH customers, dragging their free drinks into the dining room as well.

Cheers