Can you "downgrade" rooms?

Hello. I'm considering changing our room from a suite-gty to an ocean view panoramic room on Voyager sailing January 2025. Final payment date is just around the corner. I was told by a rep at my TA that this isn't allowed, but I've also talked to an RC rep who said it was. Is it normal to get so much mixed information ?

Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, MrsD7881 said:

Hello. I'm considering changing our room from a suite-gty to an ocean view panoramic room on Voyager sailing January 2025. Final payment date is just around the corner. I was told by a rep at my TA that this isn't allowed, but I've also talked to an RC rep who said it was. Is it normal to get so much mixed information ?

Thanks!!

Nothing stops you from cancelling your reservation, paying the penalty if it exists, and rebook. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Nothing stops you from cancelling your reservation, paying the penalty if it exists, and rebook. 

They did say if it's after final payment date though I would only get credit, no refund

11 minutes ago, MrsD7881 said:

They did say if it's after final payment date though I would only get credit, no refund

That was bad info as well. You do get a pro-rated refund depending on when you cancel. 

1 minute ago, Ken at the beach said:

That would not matter as you can always switch from a group rate to a FIT rate at any time.  They also said they booked a suite guarantee and suites are not offered at group rates

So, does that mean I should be able to change and get the difference in obc, as the RC rep advises the rep from the TA I used? October 22 is the final payment date, and I'm paid in full. They told me to wait until Oct 23 then call and downgrade from the suite gty to the ocean view panoramic.

Just now, MrsD7881 said:

So, does that mean I should be able to change and get the difference in obc, as the RC rep advises the rep from the TA I used? October 22 is the final payment date, and I'm paid in full. They told me to wait until Oct 23 then call and downgrade from the suite gty to the ocean view panoramic.

No, you will not get the difference as OBC.

The price will simply be adjusted and you will pay the lower price.  In your case since you paid early your booking will be overpaid and you will get a refund for the difference.

Do not wait.  If you wait until after the final payment date then you are subject to penalties on the downgrade

31 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

Do not wait.  If you wait until after the final payment date then you are subject to penalties on the downgrade

I'm sorry for all the questions, but any idea how much are the penalties?  

I appreciate all the answers from everyone, I get more straight answers here than I do in 10 phone calls!

31 minutes ago, Ken at the beach said:

27 minutes ago, MrsD7881 said:

I'm sorry for all the questions, but any idea how much are the penalties?  

I appreciate all the answers from everyone, I get more straight answers here than I do in 10 phone calls!

Why would you wait until after final payment and pay the penalties?

After final payment you will follow the same cancellation schedule as listed on your invoice.  The penalty amounts are by % of the cruise fare and increase as you get closer to sailing

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrsD7881 said:

a rep at my TA

I’d call back.  You may get a different rep who understands that you are allowed to change to a less expensive cabin category before final payment.  If they resist, perhaps ask for a conference call with a RCI rep.

2 hours ago, Ken at the beach said:

Why would you wait until after final payment and pay the penalties?

After final payment you will follow the same cancellation schedule as listed on your invoice.  The penalty amounts are by % of the cruise fare and increase as you get closer to sailing

Not to mention that if you downgrade now and see a price drop at any time before sail date you can always upgrade and there are no penalties to deal with.

• Like 1

Of course you can change rooms -- up, down, or to another room in the same category!  Assuming, of course, that the category you want is available.  

I agree with the above poster, who says your TA probably doesn't want to see his commission go down for a lesser-priced room.  

The problem:  Since you're working with a TA, YOU cannot call and make the change.  The TA has to do it for you -- so you're kinda at his mercy.  If you're sure you want this change, I'd call and INSIST that the change be made.  

20 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Of course you can change rooms -- up, down, or to another room in the same category!  Assuming, of course, that the category you want is available.  

I agree with the above poster, who says your TA probably doesn't want to see his commission go down for a lesser-priced room.  

The problem:  Since you're working with a TA, YOU cannot call and make the change.  The TA has to do it for you -- so you're kinda at his mercy.  If you're sure you want this change, I'd call and INSIST that the change be made.  

Thank you so much, this is probably what I'll do!