My review of Seabourn Quest

ak1004

My review of Seabourn Quest - https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=720514

First time on SB, and we were really impressed. 2 days after we returned we already booked another one.

One thing I forgot to mention in the review was the cruise director Aimee Lake. A really talented lady, who is also a great performer. She had her own show one of the evenings, and it was the best show of the whole cruise. 

Two small negatives which I'm sure are well known to SB regulars: the shower is a bit small, especially considering the suite size, and the dining options are a bit limited compared to O and SS. But the food quality is very good, and the lunch buffet was probably the best we had on any ship. 

Any questions, please ask. I will be more than happy to answer while the experience is still fresh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the great review. Having shared the E&O dinner with you and Mrs AK1004, I agree that "just o.k." is a fair description. We think the food that night was way below the normal standard at E&O. However, it was the only major negative we found on this cruise. Even the missing early riser breakfast, which I used extentively previously didn't bother me, because coffee/tea is available at the Square starting at 6:15. Overall, even with some noticeable cut backs, there were major improvements and more efficient use of staffs that made this cruise the best SB cruise we had been on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CalmSea said:

Thanks for the great review. Having shared the E&O dinner with you and Mrs AK1004, I agree that "just o.k." is a fair description. We think the food that night was way below the normal standard at E&O. However, it was the only major negative we found on this cruise. Even the missing early riser breakfast, which I used extentively previously didn't bother me, because coffee/tea is available at the Square starting at 6:15. Overall, even with some noticeable cut backs, there were major improvements and more efficient use of staffs that made this cruise the best SB cruise we had been on.

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad to see that you saw some improvements in staff efficiency. 

Were they able to provide quick service at the Seabourn Square for morning coffee?  I'm hoping not to stand there in line for 15 minutes.  To be honest I will be bringing a large insulated mug and asking them to fill it with half-caf regular coffee then taking it up to the Observation Lounge which should now be even more peaceful in the morning :-).

52 minutes ago, stan01 said:

Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad to see that you saw some improvements in staff efficiency. 

Were they able to provide quick service at the Seabourn Square for morning coffee?  I'm hoping not to stand there in line for 15 minutes.  To be honest I will be bringing a large insulated mug and asking them to fill it with half-caf regular coffee then taking it up to the Observation Lounge which should now be even more peaceful in the morning :-).

If it's not a complicated order, and you don't mind their cup, you can order in advance on the app. Though you could order 2 or 3 to fill your large mug.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

If it's not a complicated order, and you don't mind their cup, you can order in advance on the app. Though you could order 2 or 3 to fill your large mug.

Great, when we were on Quest in November 2023 the app did not allow ordering coffee, so that new feature (if it is always enabled) does help make up for the loss of the service in the Observation Lounge.  Just a little farther to walk in the morning for us.

2 hours ago, CalmSea said:

It was great meeting it!

Maybe we were just unlucky with E&O, I hear good reviews overall about it. 

1 hour ago, stan01 said:

Emin, the barista, is quite efficient. At 6:15, there may be a small line-up of 2 or 3. Around 6:30, it is usually free. There is also self-service coffee at the Square starting aroung 6:15, but no self-service tea. The Obervation Lounge was completely empty on the only occasion that I went there at 6:00, expecting to get my morning coffee and found out that things had changed.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, CalmSea said:

Emin, the barista, is quite efficient. At 6:15, there may be a small line-up of 2 or 3. Around 6:30, it is usually free. There is also self-service coffee at the Square starting aroung 6:15, but no self-service tea. The Obervation Lounge was completely empty on the only occasion that I went there at 6:00, expecting to get my morning coffee and found out that things had changed.

Ah, nice to know they do have the self-service coffee set up at Seabourn Square now.  Thanks for the update.

On related note, can someone who sailed on SB, Crystal and Explora comment how they compare? Seems like SB prices are significantly lower, trying to understand why.

AK1004, I am really happy to hear this positive outcome for your first SB cruise. We’ve interacted a few times in the past on CC, and I know you weren’t sure what to expect. We really enjoyed our sailing on Quest last year, and look forward to Ovation next year. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

On related note, can someone who sailed on SB, Crystal and Explora comment how they compare? Seems like SB prices are significantly lower, trying to understand why.

I know you sailed once or twice on the old crystal based on your previous posts.  I sailed many times on the old crystal, exclusively for 19 years.  I have not been on the new crystal yet but have many close friends that have and follow the crystal cc board and other social media sites.  Overall consensus is that crystal currently is as good as before and in some instances even better.  You really need to compare suite sizes as they aren’t apples to apples with seabourn.  In regards to pricing, you need to compare the aquamarine suites, formally PH category, to the standard seabourn suites,  overall, I find crystals pricing higher.  I’m sure there are a few instances of lower per diems but few and far.  You cannot compare the crystal small verandah cabins due to size.  Plus, these cabins were redesigned in the early 2023 dry dock and the closet and storage space is significantly less than before.  We loved crystal and if we find an itinerary in 2026 that we really like and it fits our timing parameters, we will most likely book it.  For now, seabourn works for us and their itineraries are more appealing. 

while I haven’t sailed explora, I have good friends that have, crystal is their primary line.  I suggest you read the explora CC board.  I hear the ships are beautiful and have lovely suites plus the food is excellent.  There have been many itinerary changes since the lines inception and the ships are focusing on the Caribbean and the Med with mostly 7 day itineraries.  Explora markets itself as a floating luxury hotel which is different than the other lux cruise lines,  I suggest you do a bit of research…it might work for you.

Hopefully others who have sailed all 3 lines will chime in.

Nancy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I can compare to EJ, since we spent 18 days on EJ1 (Sept-Oct 2023) and routinely cruise on SB (most recently last month on the Encore).  Pricing is all over the place (on both lines) depending on the suite category, voyage, etc.  We have cruised on SB for very decent pricing and also cruised on SB for much higher prices.  As to EJ, our only cruise was slightly more expensive than we would normally pay for SB.

One big difference, between the lines, are the size of the ships.  The EJ ships are about 900 passengers vs SB where the largest ships are 600 and others 450 (less for the expedition ships).  The EJ1 has been, described by me, as "drop dead gorgeous."  It is obvious that the Aponte family spared no expensive when they hired interior designers and purchased furniture.  That being said, gorgeous may not always be practical such as the many low seats (on EJ1) which look nice, are comfy, but difficult to exit.

We think that entertainment on SB has been superior to what we experienced on EJ.  And since we were on the EJ cruise that ended in NYC for their naming ceremony, the line had pulled out all the stops to please the many VIPs (and travel professionals) who were aboard and yet, SB shows are still better.  

The food on EJ is superior to the best of SB in many ways.  EJ does not have any main dining room, but rather has 4 main restaurants (2 of which require reservations) and an impressive lido buffet.  While the food in their buffet was somewhat better (in terms of both quality and variety) then on SB, we missed the table service that is part of the Colonnade.

We did notice a major difference in terms of the crew.  The SB crew is 2nd to none, and most SB staff do not have the word "No" in their vocabulary.  On EJ, there is a snooty attitude problem among some of the staff (especially in Guest Relations and at the Lido).  Since nearly 80% of the staff on EJ1 were on their first contract and sea voyage (many had been hired from top resorts in Dubai and other middle eastern cities) they were simply reflecting the top down attitude of "we are not a cruise ship...but a floating resort" and we have our own language (i.e. a Cruise Director is NOT a cruise director but an "Experience Manager").  

We have not booked any future EJ cruises, but this is primarily because we are not impressed with their shorter itineraries (the line is targeting younger affluent cruisers who have limited time to take a cruise).

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nancygp said:

I know you sailed once or twice on the old crystal based on your previous posts.  I sailed many times on the old crystal, exclusively for 19 years.  I have not been on the new crystal yet but have many close friends that have and follow the crystal cc board and other social media sites.  Overall consensus is that crystal currently is as good as before and in some instances even better.  You really need to compare suite sizes as they aren’t apples to apples with seabourn.  In regards to pricing, you need to compare the aquamarine suites, formally PH category, to the standard seabourn suites,  overall, I find crystals pricing higher.  I’m sure there are a few instances of lower per diems but few and far.  You cannot compare the crystal small verandah cabins due to size.  Plus, these cabins were redesigned in the early 2023 dry dock and the closet and storage space is significantly less than before.  We loved crystal and if we find an itinerary in 2026 that we really like and it fits our timing parameters, we will most likely book it.  For now, seabourn works for us and their itineraries are more appealing. 

while I haven’t sailed explora, I have good friends that have, crystal is their primary line.  I suggest you read the explora CC board.  I hear the ships are beautiful and have lovely suites plus the food is excellent.  There have been many itinerary changes since the lines inception and the ships are focusing on the Caribbean and the Med with mostly 7 day itineraries.  Explora markets itself as a floating luxury hotel which is different than the other lux cruise lines,  I suggest you do a bit of research…it might work for you.

Hopefully others who have sailed all 3 lines will chime in.

Nancy

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I can compare to EJ, since we spent 18 days on EJ1 (Sept-Oct 2023) and routinely cruise on SB (most recently last month on the Encore).  Pricing is all over the place (on both lines) depending on the suite category, voyage, etc.  We have cruised on SB for very decent pricing and also cruised on SB for much higher prices.  As to EJ, our only cruise was slightly more expensive than we would normally pay for SB.

One big difference, between the lines, are the size of the ships.  The EJ ships are about 900 passengers vs SB where the largest ships are 600 and others 450 (less for the expedition ships).  The EJ1 has been, described by me, as "drop dead gorgeous."  It is obvious that the Aponte family spared no expensive when they hired interior designers and purchased furniture.  That being said, gorgeous may not always be practical such as the many low seats (on EJ1) which look nice, are comfy, but difficult to exit.

We think that entertainment on SB has been superior to what we experienced on EJ.  And since we were on the EJ cruise that ended in NYC for their naming ceremony, the line had pulled out all the stops to please the many VIPs (and travel professionals) who were aboard and yet, SB shows are still better.  

The food on EJ is superior to the best of SB in many ways.  EJ does not have any main dining room, but rather has 4 main restaurants (2 of which require reservations) and an impressive lido buffet.  While the food in their buffet was somewhat better (in terms of both quality and variety) then on SB, we missed the table service that is part of the Colonnade.

We did notice a major difference in terms of the crew.  The SB crew is 2nd to none, and most SB staff do not have the word "No" in their vocabulary.  On EJ, there is a snooty attitude problem among some of the staff (especially in Guest Relations and at the Lido).  Since nearly 80% of the staff on EJ1 were on their first contract and sea voyage (many had been hired from top resorts in Dubai and other middle eastern cities) they were simply reflecting the top down attitude of "we are not a cruise ship...but a floating resort" and we have our own language (i.e. a Cruise Director is NOT a cruise director but an "Experience Manager").  

We have not booked any future EJ cruises, but this is primarily because we are not impressed with their shorter itineraries (the line is targeting younger affluent cruisers who have limited time to take a cruise).

Hank

Nancy, Hank, thank you very much for your comments, much appreciated!

We sailed on Crystal in 2019 and SB now, and found them comparable overall. Loved both. Service comparable, cabins much better on SB, food slightly better on C, entertainment very good on both. Nancy, you are absolutely right about the cabin sizes! We are fine to sail in a 210 sqft cabin, but even those cabins are typically more expensive than SB entry level 295 cabins. When you compare aquamarine, the price difference becomes really extreme

While I can somehow justify paying more for EJ because of the new ships and better food, I have really hard time understanding Crystal pricing. I remember few months ago some reports indicated that the ships sail half empty, wondering if this is still the case?

Hank, I agree about the ship size, but it is double in size, crew numbers and guest numbers, so the rations are very similar when compared to the smaller SB ships.

I'm wondering what "we are not a cruise ship...but a floating resort".. isn't it kind of true for any cruise ship? What does it mean practically?

And I agree about itineraries.. SB wins big time. And this is the most important parameter to us. But even if we find a good itinerary on Crystal, I have a hard time to justify their current prices.

Edited by ak1004

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I have really hard time understanding Crystal pricing. I remember few months ago some reports indicated that the ships sail half empty, wondering if this is still the case?

Pricing on everything has gone up the last few years.  For the most past, we typically stayed in the standard verandah cabins and felt they were well priced up until Covid.  We would not do that anymore on the new crystal.  Yes, There were some itineraries, mostly on the symphony, that were half full.  Things have changed since that time and the ships are sailing at capacity or near capacity.  However, there are always the few outliers.  Also, the new crystal has a much lower capacity than the old crystal as many of the standard verandah cabins were eliminated during the dry dock/reimagine in order to add a significant number of aquamarine and sapphire cabins etc. this was done to be competitive suite-wise with the other lux lines.

We love seabourn and loved crystal.  While there are a few things we miss from crystal, there are a few things on seabourn that we like better.  Both are great lines for us. We feel so blessed to take wonderful cruise vacations.

good luck and glad you enjoyed seabourn as mulch as we have.

nancy

• Like 1