Alaska - Koningsdam vs. Eurodam, Vancouver vs. Seattle

Anastas617

On 9/24/2024 at 8:51 AM, AKJonesy said:

I am not going to address the itinerary issue others have mentioned.  I agree with you regarding Seattle - yuck.  IMHO Vancouver is as easy or easier getting to the port.  Years ago, we sailed out of Vancouver and I just did not like the hassle because we took a bus to get back to SEA which was LONGGGGG, but then two years ago, we sailed from there again, and we got a whole new and better experience.  

A couple of things.  We flew from SEA to YVR for $99 each way which I thought was cheap.  Our connection is always SEA to Alaska.  One time we did the HAL transfer which was super easy and they collect you at baggage claim.  The downside is that you have to wait for everyone.  The second time we took the train;  EASY and cheap!  The station is right there at the airport.  They have lifts to the departure floor and it was an easy two block walk to the cruise pier once you depart from the Canada Place train station which is the last stop.  We had our roller bags and it was easy on the sidewalks in Vancouver.

In and around the cruise pier area, it is very lovely.  We dropped our bags and went for a nice walk.  We watched the float planes take off from the waterfront and considered the hop on hop off.  This time on our upcoming HAL Coastal trip, we are arriving a day early and are staying 3-4 blocks away in a nice but NOT INSANELY priced hotel like the Pan Pacific which many people will recommend.  Yes, the PP is right there and convenient, but for much less I can walk 3 blocks on the sidewalk with my luggage...no problem.  I love the vibe of the area and am looking forward to our trip in October.  

For me it's the Pinnacle class because I love the additional restaurants and the multi level pool area, Gelato, the library, and more.  The only downside is that there are no deck chairs on the Promenade because the lifeboats take up the area, but it is still a nice walk around the deck.  You can find deck chairs all over the higher decks, if the weather permits.  I still like the Eurodam but I'd probably choose a Pinnacle class ship if the itinerary was good and/or similar.  

Thanks. Great info on the train and hotel.

On 9/24/2024 at 5:51 AM, AKJonesy said:

I am not going to address the itinerary issue others have mentioned.  I agree with you regarding Seattle - yuck.  IMHO Vancouver is as easy or easier getting to the port.  Years ago, we sailed out of Vancouver and I just did not like the hassle because we took a bus to get back to SEA which was LONGGGGG, but then two years ago, we sailed from there again, and we got a whole new and better experience.  

A couple of things.  We flew from SEA to YVR for $99 each way which I thought was cheap.  Our connection is always SEA to Alaska.  One time we did the HAL transfer which was super easy and they collect you at baggage claim.  The downside is that you have to wait for everyone.  The second time we took the train;  EASY and cheap!  The station is right there at the airport.  They have lifts to the departure floor and it was an easy two block walk to the cruise pier once you depart from the Canada Place train station which is the last stop.  We had our roller bags and it was easy on the sidewalks in Vancouver.

In and around the cruise pier area, it is very lovely.  We dropped our bags and went for a nice walk.  We watched the float planes take off from the waterfront and considered the hop on hop off.  This time on our upcoming HAL Coastal trip, we are arriving a day early and are staying 3-4 blocks away in a nice but NOT INSANELY priced hotel like the Pan Pacific which many people will recommend.  Yes, the PP is right there and convenient, but for much less I can walk 3 blocks on the sidewalk with my luggage...no problem.  I love the vibe of the area and am looking forward to our trip in October.  

For me it's the Pinnacle class because I love the additional restaurants and the multi level pool area, Gelato, the library, and more.  The only downside is that there are no deck chairs on the Promenade because the lifeboats take up the area, but it is still a nice walk around the deck.  You can find deck chairs all over the higher decks, if the weather permits.  I still like the Eurodam but I'd probably choose a Pinnacle class ship if the itinerary was good and/or similar.  

@AKJonesy I know this is off topic for this thread but are you on the upcoming Pacific Coastal on Koningsdam, 10/22 - 10/26? I ask because we are and we initially booked at the Marriott Pinnacle (I’m pretty loyal to Marriott due to points) but recently switched to the Fairmont Waterfront when their rates dipped below the Marriott prices. Furthermore, if you happen to have a Delta Amex card, you can get a rebate up to $250 (depending on card level) by booking through Delta Stays. We did this and now our room at the Fairmont is about $200 less than the Marriott would have been. This may not be applicable to you but thought I’d mention it in case it was. 

• Like 1