Hair Braiding in Ocho Rios

drfeelgood

We will be in Ocho Rios for the day in a couple of weeks . My 3 daughters want to get their hair braided and I would like some recommendations. I have heard of people getting head lice from hair braiders using unclean combs. I also want to know what is the average fee per row braided or the half or whole head braiding fee .

We were in Ocho Rios last Thursday on the Triumph. You do not want to pay by the braid, always bargain for the whole head or half head. I would only pay by the braid if they are just wanting a couple of braids on the side. The first person that we spoke with wanted $3 a braid, well my DD has a lot of hair and it's long. She had her whole head braided except for her bangs and she ended up with 40 braids. I bargained them down to $50 for the whole head.

I would not pay over $25 for half a head. Also bring your own comb, the kind with a pointy end since that is what they use for separating the hair.

Also be prepared to walk away, there are a ton of people braiding down there and when they realize that you are taking your business elsewhere they are more willing to bargain.

Wayne

If you are on RCCL and go to Labadee get the hair braided there. The price was cheaper and the sanitary conditions looked much better, my guess is RCCL has guidelines they have to follow. The last time we got off in Ocho Rios some women in a hut at the port shopping area wanted $40 for half head braids and $80 for full head and they would not haggle. We decided to use this place since it looked cleaner than the other places. When the braider was finished she had the insolence to tell our daughter that I should give her a nice tip . Typical Jamaican modus operandi !

The last time we were Cozumel the women at the pier were braiding hair for $15 half head and $30 for full head. This is often the last stop and near the end of the cruise but the price is hard to beat.

Thanks for the info , and yes we will be in Labadee . After reading this thread and others we have decided to get the hair braided in Labadee. The girls will have an extra evening to wear their braids and not have the hassle in Ocho Rios .

Archived