Fly Aweigh Program Liberty 8/23/2006

Pjholt130

We have booked our air fare through Carnival. With the time change we didn't want to have to worry about getting their on time. Has anyone done the Fly Aweigh Program to Europe? What kind of flights are they we are flying from Phoenix Arizona and hope we won't be exhausted by the time we get there. Do they fly you in the day of the cruise or a day before? If anyone knows please let us know.

Thanks

We did last year from Denver. Same time that you are going this year, We left Denver at 5:00 pm on Wednesday with a 9 hour flight to Frankfurt Germany. We arrived about 9:00 am.Then we had about 1 hour to change clear customs, and change terminals and get on the second flight to Rome. Which was at 11:00 am and a two hour flight. We got in at 1:00 went straight to the luiggage claim, got our luggage gave it to the many Carnival Porters and got on the bus for a 1 hour bus trip to the pier, not many people waiting when we got their, so we boaded rather quickly, after that I cannot remember a lot because I was dead beat tired, we MUSTER DRILLED and went to bed. We did get up about 3:00 am and ate some Pizza, and went back to bed so we could get up early for Naples.

BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH EVERY BIT OF NON-SLEEP. With the second day being a sea day it worked out well. We did not notice being tired when we got to Dubrovnick.

Thanks for the info I hope are trip goes as smoothly as yours did. :) Did you get to see Rome at all? Did you do any excursions? Just trying to get some input on the ports are any of them walkable?

Thanks for your help!

Ours was straight from Detroit to Rome. For Europe cruises you leave the night before and get there on the day of.

We left Detroit on Friday August 12th 2005, and arrived around 10:30 on August 13th.

Like what Redskin said. We were a bit tired in Naples but were fine and adjusted to Europe time for the Sea day, and Dubrovnik.

I found that coming back to the states was worse, as I kept waking up each morning at 2:00am and an hour later each day until I was finally adjusted back to US EST. That took about 1 and a half weeks. Maybe it was just the fact that I could relax on vacation that got me adjusted to Europe time?

By the way, it was worth it.

Thanks for your input sounds like everyone had a great time did you do any of the excursions while you were on the cruise? We were trying to decide whether to book or just go on our own. Some of the ports seem walkable and others seem like you need transportation to see anything. I am interested in any suggestions.

Thanks;)

We booked them all through Carnival. All of the ones we wanted to do needed transportation.

Ok here goes with what we did

Rome: Rome at a Glance (I would have regretted not at least seeing Rome) most of us were napping in the bus on the way to Citavecchia

Naples: Ruins of Pompeii in the afternoon. We decided to walk around the city a little first that morning, and try out some Gelato first before the tour.

Dubrovnik: Best of Dubrovnik

Venice: First day Highlights of Venice, and then Verona city of Romeo and Juliet on the second day.

Messina Sicily: Taormina and Mt Etna (Have a Cannoli in Taormina)

Barcelona: Highlights and shopping (half day)

Cannes: Tendered Port!! Gourdon, Gorges de Loup, St Paul DeVence. Saw a lot of France, and got to visit the perfume factory in Grasse

Livorno: Florence and Pisa. This is a long tour, would have liked to see more in Florence. We liked the Gelato best in Pisa!

Anyhow, to answer your questions about walking to see stuff, it didn't seem like there was much you could see, aside from Cannes itself. Venice would be another one, but it said that it takes about 1 hour to walk to St. Marks square from where the ship docked. I didn't mess with getting there on our own we went there with the Highlights of Venice. I kind of wish we did a Gondola ride, but the couples massage we did after Verona was definately better.

I still have all of my pictures from all of those tours online if you would like to see pictures of the Liberty, and these shore excursions. We definately had the time of our lives over there in Europe, and it was great to see everything.

I also have the tour booklet that was in our room that explains these and other tours as well.

I think I am going to save up for the Freedom next so we can do a full day tour in Rome on their last stop.

Last thing, if you've never been to Europe watch out for the gypsies, and be ready to pay 50 cents or so to use the Toilets (they aren't called bathrooms)

Thanks for all the input it was great you said you had pictures online do you have a link so we can see. So all and all the excursions are the way to go if you want to see anything. I know everyone is different but how much spending money would you say you would need aside from the sign and sail card purchases. Just the on land expenses.

Thanks

For those past Liberty Med cruisers, what are the options or the best way to get from Civitavecchia to the Airport after the cruise? We have a 10am flight so I am glad to see that the ship gets in early. Thanks!

Thanks for the info I hope are trip goes as smoothly as yours did. :) Did you get to see Rome at all? Did you do any excursions? Just trying to get some input on the ports are any of them walkable?

Thanks for your help!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=316527

Here is a link to the previous information I provided about our trip.

In Dubrovnick, you can take a shuttle bus to the Walled Portion of the City, that is very walkable.

Barcalona is Walkable, as is Cannes. Not much though in Cannes, you day Ferry in, we walked around, but it was SUnday so alot was closed, The Beach was busy.

Your pictures were great and the tour information was helpful. I will have to look over the excursions again and try to pick out ones that I think we will enjoy. Did you get in early enough to do the tour of Rome before or did you have to do it after the cruise?;)

I loved your photos but I noticed that some were taken indoors - I thought that wasn't allowed. Or is it just no flashes allowed. My daughter and I are taking that same cruise this summer and I am looking forward to all the sightseeing. I'm still trying to make up my mind about excursions also - Carnival or booking ourselves??? We are going to have 3 days in Rome prior to the cruise.

Pjholt130: We got in early enough to do the Rome at a Glance tour before. I'm glad we did that as we would have regretted not seeing anything in Rome. I'm looking forward to saving up enough to take the Freedom through the Greek Isles, and having the last night overnight aboard the ship in Citavecchia so we can see more of Rome!

Mel17: The only place that they told us not to do that was inside the dosges palace in Venice. I was able to take the picture of the gold leaf ceiling above the staircase, but after that they told us not to. I just took most of them without the flash.

Also it was kind of neat as we had "Whispers" for Pompeii, and Venice. You get to wear the radio transmitters and listen to the tourguide while walking around. It only fits good in one ear, which was a problem for my wife since she is nearly deaf in the ear that it fit in.

Archived