New Port: NYC: Red Hook, Brooklyn

LauraS

The attached link will give you an idea how far the new supermarket is from the cruise terminal. Fairway Market is at Van Brunt St. past Reed St. The link is from A Visitor's Guide to Red Hook

http://www.portsidenewyork.org/Red%20Hook%20Guide%20050602.pdf

the second link is a piece about the water taxi from the Fairway website. The supermarket opened last week.

http://www.fairwaymarket.com//index.cfm?area=user-defined6

• 2 weeks later...

We're flying in (JFK) the evening before our Crown Princess cruise (leaving from Red Hook). Any suggestions for a nearby hotel? We're scheduled to arrive at 5:00 pm - any suggestions for our evening?

We're flying in (JFK) the evening before our Crown Princess cruise (leaving from Red Hook). Any suggestions for a nearby hotel? We're scheduled to arrive at 5:00 pm - any suggestions for our evening?

There are hotels by Kennedy which are ok but I would recommend the Brooklyn Marriott. Which is about 3 miles from the cruise terminal. Then walk over to Brooklyn Heights and walk along the Promenade that looks over to Manhattan- have dinner at a resturant on Montague Street( Ilike Teresa's-Polish Coooking at its finest...)...you are too late to mnake a play and this will at least give you a taste of NY. The following morning take a cab to the terminal(they stop in front to the hotel- should be under $10.00... a limo will cost you twice that or more)....

Oooppps, just checked the Brooklyn Marriott and it is full for Aug. 6th. Any other suggestions????? Thanks in advance!

Wow and it is expanding needs more rooms there are others under construction in the area but that doesn't help you.

The other choices are in the Wall Street Area but they are don't have decent resturants nearby...Their is a motel near the pier but esssentially you go there to be in a room for the night. You might as well go to priceline and bid a room in the wall street area....Any will be ok for one night....

There is a liquor store near the pier in the Pathmark shopping center right off Hamilton Avenue on the otherside of the draw bridge. go to Pathmark.com and get the directions to the Gowanus store in zip 11231. Its an ok liquor store. I assume you are not looking for goumet but reasoable wines. The other one in the area that has better wines is Heights Chateau on Atlantic Avenue between Clinton and Henry Streets. use mapquest for specific directions to that one...Is that enough?

Is that enough?

Actually, would you mind running in there and writing down their selection for Merlots and posting it?

I keed, I keed! :D

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

If you ever have any questions about Vegas, just let me know!

Actually, would you mind running in there and writing down their selection for Merlots and posting it?

I keed, I keed! :D

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for.

If you ever have any questions about Vegas, just let me know!

LOL I need the numbers to win a million or two... If you want upscale go to Heights Chateau...

It should be about $25.00 to the Marriott from Penn Station..(accross the brooklyn bridge)- no toll.

Back from the Pier about $30.00 through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel($4.00 toll).

Cabs aren't that expensive IMO...

How much luggage do you have? you can do it for $2.00 per person on the subway from Penn Station. Eight Avenue line either the C or A train to Jay Street- Back of the Train and upstairs to your left is the marriott--- or the seventh ave line expresses to Boro Hall and the Marriott is accross the street- sort of.

We are Taking the Crown Princess out of Red Hook on July 20th. What can we expect for a Taxi from Penn Station?

again should be about $30.00 toll and tip included may be a few dollars more. Again Down the west side highway to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel first exit Hamilton Avenue then two quicks lefts. 1/2 hour except during rush hour...

We are coming back from our cruise to Red Hook in Brooklyn. Does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost efficient way to get to JFK. There are 6 adults with luggage. Should we rent a limo or van to pick us up, or take our chances and look for transportation when we arrive?

We are coming back from our cruise to Red Hook in Brooklyn. Does anyone have any suggestions on the most cost efficient way to get to JFK. There are 6 adults with luggage. Should we rent a limo or van to pick us up, or take our chances and look for transportation when we arrive?

You need a van or strectched limo or two cars. The best if to make arrangements in advances. You would need three cabs...

We are on the same cruise, how will you be getting back to the airport when the ship returns?

We are Taking the Crown Princess out of Red Hook on July 20th. What can we expect for a Taxi from Penn Station?

Any suggestions on reliable limo companies in Brooklyn? And anyone know about how much a cab would be from Red Hook to JFK?

You need a van or strectched limo or two cars. The best if to make arrangements in advances. You would need three cabs...

Any suggestions on reliable limo companies in Brooklyn? And anyone know about how much a cab would be from Red Hook to JFK?

Cabs are about 40-60 per cab depending on which way you go.(the fixed rates for cabs in NYC is only from Kennedy to Manhattan and Newark to anywhere)...

try carmel in NYC or Promenade Car Service or arecibo both in Brooklyn tell them you need it for 6 peeople with luggage from the Red hook terminal to Kennedy...

I am cruising from the Red Hook Port in July and am planning on spending a couple of days in New York City before the cruise. I have contacted the hotel and they are unsure if they will be able to accommodate my vehicle in their underground parking garage. (I have a full size four-wheel drive pick-up.) I was wondering if I could park my truck at the port two days before the departure date. I have emailed this question to the Port with no answer as of yet. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I am cruising from the Red Hook Port in July and am planning on spending a couple of days in New York City before the cruise. I have contacted the hotel and they are unsure if they will be able to accommodate my vehicle in their underground parking garage. (I have a full size four-wheel drive pick-up.) I was wondering if I could park my truck at the port two days before the departure date. I have emailed this question to the Port with no answer as of yet. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Generally unless there is a ship there, the lot is closed and only a guard is on who doesn't allow parkers. There are a couple of open lots a couple of blocks south of the Hotel where you can park if necessary...

One of our party has an emergancy meeting in Wall street on Friday the day of the cruise. Though he should be staying until 5, the ship LEAVES at 5!! We will have his luggage with us. How late should he run out of the meeting, catch a cab from Wall St to Red Hook and still make the ship on time??? Will the cab drivers know where he needs to go? He is unfamiliar with Brooklyn. Thank you for any help that I can relay

One of our party has an emergancy meeting in Wall street on Friday the day of the cruise. Though he should be staying until 5, the ship LEAVES at 5!! We will have his luggage with us. How late should he run out of the meeting, catch a cab from Wall St to Red Hook and still make the ship on time??? Will the cab drivers know where he needs to go? He is unfamiliar with Brooklyn. Thank you for any help that I can relay

You need to on the ship at least an hour before. 4 pm is when the cabs shift changes. If he has an emergency meeting on wall street have him use a limo that the company he is at knows. Leave no later than 3:15(in the car and moving)... tell them to take the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel and take the first Hamilton Street exit. Make two immediate lefts(and make sure you don't get back on to the tunnel) then go straight until the light a left at the light and then a right into the cruise terminal.. while the cabs may not and the driver may know it have the directions with you.

Thank you! Though I think he will have to take a cab and leave at 2 to be safe - he has to sneak out so the limo might cause suspicion that he left!

But with the directions in hand, it is sure going to help. Again, thanks!

Archived