OBC

Redtravel

I am always appreciative when I get OBC.  I look at it as a bonus to enhance my cruise. I get to choose how I use it. Unfortunately there are times when it becomes difficult to spend it.  Just read a thread about a cruise that canceled some ports. People who had prebooked optional tours using OBC got a credit. That OBC became difficult to spend. Cruise went to final port 3 days earlier. Ship stores are closed.  How can they get value from that OBC?  It has left some guests frustrated and disappointed.  Viking could turn this around.  Allow unused nonrefundable OBC be transferred to a future cruise booking made onboard. It would likely be an incentive to book a future cruise.  If that future booking gets canceled, the OBC would be forfeited.  It would be a good solution for guests getting stuck with unusable OBC. It would cost Viking nothing. It would also make Viking look good. 

• Like 4

Great idea! From one of the folks on the Iceland cruise earlier this month which missed 3 ports, and had lots of nonrefundable shore excursion money to use on the last 2 days. 

I do have to say that Viking has offered us vouchers for a future trip that exceed the value of those nonrefundable credits, so maybe that is their way of dealing with it. 

here is photo of Windy app showing winds to east of Iceland last week when our captain chose to sail back around the west side!

Windy iceland.PNG

Knowing Viking as I do, I would be very surprised if they did not or would not do something to compensate for this.  If something so unpredictable happens that you cannot access the credit and they won't refund or voucher it, I cannot believe that...  That is not the Viking that I know.

17 hours ago, wine-wine-wine said:

Off topic sorry - which app is better? Windy.app or windy.com? I see both in the iOS App Store, both with many good reviews. Thanks!

I use windy.com and it works fine.  I get tired of having to download an app to access stuff.  I also like windfinder.com and enter specific locations that i frequent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, Redtravel said:

I am always appreciative when I get OBC.  I look at it as a bonus to enhance my cruise. I get to choose how I use it. Unfortunately there are times when it becomes difficult to spend it.  Just read a thread about a cruise that canceled some ports. People who had prebooked optional tours using OBC got a credit. That OBC became difficult to spend.

TBH, I'm unaware of any cruise line that takes prepaid shore excursions (to my knowledge, they all allow for shorex to be booked prior to the sailing... sometimes as soon as the trip is booked), and then refunds it as non-refundable OBC.

I want to say that it was unclear what was going on with that poster's onboard account.