How soon after booking before your cruise becomes real?

azappraiser

We hadn't been on a cruise since we sailed the POA in 2014, so last summer (2023), we decided to lay down a deposit for an Alaskan cruise in May 2025.  We had sailed the same itinerary on the Pearl in 2011.

At the time, most of our friends thought we were nuts for booking that far in advance.  But we wanted a particular cabin, of which there are only six, so we booked 22 months in advance.  We had sailed the same itinerary

But today, 235 days out, I was able to book our airfare... today, the cruise has become more of a reality.

While I was at it, I booked shuttles for SEATAC to our hotel, hotel to the pier, and the pier back to SEATAC.  I also prepaid our gratuities & upgraded to FAS+.

We're also flying in 2-days before embarkation, giving ourselves a day to kill. So, for DW, I found & booked a Bainbridge Island Winery Tour.  They'll pick us up in the morning, ferry over to Bainbridge Island, visit some wineries & enjoy some tastings.

My cruise became real today, Sept 25th, 2024, at 235 days to departure.  When does yours become real?

Edited by azappraiser
added missing word in title
  • Like 1

• azappraiser changed the title to How soon after booking before your cruise becomes real?
4 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@azappraiser

It becomes real when I have paid the full fare.

It becomes really real when i am walking across the land bridge on to the actual ship!!!

VBG

We're sitting on the balance ourselves until it's due, so in my eyes, its already paid for... except for actually handing the $$ over.

Agree with the land bridge.

When we do the final payment and I have learned not to book anything until then I have  had 4 cruises cancelled or major changes in the last 3 years.   We decided to skip cruising for a bit and and we booked a great deal on a land tour to Turkey which we will probably wind up cancelling!

There are several moments.  Usually when we do the on-line check-in, it starts to feel pretty real.  Oh, and when we pack.  On the way to the airport. In the car, on the way to the port (particularly if it is a new port for us).  And finally, of course, once we cross the threshold and onto the gangway.  Then it's really real.

• Haha 1

Final payment for sure.  The farthest I ever booked out was about a year this past June, I booked a cruise for next June.  Never even thought of doing that before but life has throw me some changes so I said why not leave something nice out there on the horizon.  It sails from a local port so air/hotel is of no concern. But I don’t intend to make final payment until it is just about due in case any major life changes happen in the meantime.  And I won’t buy the extras until much much closer to sailing. So while I am very excited about it, it is not really real until final payment for me.   Got my xmas/NYE cruise coming up and that is so real I wish I could fast forward to it!!!

Once the final payment date is passed.  Even if we paid 6 months before, once that date has passed, you are kind of tied to it lol.. 

Then when we make dining reservations, which is also about the time of final payment lol. 

Once you do online check in NOW it's REALLY getting real.. 

Then finally, once you walk from the terminal walkway onto the ship.. 

Final payment is kind of a milestone.  But, it's all just waiting for travel day and embarkation until then.  

I plan.  I may start a live thread here.  But, until my uber, Lyft, taxi, shuttle gets close enough for me to see my ship, I know my cruise is about to get started.  Until then, it's all just a waiting game for me.

When in Bainbridge, if the timing is right, make a point to go to the Bledsoe Nature reserve

( I think that is the name).  I haven't seen it yet ( Im never there until June),but I hear when the Tulips are in bloom, it is just amazing.  You will get spectacular views of Seattle when on the ferry.  Best pictures you will ever take of the city.  If you like Naval History, the other ferry to Bremerton is a nice trip as well.

On 9/25/2024 at 5:49 PM, azappraiser said:

We hadn't been on a cruise since we sailed the POA in 2014, so last summer (2023), we decided to lay down a deposit for an Alaskan cruise in May 2025.  We had sailed the same itinerary on the Pearl in 2011.

At the time, most of our friends thought we were nuts for booking that far in advance.  But we wanted a particular cabin, of which there are only six, so we booked 22 months in advance.  We had sailed the same itinerary

But today, 235 days out, I was able to book our airfare... today, the cruise has become more of a reality.

While I was at it, I booked shuttles for SEATAC to our hotel, hotel to the pier, and the pier back to SEATAC.  I also prepaid our gratuities & upgraded to FAS+.

We're also flying in 2-days before embarkation, giving ourselves a day to kill. So, for DW, I found & booked a Bainbridge Island Winery Tour.  They'll pick us up in the morning, ferry over to Bainbridge Island, visit some wineries & enjoy some tastings.

My cruise became real today, Sept 25th, 2024, at 235 days to departure.  When does yours become real?

I got on (at least one) a cruise with my brother and my sons. First time we did this we booked after final payment. We already have 2025 and 2026 with deposits. We text or talk about our cruises nearly daily. 

It is an obsession to be sure. We book our lodging and transportation the day the flights open and hotels and airbnb schedules become available. (We double check for other options regularly and we rebook if we need to.)

In other words, we count it down and enjoy as many of the days and moments we can from the day we put down a deposit until the day we pack. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2024 at 5:03 PM, 9tee2Sea said:

When in Bainbridge, if the timing is right, make a point to go to the Bledsoe Nature reserve

( I think that is the name).  I haven't seen it yet ( Im never there until June),but I hear when the Tulips are in bloom, it is just amazing.  You will get spectacular views of Seattle when on the ferry.  Best pictures you will ever take of the city.  If you like Naval History, the other ferry to Bremerton is a nice trip as well.

I appreciate the idea, however, we'll be on a tour with no more than six other "tourists", and we'll visit 3 to 4 wineries & tastings, as well as lunch at one of the local restaurants.  That tour is for DW, I'll be behind the lens.

Since we haven't taken the trip yet, I'll refrain from making any comments about the tour or the operator, other than I found them by searching for "How to kill a day in Seattle."

Full review coming after the cruise, as well as a post in the Cabin Info thread.