Dual piano are coming back

Some of the pianos are real.  On the Nieuw Statendam in April, the piano player was talking about how he had to adjust since a string broke!  And how quickly they drift out of tune.  

But I think I remember some electric pianos on other ships...

The irony of requesting Piano Man, and the musician having no choice but to play it over and over and over and over is completely lost on those requesting it.  I feel for those performers.

I just wish they'd move "my" roulette wheel, maybe back to where the Craps table is and the the Craps table right across from the piano bar.  The noise generated by those two would be, um, a dueling cacophony!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2024 at 3:06 PM, VMax1700 said:

They are Yamaha Electronic Grand Pianos,  I think they are model CLP765 weight about 100kg, so 220 lbs.  The 'keyboard' unit does indeed lift out, but the speakers, pedals etc are part of the body.  It could be dis-assembled and stored in quite a small area. 

Interesting.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

The irony of requesting Piano Man, and the musician having no choice but to play it over and over and over and over is completely lost on those requesting it.  I feel for those performers.

I just wish they'd move "my" roulette wheel, maybe back to where the Craps table is and the the Craps table right across from the piano bar.  The noise generated by those two would be, um, a dueling cacophony!

Brings back a memory of when we went to a land-based piano bar that had a really terrific piano bar player/singer.  He made it clear, in writing, that he would only do Piano Man or Sweet Caroline if the request was accompanied by $10 :).  I recall another piano bar player (it might have been on HAL) who, when asked to do Piano Man, would acknowledge the request and say he would do it later.  Of course, "later" never came or perhaps nobody was awake late enough.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

I hope this rumor is true.

Not a rumor. Fact. We had the full two pianists on the recent Oosterdam Med cruise. I think the single pianists are an exception rather than the rule. That happens on the longer, South American or South Pacific cruises.

• Like 1

On my trip they were Gabe and Megan. Both great. Gabe had been in a touring production of "Million Dollar Quartert" as Jerry Lee Lewis and his piano skills and voice made it clear why. Megan had a good voice and piano skills as well as an ability to play music off the usual play list. On all of the evenings the last set (which started around 1045) was all request. And no, "Piano Man" was not on that list, although it did make some appearances. They really played some less known music (I requested and got "Saturday in the Park".). The last night of the cruise was totally request. So yes, two players and a variety of music.

• Like 4

On 9/24/2024 at 8:06 AM, VMax1700 said:

They are Yamaha Electronic Grand Pianos,  I think they are model CLP765 weight about 100kg, so 220 lbs.  The 'keyboard' unit does indeed lift out, but the speakers, pedals etc are part of the body.  It could be dis-assembled and stored in quite a small area. 

In my two most recent cruises, they were full acoustic grand pianos, not electronic grands.  This must vary from ship to ship.

2 hours ago, sciencewonk said:

In my two most recent cruises, they were full acoustic grand pianos, not electronic grands.  This must vary from ship to ship.

My most recent were on Rotterdam & Nieuw Statendam and I know one, if not both, of them had the electronics. However, I will admit that I was not carrying out a scientific survey, but just being 'nosey'!😇

On 9/23/2024 at 5:16 PM, NCTribeFan said:

Honestly, I think about 95% of the general population has absolutely no ear for music, so they just don't hear when people are off-key, or have an unattractive voice.  Unfortunatly, I do hear it.

OK.  Rant over! 😁

The absolute best pianist I ever heard on a HAL was while in port and the piano tuner was tuning.  He was super.  

• Haha 4

I attended an event with a HAL rep doing a presentation last night. It would seem the ships that have both pianos will keep them. I doubt that Zaandam and Volendam will have another piano added, Mix is too small for that.

I don't care if there is one or 2 players, I just want them to have talent. Reports are that the present Duo on Westerdam could perhaps use improvement.

She also mentioned that the European Itineraries will have classical music. In the presentation she didn't mention "Lincoln Center" by name but did infer that one of the reasons that "previous relationship" was terminated was because of the limited play list demanded by that organization. So stay tuned, it would seem Seattle is listening and clearly changes are on the way.

It was also clear that HAL will be favouring longer voyages and that the "Legendary and Grand" voyages will have perks not found on regular itineraries.

• Like 4

On 9/23/2024 at 6:15 PM, FlaMariner said:

Understood....

.....But we love Billboard Onboard!.....spend most evenings at the seats around the pianos....Fun times.......We are hooting and hollering when they play "the hits". LOL. And "All request" means we will hear American Pie and Sweet Caroline....And Her Majesty will request Wagon Wheel!

LOL.

That is our favorite entertainment venue on HAL, we would rather be there than the theater shows most nights. Really missed not having BOB on the Volendam last month. Instead, they had a horrible piano player/singer at the Mix bar. He was so bad hardly anyone would stay in the bar to listen to him.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, iflyrc5 said:

On the Volendam in July/Aug the single piano player/singer was not good at all.  Half way through our 24 days the venue was almost empty when he was playing.  

He must have been the same guy on our Volendam cruise last month, he was so bad people would get up and leave the Mix bar. We heard his contract was not going to be extended after our cruise ended. 

On 9/24/2024 at 5:21 PM, fusion927 said:

Some of the pianos are real.  On the Nieuw Statendam in April, the piano player was talking about how he had to adjust since a string broke!  And how quickly they drift out of tune.  

But I think I remember some electric pianos on other ships...

The use electric pianos on the World Stage during the show where the 2 billboard plays sing and play.

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

The use electric pianos on the World Stage during the show where the 2 billboard plays sing and play.

Yes, but (as of last May), they don't do that show anymore... Between going to one Billboard player and the removal of the Step 1 dancers, those shows are (or were) gone on the NS. 

The new production shows that replace Step 1 were pretty decent (except the last one wasn't ready yet so we didn't see it).