? about paying for SEA-pass and BirthCertificates..

Virgincruiser1

First Cruise if coming up on the 10th. I have 2 questions.1) Do you have to put a credit card down to get a Sea pass? I would prefer to pay it off with cash.2) I will be traveling with a birth cert. instead of passport and am wondering if it has to be the Original copy or just a Certified copy?Thanks...

You can pay in cash. When you check in for the cruise, you must give them a specific amount in cash (for some cruise lines it's $200 per person), and if you use all that up, you're notified to come to the purser's desk and give them more cash. Personally, it's much easier to just use a credit card because settling up the account on the last day is a real pain in the behind if you use cash.

Your birth certificate must be the state issued one and not one from the hospital. It must be certified with either a state seal or some kind of identifying watermark. Some states are issuing credit card sized BC's but there is a watermark of some kind that shows it's an official state issued certificate.

This is what we do, it keeps us more within our budget for the week. For ease of setting up the seapass account, we use a credit card. Then, on the last afternoon of the cruise, we go to the desk and pay our cash, you can actually put the cash on the account any time you like. If we have any charges on the last evening, we let it ride and pay it the next month when we get the bill.

Darcie is right about the BC, it must be the copy you got from the issuing state (or county). Most states use a seal or watermark. Our birth certificates are marked "certified copy", the original stays with the government office.

Make sure you have the correct document now, before it's too late. It's up to you to produce the proper ID, you can be denied boarding and lose your fare if you cannot prove your citizenship. What many people don't realize is that the proof is for re-entering the US, not for visiting the islands or being on the ship. They just won't let you board if they think they can't disembark you!

Let me see if I understand how this works....you put your credit card down and any purchases you make go on your credit card. Then you can go to the pursor's desk and actually pay on your credit card right there?? I already have my certified birth certificate, I was just making sure that it was exactly what I needed.

Sort of...you aren't actually paying the CC but you are paying cash to lower or wipe out the amount charged to your cc. HOWEVER, they will authorize a certain amount of funds to cover the expected charges. If you are using a debit card, this will reduce the amount of money in your checking account. so just make sure you have enough money in there.

HTH

So are you saying that my credit card won't be charged until the end of the cruise? OK I see. I'm not sure what you mean about them authorizing a certain amount of funds?? Sorry I know it shouldn't be this difficult to understand..HAHA....

The credit card is used to "back" your purchases on the ship. If you chose to do so, you give them a credit card, but all your purchases are put on a sign and sail card, not your credit card. At the end of the cruise, you can pay your shipboard account off by using cash, and then they tear up your credit card receipt. If you use a credit card, the cruise line puts a "hold" of a certain amount of money on your credit card---that way they are making certain that your card is valid and you're not using a card that is maxed out or invalid. That hold varies from cruise line to cruise line, but it's usually in the $100 range.

That's correct. They put a "hold" on your CC for a certain amount of money, but they don't charge your card until the very end of the trip so it's one charge for the entire amount. If you want to pay cash, then pay mid way thru your cruise and maybe again the day before disembarkation as someone else suggested. Then the only amount litterally charged to your card would be anything after that last payment that you charge, like those drinks at dinner on the last night or purchases in the stores for liquor or other on that last night or possibly your gambling that last night.

Archived