Please tell me about all of the changes on Royal Caribbean and new things I need to know...

cruzin'mama

We are diamond members but haven't cruised since 2013.  We are excited to get back to cruising and have booked a cruise on the Brilliance in October (and are looking at several other cruises for next year).  I was blown away at some of the changes like registering for a time to check in, reservations for dining, etc.  Unfortunately, I was later to the game than I would have liked to have been.  Any other changes or tips I need to know or that would be helpful for future cruises? Thank you.

You should know by now there is an app for your phone. That is needed to check in and get your set sail pass.   It also gives you a time to arrive at the terminal. That worked for a time after the restart, but doesn't appear to be the case at all.  I still get the email, the same as the pre Covid. We still ignore it.

Your actual card will be at your stateroom  door, you do not get it at checkin.

There is no muster drill, the muster information is part of the app. You need to see the info on the app, then find your muster station, and get checked in.

The people at your muster station will be helpful if you have a problem,

There is no diamond lounge, it is now called the crown lounge.  But there are 4 drinks per day loaded on your sea pass. Friendly bar waiters will help you.

The app on your phone works on the ships local intranet system, no paid internet required. 

And, at the end of the cruise, customs and immigration has been using a facial recognition system when debarking.

12 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

You should know by now there is an app for your phone. That is needed to check in and get your set sail pass.   It also gives you a time to arrive at the terminal. That worked for a time after the restart, but doesn't appear to be the case at all.  I still get the email, the same as the pre Covid. We still ignore it.

Your actual card will be at your stateroom  door, you do not get it at checkin.

There is no muster drill, the muster information is part of the app. You need to see the info on the app, then find your muster station, and get checked in.

The people at your muster station will be helpful if you have a problem,

There is no diamond lounge, it is now called the crown lounge.  But there are 4 drinks per day loaded on your sea pass. Friendly bar waiters will help you.

The app on your phone works on the ships local intranet system, no paid internet required. 

And, at the end of the cruise, customs and immigration has been using a facial recognition system when debarking.

The only thing I would change is the app isnt needed to check in and get a time. I have never used the app to check in or even to buy planner items. I use the website. I dont touch the app until I get onboard. I prefer the online site pre cruise.

OP now your cabin is only made up once a day. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The only thing I would change is the app isnt needed to check in and get a time. I have never used the app to check in or even to buy planner items. I use the website. I dont touch the app until I get onboard. I prefer the online site pre cruise.

OP now your cabin is only made up once a day. 

The last time I tried to do it online, it wouldn't let me. 

3 minutes ago, cruzin'mama said:

Thank you!  This is all very helpful.  What about entertainment such as the shows?  Do I need to prebook those as well?  I don't see anything on my app.

In general, some yes, some no. On Brilliance, my guess would be no. (could be wrong)

Usually it's the (main?) Aqua Theater show, the (main?) Ice Show, the broadway style shows in the main theater, and the comedians in the comedy venue, none of which would apply on Brilliance.

But also note that even with those that reservations will have a standby line that they seat from starting  10 minutes before the show.

And if I'm wrong, it could just be that it's too early. not sure when your cruise is.

1 hour ago, cruzin'mama said:

Thank you!  This is all very helpful.  What about entertainment such as the shows?  Do I need to prebook those as well?  I don't see anything on my app.

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

In general, some yes, some no. On Brilliance, my guess would be no. (could be wrong)

Correct, the Brilliance won't have entertainment reservations. You just show up. 🙂 

Pool towels have to be checked out.  There’s a $25 fee per towel if you do not return it. 

Dining has added my time.  It’s between early and late dinner. You can book a time ahead in the planner or on board.  The earliest is usually 6:45 pm. 

Food is subjective but in general the food has gone downhill.  You will not starve but don’t plan to be amazed either. 

Entertainment continues to be great! 

Brilliance is a great older ship. Enjoy!

17 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Food is subjective but in general the food has gone downhill.  You will not starve but don’t plan to be amazed either. 

Food has greatly improved since 2013. And you will enjoy your experience. 

21 hours ago, silentbob007 said:

Once a day housekeeping unless in a suite is a bummer IMO.

For us, once a day cleaning is a bonus. Normally, we are coming back from a busy day ashore. toss all of our stuff on the bed, and taking a quick shower before dinner. We used to have to "clean up" so the cabin steward could "fluff the pillows". Now we just leave the chaos in the room until we get back and get ready for bed. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

For us, once a day cleaning is a bonus. Normally, we are coming back from a busy day ashore. toss all of our stuff on the bed, and taking a quick shower before dinner. We used to have to "clean up" so the cabin steward could "fluff the pillows". Now we just leave the chaos in the room until we get back and get ready for bed. 

Of course you always had the option of having once per day service.

18 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Agreed. This has been one of my biggest complaints. 

How strict are they on boarding time?  I did not realize we had to schedule a time and was not able to secure a time until 1pm.  I've never boarded the ship that late. LOL. We are a little nervous about getting to the port in NOLA.  We've never sailed from this port and I've read conflicting messages about it being hectic and difficult to maneuver parking (we are driving to the port and I think planning to park at the Fulton garage).  We were thinking we would arrive early just in case it is hectic.  Will they let us board the ship early or will we have to wait until our time?