Kids present @ QUEST

I sailed the Voyager on 3-18, it was my first cruise(EXCELLENT!!), and I thought quest was very tame. The worst I saw were Men in their boxers, (my DH included), certainly no nudity or anything x-rated. As a matter of fact neither of my teens aged 14 and 17 cared to go and I found it to be humorous but nothing outrageous. It must differ from ship to ship.

...Quest is an adult game. The parents are then responsible for making the decision on whether to allow their off-spring to attend.

I disagree.

If children are asked to leave an event by RCI then it is not up to the parents to decide who stays or not. Children should clearly be expected to leave any performance when anything "R-rated" is predicted, that's what R-rated means, and that's an RCI decision. The R stands for Restricted, not for "Rude parent can decide". It is up to the RCI management to decide and ultimately enforce who stays and who goes not the parents in this venue. Are parents also to decide if it is ok for their kids to run up and down screaming in the halls at midnight?

Us old(er) teachers (my perspective) wish everyone would follow the common sense rules to begin with like we taught in school, yet like in school, that just doesn't magically happen all by itself. Adults with common sense should likewise be uncomfortable performing lewd or risqué acts in front of children, thus it is for the benefit of both groups that they are not present. Ultimately RCI really has to be in charge of enforcing the rules.

The problem with so many things, some cruise practices included, is the lack of management's courage to openly enforce the expectations, which is the same as giving your right to comfort and enjoyment away. Saving deck chairs, formal dining dress codes, quiet and courtesy in hallways at night all come to mind.

I blame Royal Caribbean International every time one or more guest are allowed to spoil a cruise for others because management really fail to step up to their responsibility of adequate supervision so much of the time.

Maybe we need to be more vocal to RCI about that?

...But if you have some parents that bring their 10&12 year old kids, what are you gonna do? These are probably the same people that allow their kids to get in the adult hot tubs,play in the elevators, waste food, yell in the hallways, etc, etc. Cruiseline rules cannot correct bad parenting.

Cruise Lines should be encouraged and even expected to enforce rules for exactly the reasons you just gave, otherwise they are giving away the comforts we all pay to go and enjoy to those who would ruin things for us all. Why is there not more expectation within our collective cruise critic voice that they begin to do so?

Maybe the bouncers, the keeping kids out of the Quest is more for the comfort level of the adults there. Teens know how there are places and times they don't want their parents there. The Quest is kind of a reversal, where the parents may not want their teens there or anyone elses.

Robin :cool:

I'm sure it's probably more of a comfort level for adults as we adults don't want to let our teenage kids know that we regress so easily, with peers, into doing very stupid things. Things that in part, we would take them to task if they did something as stupid. ;)

...Quest is an adult game. The parents are then responsible for making the decision on whether to allow their off-spring to attend.

I disagree.

If children are asked to leave an event by RCI then it is not up to the parents to decide who stays or not. Children should clearly be expected to leave any performance when anything "R-rated" is predicted, that's what R-rated means. The R stands for Restricted, not for "Rude parent can decide". It is up to the management to decide and ultimately enforce who stays and who goes not the parents in this venue. Are parents also to decide if it is ok for their kids to run up and down screaming in the halls at midnight?

Us old(er) teachers (my perspective) wish everyone would follow the common sense rules to begin with like we taught in school, yet like in school, that just doesn't magically happen by itself. Adults with common sense should likewise be uncomfortable performing lewd or risqué acts in front of children, thus it is for the benefit of both groups that they are not present. Ultimately RCI really has to be in charge of enforcing the rules.

The problem with so many things, some cruise practices included, is the lack of management's courage to openly enforce the expectations, which is the same as giving your right to comfort and and enjoyment away. Saving deck chairs, formal dining dress codes, quiet and courtesy in hallways at night all come to mind.

I blame Royal Caribbean International every time one guest is allowed to spoil a cruise for others because they really appear to fail to step up to their responsibility of adequate supervision so much of the time.

Trust me, I have seen nudity during quest. It is adults only. 18 and over.

What ship was that because I will certainly not go to it on that ship. Its one thing to strip to skivies in a fun game, but full out nudity reduces it to a strip club atmoshere and that is not what the Quest I attended was like.

BevMoney- I was on Monarch in March, and there was frontal nudity on both females and males (no bra's, no underwear on either). Crazy. But like I said earlier Explorer was not bad, men in boxers was the worst I saw.

Monarch is frequently Xrated, but as previously noted, they don't let kids in. The Voyager class ships play a G or PG family version of the game. If it is an adults only activity, then there should only be adults in the audience. I don't care who is responsible for keeping under age children out. I don't know why that should be difficult for parents to understand. It is that same old argument where some folks don't seem to think the same rules apply to THEM. :)

And gee Bev, Quest on some ships is probably not for you then. (I am thinking of a word that starts with p) We don't visit strip clubs at home either, but it is a fun ADULT game and activity to watch on vacation. I don't think brief, partial nudity or more is quite the same thing as a "strip club".

We took our first cruise in 2004 on Mariner. I was saddened to see so many young children taken by their parents to events which were "adults only" events late at night (Quest, Love and Marriage, and a comedian act). The fact that these parents thought it suitable to expose their young impressionable children to adults only events says a lot about the way we are headed as a society. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but that's how I feel. I think that it's possible they wanted to attend the events themselves, and didn't have a sitter. So rather than deny themselves, they reasoned that it was fine to take the kids. I hope they don't look back someday and realize that they should have been a bit more careful about what they exposed them to when they were young.

To each his own, I guess.

Yuk. LOL. Sorry, I just keep picturing the nudies on a nude beaches. I'll stay with the PG versions on Voyager class, they were fun enough.

Ericknow2, ok, maybe strip club was too strong but I am certainly not a Prude!

I just got off the Mariner today. I did go to the famous "Quest" game. Prior to the start of the game James did remind parents that the game was adult entertaiment and there may be things that they should not see. Nobody took their children out. There were some shockingly funny parts, but nothing that the children would not have seen else on TV.

I do not remember seeing anything in the lists of rules stating that they were not allowed to watch. It states that it is adult entertainment and parents should be aware of that.

There is a difference between rules and recommendations.

We were on the Mariner the week before you. Perhaps James remembered his announcement this week due to the shirtless and braless woman in the audiance in our game and everyone saw her business! :eek: LOL

I went back and checked the Compass for Monarch in July, it says:

10:00 PM QuestThe Circuit (Adults Only)

On Mariner in October, the Compass states:

10:30 PM The Quest (Adults Only) Studio B

That seems more like a rule then a recommendation.:)

I don't understand how any parent could sit there and allow their child to stay after 1. reading the compass that states "Adult Only" and 2. hearing from the CD that children should leave because it is for Adults. That's just crazy.

And I have seen nudity at Quest on Sovereign and it was NOT pretty cause it was my MIL. I am still having nightmares. :eek:

(she went to remove a personal article of clothing and got her shirt stuck up over her head. So don't think stripper pole, think scarred for life)

Is it actually written somewhere that Quest on the Voyager class ships is for the whole family? I certainly never saw anything stating that on Mariner. In fact, the Compass specifically said it was for Adults Only. That's neither ambiguous nor "for the whole family." Why should it be G-rated on some ships just because some parents want it to be? I think it's quite true that when parents insist on bringing young children, then it inhibits the fun for adults. Most of us don't want to expose young children to slightly risque activities (no, I've never seen actual nudity, just skivvies), so they tone it down--all thanks to the parents who refuse to accept that Adults Only means Adults Only.

beachchick

It's crazy, it's hilarious, it's the wildest Adult Game on the the high seas - it's The Quest. Join in the fun tonight. Doors open at 10:00 pm, Studio B, Deck 3 aft. The fun begins at 10:30pm.

No where does it say that children are not allowed. Some may interpret this message as only adults being allowed to play.

Why do I say this? The night before they had an adult karoke idol search. Children where allowed to watch, but they could not sing. This would then imply that the above could be viewed by children, but that they may not participate.

They had a "family friendly" quest on the Mariner BEFORE the "Adults-only" game. I thought this was a great thing! :) We had an unusually large number of kids on the cruise (Thanksgiving break) and there were many added "family" activities (extended family hours in the disco, more family activities in the upper lounges) for the week. Being the youngest member of my family at 27, I didn't mind the kiddie-games. It MAYBE helped keep them out of other things. However, if you read my previous post, there was a problem in the "adults-only" comedy show after NUMEROUS announcements for them to leave.

I'm sorry that kids ruined your cruise.

Next time try traveling in the middle of February on Empress.

I don't think anyone said that "kids ruined their cruise". Most of us are parents (maybe even grandparents) that believe that Quest should be adult only. I would never allow my girls into Quest, just because your parents allowed you in (at age 12), doesn't make it right.

When I was on the Navigator this Feb, the Quest was in the compass as "adults only". When we went to studio b, the cd (Ashley Kerr) announced that children were not allowed to be there. There was one father in the audience who actually stood up to block her view of his two young sons (ages appeared to be about 6-8) when she was scanning the room to see if children were there. I did not think that the Quest was that bad, no nudity.

And gee Bev, Quest on some ships is probably not for you then. (I am thinking of a word that starts with p) We don't visit strip clubs at home either, but it is a fun ADULT game and activity to watch on vacation. I don't think brief, partial nudity or more is quite the same thing as a "strip club".

jrlaurie stated 'frontal nudity...no underwear" if they are showing anymore than 'boobies':eek: ..than to me that is sorta like a strip club too...if jrlaurie meant 'top' nuidy thats one thing but if your seeing 'down below' with no undies...thats pretty raunchy to me too...and I am certinally no prude...but I dont want to 'just anyones' privates!!!:eek:

I have been on 3 RCI cruises and have gone to see Quest each time. Not only is it not the same on every ship, but it is not the same on each class of ship. All 3 of my cruises were on Voyager class and they were all different. Some more raunchy than other. I would never bring my 8yo to see it. If he were 15-16 maybe, but no younger than that. I think that RCI needs to post "bouncers" at the door just like they do at the disco at night.

RCI has bouncers at the door, they did stop 10 year olds from entering, but come on, you want them to get in an argument with every single teenager that walks up..???

grow up. It's nothing we havn't seen before.

Speaking as to what I saw on the Monarch last weekend, there is no way in hell that my kids will be allowed by me to see that until they are over the age of 18!! I don't care if they've "seen" it elsewhere. And I don't even have kids yet! On the Brilliance, I might've let some older teenagers in the room, but believe me on the Monarch it is very close to X rated.

Archived