The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday September 26th, 2024

StLouisCruisers

25 minutes ago, ellbelle said:

Good morning from CA, it’s still summer here (90’s) but we’ll take it vs a hurricane. Thinking of all in the storms path and thinking of all on the care list. Food and beverage look good and haven’t been to today’s port. Some Greenland stops are on the 2026 VOV I believe, and we do have mosquito/fly net hat things we got for Iceland last summer but never needed to use them.

Today I’m helping our daughter get caught up with laundry, she brought over three bins full of clothes and towels and I’ll bring them to her in the morning and stay and help her deep clean the house. She works for the Superior Court and they are closed tomorrow for some reason, they seem to have a lot of holidays. Had a request from our granddaughter to make her lunch again today, I asked her why and she said it’s better than mommy and daddy make, lol. I made our daughters lunch most days through high school (and her BF at the time, and wait, I still make her lunch(!)), neither liked the offerings at the school and I was making ours anyway, what’s two more?

Our cemetary visit was successful yesterday and my arrangements look great, my mom would be happy I utilized her fall silk foliage. I was talking with the manager and she said the vases disappearing are an issue but they would replace whenever needed. As we were walking back to the car,  many cars were arriving for a service following three hearses, my heart was so heavy when we left, I don’t know the circumstances but can’t imagine what that family is going through.

@aliaschief Ran out of booze, time to leave 🤣. Is your timeshare the former Waiohai Hotel? I’ve only been to Kauai twice and that’s where we stayed, it’s been awhile though.

Yes It’s the Marriott Waiohai Beach Club. We have been deeded owners for 18 years. Great resort on the South shore of Kauai. Poipu Beach.

• Like 17

We’ve experienced a light rain today, but very little wind here in Panama City Beach.  Hopefully, being just outside the area under the hurricane warning and being to the west side of Helene will keep damage in this area to a minimum.  My brother-in-law and his wife decided to hunker down in their Tallahassee home.  With all the trees surrounding their home, I don’t think I would have made that decision.

The view from our balcony a few minutes ago.

IMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.afdb910b7158a28d7819d4827908e3b8.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

@kazuI feel so bad for you with all the issues you have endured recently.  You were so enjoying life last October with us on the Rotterdam VII's transatlantic from Amsterdam to Ft Lauderdale?   

Stay safe and out of the storm's path.

That was a good cruise with a wonderful roll call 🙂 

I was really looking forward to this one with some familiar faces and some I wanted to get to kno but life pulle it’s cruel turn and to go would be foolish and fool hardy - especially as a solo.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Those are the authorized uses in the U.S. Other uses are off-label. It's the 10th most prescribed drug in the U.S., so I think that there is quite a lot of off-label use. The original manufacturer got into a lot of trouble for illegally promoting other uses.

If DD DH were alive he could comment on this in Canada but alas he’s not.  I do know he used it for neuropathic pain in his pain management cases and my doctor said it has prov en effective.  if it’s not, we’ll try something else.

I need some sleep, badly.

6 hours ago, marshhawk said:

@kazuI am glad and amazed at your foot nurse moving mountains for you right now.  She is making it possible for you to skip the line, and I think even if you have to pay out of pocket, your health is so much more important. 

I lucked into her last year.  My podiatrist said my foot was fine and I knew with the pain it was not.  I remembered DD DH mentioning her (with respect) so I reached out.  She took me that very day when she heard what was going on and the foot that was not infected according to the podiatrist was badly infected.  She’s also the one who spotted the poor pulse in the foot and sent me running to my doctor for a referral to the surgeon (name provided), a catscan and several other things.

As soon as my doctor her her name, she ordered them right away.  She is really a caring practitioner  znc dd x go knows everyone in health. And. Xhd’x  b been beyond helpful and now that I have moved here, she comes to me for a very small charge.  

I am ever so grateful for her.  She has given me good guidance and is working to help to get me to a solution.  Not sure what I can do for her yet, but there will be something very nice done for her before Christmas.

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good rainy and humid morning.

I’m supposed to pick up my new prescription this afternoon. The pharmacy called yesterday and said that they had to order it .

@kazuJacqui, I’m also taking Gabapentin at night and all it does is make

my sleep and gives me strange dreams. I don’t take it during the day, it makes me sleepy.

Thanks.  I’m nervous to take it during the day as I need my wits about me.  I’m trying to get stuff done and being stupid will muck it up.

I’m going to take a dose early tonight and another at bedtime and see if that helps, I think.  No harm in trying.

Guess I better not take the first one until I interview the alternate dog walkers.tonight.  Hopefully all goes well and they can take care of his walks while my other one is away (again).

OOtherwise, eh will end up with scooter walks.  (Driven around on a scooter).  Believe it or not, he went with the flow.

My little walks in the morning could barely be called a walk.  It’s a hobble until he does his business and a bigger hobble back.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 12

1 hour ago, Mtn2Sea said:

We’ve experienced a light rain today, but very little wind here in Panama City Beach.  Hopefully, being just outside the area under the hurricane warning and being to the west side of Helene will keep damage in this area to a minimum.  My brother-in-law and his wife decided to hunker down in their Tallahassee home.  With all the trees surrounding their home, I don’t think I would have made that decision.

The view from our balcony a few minutes ago.

IMG_6480.thumb.jpeg.afdb910b7158a28d7819d4827908e3b8.jpeg

Wow you have a lot of faith in the forecasters!  I don’t think I’d stay…. 

m—

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@StLouisCruisers Checking the cruise mapper it shows the Eurodam going down the inside passage (west side) of Vancouver Island and they definitely skipped Ketchikan! 

Karen

I've been watching Eurodam today too Karen and saw they were definitely on a mission to go south and not stop in Ketchikan.  I wish someone on the Eurodam was reporting live from the ship and could tell us why.  Just too nosy I guess!  They aren't scheduled to be in Victoria until 8 p.m. Friday night.  I wonder what their new schedule is?  

Radiance of the Seas is hot on the heels of Eurodam in sailing through the Inside Passage.  ROTS is expected in Vancouver at 7 a.m. tomorrow.  Maybe the lucky folks on Eurodam will have a full day in Victoria!

• Like 14

Good afternoon.  It is about 83F and windy.  This will be short and hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow.  I did something I never do and took a short nap today.  I managed to make it to my hair appointment, but that is it for today.

I seriously doubt we'll have an update from Roy's nephew today.  He emailed about mid morning that he was at the airport, but his flight was delayed.  He should arrive in Baltimore tonight and will see Roy tomorrow.

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from St Petersburg where we have had a mostly sunny morning.  I got my walk in at 7:30 and enjoyed the breeze.  It is 85F now, but clouds are moving in.  Our condo is on the third floor in a non-evacuation zone, so we are quite comfortable even with a storm surge coming later.

@JazzyVHurray, your cruise is on!

@StLouisCruisersThanks for posting our daily start page and following it with updates.  I try to look at that everyday even if I don't get to all the others. Good luck with the storm up there in Georgia.

@Sir PMPI appreciate your map with the port/location of the day along with pics.

@Quartzsite CruiserYour posts are also a delight.  Were you ever a meteorologist? Your weather report is always so complete.  The Rotterdam VI was a personal favorite of mine.  In 2003, it was only 5 years old and must have still been beautiful. Do you recall the itinerary for that cruise?  Was it the Voyage of the Vikings that year?  Did you get hit with a rogue wave near Iceland?

@kazuI feel so bad for you with all the issues you have endured recently.  You were so enjoying life last October with us on the Rotterdam VII's transatlantic from Amsterdam to Ft Lauderdale?   

Stay safe and out of the storm's path.

Thank you for your kind words about my "weather reports".  They are taken from the Weather Channel app, and I was not an meteorologist.  I do have the itinerary for the 2003 Rotterdam VI cruise.  It was not the VOV, but a precursor.  I'll see if I can get the itinerary in a form to post here tomorrow.

Right now, I'm going to see if I can get rid of this headache without taking anything until bedtime.

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

It's just raining away here.  The rain gauge is capturing lots of rain today since DH emptied it at noon.  So far no thunderstorms.  I see lots of rain water in the retention pond next to the golf course.  I'm sure glad that retention pond is there.

I happened to walk into the master bathroom a short time ago and saw a young deer lying on the pine straw mulch next to Brenda's house next door.  He's just chewing on something and seems happy to be there.  Maybe the house is blocking wind-blown rain.  Seems happy as a clam there!

• Like 20

19 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've been watching Eurodam today too Karen and saw they were definitely on a mission to go south and not stop in Ketchikan.  I wish someone on the Eurodam was reporting live from the ship and could tell us why.  Just too nosy I guess!  They aren't scheduled to be in Victoria until 8 p.m. Friday night.  I wonder what their new schedule is?  

Radiance of the Seas is hot on the heels of Eurodam in sailing through the Inside Passage.  ROTS is expected in Vancouver at 7 a.m. tomorrow.  Maybe the lucky folks on Eurodam will have a full day in Victoria!

Sandi, I just sent an email to our buddy Bobby asking about the change.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sandi, I just sent an email to our buddy Bobby asking about the change.

Thanks Joy.  It will be interesting to see what the cause of an itinerary change is.  I thought 3 HAL ships in Ketchikan was a lot.  Maybe that was the problem - too many ships.  Seems like they'd know that ahead of time though.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser,   I sent one some time today but somehow at times email is very slow.

I see Keith tomorrow.

Roy

Roy, DH saw the email a few hours ago, but I'm just now feeling like posting it.  For some reason, we did not any email after I received Amanda's yesterday until some time late morning.  I saw your nephews email, but yours hadn't come in at that time.  I'm glad Amanda made home safely.

Here is what Roy sent me this morning.

I slept surprisingly well and my roommate is in the process of leaving as I write.  Amanda got home about 9:30 last 

night.

Feeling a bit weaker but pooped a lot overnight.

That’s about all.

Roy Ferguson

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 14

@Mtn2Sea you have a beautiful view! I'm glad the hurricane isn't headed towards you - given the projected path I probably would have stayed put as well. 

@kazu Jacqui - any thought of repeating that Rotterdam VII transatlantic in 2026? I'll look back to find your roll call and read up, but I would love meeting you onboard a HAL ship (I'm booked in Oct 2026). Thank goodness for your foot nurse - she sounds wonderful!

We're still waiting for Helene here - the waiting is the hardest part, and having been through Ian (long distance, I was in Gainesville at the time) I feel for all the people who evacuated from the coast, now waiting for the giant storm surge to hit their (hopefully empty) homes in the next few hours. Here in Gainesville we had a brief shower late this morning, then cloudy (but rain free) skies all afternoon. We're under a tornado watch until morning, and I think I hear some rain on the roof finally. 

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

@kazu Jacqui - any thought of repeating that Rotterdam VII transatlantic in 2026? I'll look back to find your roll call and read up, but I would love meeting you onboard a HAL ship (I'm booked in Oct 2026). Thank goodness for your foot nurse - she sounds wonderful!

Thanks - I haven’t even looked at 2026.  I have two cruises booked in 2025 (you should join us -  both good itineraries and the roll call on the November 2nd one should be a good one, for sure. L) 

This whole scenario put me off any more planning  but Ishould be better (how many times have I heard that?) and plan.  Maybe when I am feeling sad while my sailing is going would be a good time LOL.

Yes, I am blessed with Julia.  She has been a life saver.  If I still had Jose he would have been on top of it and clued in fast but  I don’t so things were stumbling until I met her.

I hope you can remain safe and unscathed with this awful hurricane.  

Prayers for you and all in it’s path.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

WE have had an interesting weather report-

@StLouisCruisers are you in a county that will be hurricane or Tropical storm?

Yes, south of town will still be a hurricane, and east (where I live)and north of Atlanta will be a tropical storm.

Tonight should be interesting, and if I dont post tomorrow, you will know we lost power.  We have a ton of trees here.

Hugs to all

Annie

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks - I haven’t even looked at 2026.  I have two cruises booked in 2025 (you should join us -  both good itineraries and the roll call on the November 2nd one should be a good one, for sure. L) 

I have three booked in 2025, and multiple Disney trips, AND I still work.  I am the queen of stretching vacation time 😉  If I was retired, I'd be asking for your cruise dates! There's no better way to spend time than on a BHB.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Good evening, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Forget Me Not day is a day to remember and respect those living with dementia and those who have lost their lives to this awful disease.  I'd love for the world to be rid of nuclear weapons, but that's not going to happen any time soon.  Yay for Johnny Appleseed.  Good quote.

I'm seriously late to the party today, it's been a strange one for sure.  DH hasn't slept well for the past 3 nights because of his cold, and this morning (after spending most of the night in the recliner) said he just felt tired.  Well I got tired of pussyfooting around his illness and said - in a rather loud and authoritative voice - that if he was tired, he should get into bed, shut the damn tv off and go to sleep.  And if he didn't, I was going to call 911 and have him taken to the hospital.  I can be a real beotch when I need to.  He slept about 3 hours, waking around 1:30, and in order to have him undisturbed (he sleeps so lightly that he could hear a mouse hiccup in the basement), I sat in the living room drinking tea, reading a book and working on another blanket.  We had lunch, he had another nap, and then he had to be ready for an ultrasound because his PSA levels were high and now the PCP is trying to rule out prostate cancer.  Tomorrow he's having a CT scan to help with the diagnosis as well. Sigh.  It's always something, isn't it? 

@kazuI really hope the gabapentin works for you - the thought of constant neuropathic pain is quite disturbing, I don't know how you're coping with it.  Hopefully the interview with the new dog walker works out well for you and Ivan.

@Vict0riannsending more good vibes Pat's way so the electrical part of his heart continues working well - don't despair though, DH had a pacemaker installed in September and is doing great.  Recovery from that isn't bad at all, he says.

On the way home from the ultrasound, DH decided he wanted a burger so we stopped into the golden arches near the clinic and he had a cheeseburger while I had a chickenburger.  And fries.  No wine.  LOL   I have to finish off the blanket, so may just pour myself a glass to help with the process.

Prayers for everyone in Helene's path, I hope you stay safe, and if you've had to evacuate, that your property is saved.  Cheers to all with happy events today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 6

Good evening,

This will be short and sweet.  So far we are okay.  We have electricity and TV.  Internet is sporadic.  I thought i was going to get some financial work done today, but that was not to be.  All I did was try to keep the internet on.  Very frustrating.

We are fine and I will check in when I can.

Hope everyone stays safe in the path of Helene.  She is dangerous.

I am looking at you Sandi @StLouisCruisers, and Annie @marshhawk and Bruce @aliaschief, even though you are not home and @seagarsmoker.

Please stay safe and check in when you can.

We had a tornado touch down in our town today.  

Bug man says he is coming tomorrow, rain or shine.  We shall see.

Stay safe everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Gabapentin is primarily used to treat Epilepsy here in the UK and sometimes nerve pain.

Neurologist prescribed it "off label" for Essential Tremors. It made me very very tired, gave me brain fog and did nothing for the tremors.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good evening,

This will be short and sweet.  So far we are okay.  We have electricity and TV.  Internet is sporadic.  I thought i was going to get some financial work done today, but that was not to be.  All I did was try to keep the internet on.  Very frustrating.

We are fine and I will check in when I can.

Hope everyone stays safe in the path of Helene.  She is dangerous.

I am looking at you Sandi @StLouisCruisers, and Annie @marshhawk and Bruce @aliaschief, even though you are not home and @seagarsmoker.

Please stay safe and check in when you can.

We had a tornado touch down in our town today.  

Bug man says he is coming tomorrow, rain or shine.  We shall see.

Stay safe everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

Bruce is sitting on our lanai drinking a margarita watching surfers riding some huge waves, eating our last batch of nachos. Had to go to Honu Bar to get our drinks. Loving our last day but feeling guilty of the horror that some of our fellow Floridians and folks beyond will incur tonight.🙏

Reports from home just rainy at times. I believe we were over here when Ivan hit, With power out our neighbors raided our freezer and had a big feast on us. 

May God be with those in harms way. B.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Annie @marshhawk our county is Hurricane warning.  Winds could be category 1 hurricane when it reaches this county.  If power is still on and internet still working I will post early.  If I don't post by 6:30 I have backup.  I'll do my best!  Just look down the list a ways in case I do get up hours early and post the Daily.  

We had 7 inches of rain since yesterday at 3 p.m. when DH checked tonight at 6 p.m.  It's been raining hard ever since so will have to wait until tomorrow for a total.  Stay safe everyone especially Annie north of us in Stone Mountain.  Off now to try to get some sleep before things get to blowing around here!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce is sitting on our lanai drinking a margarita watching surfers riding some huge waves, eating our last batch of nachos. Had to go to Honu Bar to get our drinks. Loving our last day but feeling guilty of the horror that some of our fellow Floridians and folks beyond will incur tonight.🙏

Reports from home just rainy at times.

May God be with those in harms way. B.

Enjoy the last few days and hope all is well at home.

Terri

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for updating us Roy.  I am happy to read your DN will be there tomorrow morning.  Thanks for sharing Roy's emails Lenda.  

Jacqui I hope your new dog walker will work out and you can get some relief from your leg pain.  

DB had a bad day today.  His knee looks worse and DSIL says it looks more swollen.  He became lightheaded and dizzy during OT and then again this evening.  Thankfully his son was there.  There is no way he can do rehab while he is ill.  No PA or doctor on campus at all today.  I can't visit tomorrow because of truck recall and ADT afternoon visit.   Truly heartbreaking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8