Solariums

Teslyn

On 9/23/2024 at 10:46 PM, Teslyn said:

I went on my first Royal cruise in May on Adventure of the Seas. I am now thinking about booking another one for next year. I want to do a bigger ship, one that has a nice solarium with plenty of seating and shady spots to sit.

So, which ship has your favorite solarium?

Without hesitation the Oasis class ships.  So much improved from the Adventure of the Seas.  We now only sail on Oasis class ships.  IMO Royal should retire the older ships as they do not compare to the Oasis class ships- not a fan of the the Quantum or Icon class ships.   

I love the Oasis Solarium as they opened up the front and you can actually bask in the sun.  So, in essence you can choose an inside and outside experience.  It was a wonderful view when Oasis sailed under the Verrazzano Bridge and seeing how close to bridge the ship came.

FYI, Utopia's is wonderfully designed.  It has a closed roof and at times it's freezing and others stuffy.  Crazy bubble-like shaped roof panels.  Also, on recent sail it was like a party boat with loud playing music.

9 hours ago, kimlet said:

My favorite has been the Odyssey which is similar to the Anthem. I've spent most of my time in that area both times I have been on that ship

I wish they kept indoor pool next…

• Like 1

19 hours ago, poocher said:

But, and maybe it’s just me, the roof just turns Harmony’s solarium into a sauna especially with no pool in which to cool off.  I actually really like the solarium on Explorer.  Plenty of breeze, a nice pool & a great bar!

Harmony does not have a solid roof, right? They only started adding solid roofs from Wonder

We gotta remember that solarium rating often depends on where a person saling in/from.

We in Northeast need a different solarium than many people sailing from Florida.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We gotta remember that solarium rating often depends on where a person saling in/from.

We in Northeast need a different solarium than many people sailing from Florida.

I personally want an enclosed Solarium (w/ AC) when sailing from Florida.  YMMV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Harmony does not have a solid roof, right? They only started adding solid roofs from Wonder

No it doesn’t but, again IMO, it blocks too much breeze.  It’s just too hot in there.

And I want to feel the ocean breeze.  I can sit in the AC anywhere.

Edited by poocher

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I personally want an enclosed Solarium (w/ AC) when sailing from Florida.  YMMV.

I understand. This is an additional wish, You can still sail without it.

During sailings in late September - October to Canada on Liberty Solarium is almost unusable unless you drink and jump into jacuzzi. 🙂 

Thats why when I read that someone prefers solarium on Liberty to … Quantum class… we need context.

6 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I understand. This is an additional wish, You can still sail without it.

During sailings in late September - October to Canada on Liberty Solarium is almost unusable unless you drink and jump into jacuzzi. 🙂 

Thats why when I read that someone prefers solarium on Liberty to … Quantum class… we need context.

Been there, done that ... sailed with you last September on Liberty.

IMO, the solariums on Voyager / Freedom class aren't solariums.  The designers should have read Webster's.  😄

According to Merriam-Webster, a solarium is a glass-enclosed room or porch that's designed to be very sunny. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Been there, done that ... sailed with you last September on Liberty.

IMO, the solariums on Voyager / Freedom class aren't solariums.  The designers should have read Webster's.  😄

According to Merriam-Webster, a solarium is a glass-enclosed room or porch that's designed to be very sunny. 

I completely forgot about this.

Where I grew up Solarium (it was called Solariy) wasn’t wasn’t even a space with a pool. It was a premise with glass ceiling. We lived in somewhat cold climate maybe a bit colder than New England. More continental. Solariums were places where even during winters people could get some sun as disease prevention.

Edited by Tatka