Self-Service Soda Fountain Refits

VibeGuy

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

not on Enchanted in June.

yep. None on Enchanted end of August.

But I liked the cans better and they are now no extra cost in the plus and premier package.

If you have a package your friend can order 4 cans at a time of whatever they want to wherever they want.
I ordered 4 colas and 4 ginger beers as well as 4 water bottles to my stateroom many evenings. Not all for me though! 😂 

11 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Have any of the other Royal-class ships besides Discovery received the medallion-controlled soda dispenser by the Wake View bar?  Asking for a friend who enjoys a Diet Coke more than he should. 

Wait. So you're saying Discovery DOES have a soda dispenser?

I hadn't heard that. When did that happen?

45 minutes ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Wait. So you're saying Discovery DOES have a soda dispenser?

I hadn't heard that. When did that happen?

about 18 months ago or so. 

Since launch there had been a fountain with like eight heads just doing chilled water, on the port side of the Wake View Bar seating area.   They configured the usual bar gun sodas and added a Medallion reader that turns on the soda heads for like 30 seconds of dispense and treats it as a fountain soda purchase, which also works with the various packages and bundles. 

When the bar is busy, it’s really convenient. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

about 18 months ago or so. 

Since launch there had been a fountain with like eight heads just doing chilled water, on the port side of the Wake View Bar seating area.   They configured the usual bar gun sodas and added a Medallion reader that turns on the soda heads for like 30 seconds of dispense and treats it as a fountain soda purchase, which also works with the various packages and bundles. 

When the bar is busy, it’s really convenient. 

Huh! That's a new one on me.  Interesting!

On 9/24/2024 at 3:12 PM, startedwithamouse said:

If they get them, expect the soda package to be doubled in price. 

It shouldn't be. A 16 oz cup of soda only has about 25 cents worth of ingredients (and I think that might include the bottle/can). Most of the expense of a soda is the labor of getting a glass and pouring it.

Not to say Princess won't do this, just that they shouldn't because a soda fountain might even save them money.

1 hour ago, MacMadame said:

It shouldn't be. A 16 oz cup of soda only has about 25 cents worth of ingredients (and I think that might include the bottle/can). Most of the expense of a soda is the labor of getting a glass and pouring it.

Not to say Princess won't do this, just that they shouldn't because a soda fountain might even save them money.

And the upkeep of the machine. 

1 minute ago, MacMadame said:

It's still not much. It is well known that soda fountains cost companies less than serving soda individually. That's why so many fast-food places use them.

But they're not fountains. It's the freestyle machine. You'd need to have a crew member trained on it's internal operation and upkeep and continually replace cartridges. They also need to stock these unique cartridges. Fast food places and cruise ships have two very different types of employees. You also need a pretty large footprint to place it.

On 9/24/2024 at 1:56 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Wish they'd put the self serve in more areas. Let the countdown commence! Tick-tock!  Very convenient if you don't want to order on the app or wait at a bar.

Not me.  Those machines get mold so frequently because they are never cleaned out properly.  I wouldnt touch one with a ten foot pole.  Google it.

Edited by stoneharborlady

15 minutes ago, stoneharborlady said:

Not me.  Those machines get mold so frequently because they are never cleaned out properly.  I wouldnt touch one with a ten foot pole.  Google it.

On cruise ships? You've seen their cleaning procedures?

Edited by startedwithamouse

3 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

But they're not fountains. It's the freestyle machine. You'd need to have a crew member trained on it's internal operation and upkeep and continually replace cartridges. They also need to stock these unique cartridges. Fast food places and cruise ships have two very different types of employees. You also need a pretty large footprint to place it.

Royal Caribbean has the freestyle machines. 

• Like 1

The one on Discovery is not Freestyle.  

It’s one of these plus a little black box to read the Medallion.  Standard 5:1 postmix heads

IMG_3235.thumb.webp.fe7483754335c89afb15cbb6b3d6229e.webp

I have taken a look at the Vessel Sanitation Program reports and haven’t found any points against Freestyle machines.   I do remember when the Vitality juice machines were a huge source of defects. 

• Like 1