Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

We will be cruising the Inside Passage July 8-15. I am looking for any advise on shoes and jackets that will keep us dry and warm and at the same time not take up a tremendous amount of packing space.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Most important is the layers, take a sweatshirt, turtle neck, tshirts, you need a lightweight lined jacket. Knit hat and gloves, rain gear. I always recommend 2 pair of walking shoes, nothing worse than damp hard to dry shoes. :)

I have been to Alaska several times in July. I have had 85 degree sunny weather in Alaska and 40 degree rainy weather. It all depends how the weather systems are set up. My advise is take a heavy jacket and rain gear, but also shorts.

I'm from Miami, so this whole concept of wearing layers and packing for such a varied climate is foreign to me:eek: Usually when we travel, we either pack for "cold" or "hot", so this is new to me.

I get the idea of bring a wide variety of clothes I guess, but I am confused as to what to wear on the ship in the evenings. Do I bring capris, light dresses, etc? As some have posted that on board people dress similar to in the Carribbean. Or do I bring long sleeve shirts, light sweaters, and long pants. I am packing for 4, and I really don't want to over pack and have to lug a ton of unnecessary clothing cross country, so

please help.

Also 90% of my clothes are capris and light short sleeve blouses or tanks, so I really need to know whether to go shopping;)

I also would like to know if people dress for dinner as if they were on a caribbean cruise or if they are dressing more for the outside weather? I have put all my winter dress clothes away for the summer.

So........should I take summer dinner wear or winter dinner wear?

:rolleyes:

I'm from Miami, so this whole concept of wearing layers and packing for such a varied climate is foreign to me:eek: Usually when we travel, we either pack for "cold" or "hot", so this is new to me.

I get the idea of bring a wide variety of clothes I guess, but I am confused as to what to wear on the ship in the evenings. Do I bring capris, light dresses, etc? As some have posted that on board people dress similar to in the Carribbean. Or do I bring long sleeve shirts, light sweaters, and long pants. I am packing for 4, and I really don't want to over pack and have to lug a ton of unnecessary clothing cross country, so

please help.

Also 90% of my clothes are capris and light short sleeve blouses or tanks, so I really need to know whether to go shopping;)

Yep, this takes some serious thought. :D

I need to make sure not to store all of my winter closthes. I'm keeping out the more "transitional" clothing while also trying to figure out what I can wear twice. The concept of freestyle helps quite a bit. However, I refuse to overpack. Will pay for laundering services before having an abundance of luggage to deal with. And unlike traveling to warm climates, the clothes are thicker and take up more space. But oh well, I will have fun regardless!

I also plan on taking fewer clothes, wearing things more than once and taking advantage of the laundry services. I told my daughters, 12 & 10 that they are also going to wear things more than once. Luckily, they haven't reached the age where that would be GROSS!

I thought about taking two pair of nice dress pants then different tops to mix and match with. I don't want to over pack in the dress clothes either.

As my daughter says, "Mom, when are you going to see these people again, who cares if you wear the same clothes during the week!!"

Okay so I wear things more than once, I got that. I also plan on doing laundry, as we will be away for 10 days. Thank heaven our ship has washers/dryers. But as was stated earlier, the winter clothes take up more space. I always seriously overpack (for example, went to denver a few years back, and for a family of five, we had ten bags-suitcases and carry ons:eek: ) I really don't want to do that one again.

Now, it's only four of us going. I have been mentally preparing myself for three suitcases-Maxium (I have two young kids). Plus all the carry on stuff. Cameras, video camera, binoculars, possible portable dvd player (for six hour flight to and from Seattle).

Do I pack light clothes? I really don't want to take things that I probably won't wear. Also what about sandals? Is there a place for them on an Alaska cruise?

I never realized how hard packing for Alaska was going to be!!! I promised my husband that we would each only have one suitcase for this trip. Well, I am going to pack a big duffle bag in one of our suitcases so I have a place to put all our Alaskan treasures!!!

Okay so I wear things more than once, I got that. I also plan on doing laundry, as we will be away for 10 days. Thank heaven our ship has washers/dryers. But as was stated earlier, the winter clothes take up more space. I always seriously overpack (for example, went to denver a few years back, and for a family of five, we had ten bags-suitcases and carry ons:eek: ) I really don't want to do that one again.

Now, it's only four of us going. I have been mentally preparing myself for three suitcases-Maxium (I have two young kids). Plus all the carry on stuff. Cameras, video camera, binoculars, possible portable dvd player (for six hour flight to and from Seattle).

Do I pack light clothes? I really don't want to take things that I probably won't wear. Also what about sandals? Is there a place for them on an Alaska cruise?

I don't know if it would help you, but when our daughter went to summer camp they suggested that we pack each day's clothes in an individual plastic bag - underwear, pants, T-shirt, socks - so that she'd have it all together. One advantage for travel is that you can then get rid of the air before you seal it and save space.

One of the first things you will notice is that Alaska is a VERY casual state. Comfort and safety win out over style. The 40-85 degree variation is not an exaggeration, hence the layering. Pile is warmer than cotton, especially if it gets wet (summer hypothermia is often 'death by cotton') and still lightweight. Frequently the wind chill factor can make a 70 degree day colder than a 50 degree day. And on the 50 degree day, you may be down to shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. So - pile, waterproof windbreaker, socks, a lightweight hat, sandals you can wear with socks (Chacos, Tevas), walking or running-type shoes, jeans, dressier pants or skirts for dinner, shorts, a couple of T-shirts (a long sleeved one is good), a good day pack to put layers in as you shed, and a close eye on the weather. Or if you want to look like a local commercial fisherman: shorts worn over long underwear, pile top, and Xtra-Tufs....

No Wall Mart in Alaska, but the clothing buys are outstanding in most of the shops. Look around before you buy to get the best deals.

The inside ship temps are the same as hot weather cruises.

This is going to be a stupid question....what is pile? I live in the South so we do not have a need for certian types of winter clothes.

Tangerinebunny your middle age comment cracked me up and hit close to home. :rolleyes:

One of the first things you will notice is that Alaska is a VERY casual state. Comfort and safety win out over style. The 40-85 degree variation is not an exaggeration, hence the layering. Pile is warmer than cotton, especially if it gets wet (summer hypothermia is often 'death by cotton') and still lightweight. Frequently the wind chill factor can make a 70 degree day colder than a 50 degree day. And on the 50 degree day, you may be down to shorts, sandals and a T-shirt. So - pile, waterproof windbreaker, socks, a lightweight hat, sandals you can wear with socks (Chacos, Tevas), walking or running-type shoes, jeans, dressier pants or skirts for dinner, shorts, a couple of T-shirts (a long sleeved one is good), a good day pack to put layers in as you shed, and a close eye on the weather. Or if you want to look like a local commercial fisherman: shorts worn over long underwear, pile top, and Xtra-Tufs....

Very well stated. The tourists always stick out....heehee

There are 2 Walmarts in Anchorage! I know them both very well. :)

I love hopelea's daughter's comment on "who cares if you wear the same clothes all week" ....so very very true...we don't care.. :) Most important is comfort and fun!!

Set2Travel,

I don't think it's a stupid question, as I too have no clue what pile is:rolleyes:

I think pictures of typical Alaska fashion are in order if available, as I really don't want to "stick out". :D

I still don't have the answer to my question, do I bring capris and tank like tops to wear in the evenings? Will I be too cold? Please remember, I'm from Miami and cold is a relative term. (When 40 degree weather comes here, half of the students miss school:eek: ) I gues I could pack an extra light sweater in a nuetral color or a shawl. Of course this will again add to the amount I pack. Wal mart is sounding very good.

As for the sandals, I have never worn them with socks, so I don't think I'll start now. I'll have to make do with the closed shoes I've got. Or of course I can go shopping. Alaska is a mighty expensive place to visit.

I think they are referring towards flannel and fleece with the pile. Sweatpants and tops are very popular. Lots of gift stores to buy t-shirts/sweat shirts to wear and have as souvenirs. I wear capris, tshirt and sandals all summer and have already put my warm winter coat away except for trips to Anch in case of car trouble on the road. Rainy days a light jacket.

Don't mean to offend anyone but I really crack up laughing every year with these people that show up looking like a white bunny belonging in some high class ski resort.

Do you really want me to go take some pics of the locals? lmao I guess it would give me something to. :)

Glacierlady....I can't believe you have already packed away your warm winter coat away. What does that mean the temperature is?? I live in Alabama and it was about 85 today.

Yes, please do take some pictures to share. I don't ever look like I should belong at a high class ski resort, so I have nothing to worry about :)

I am so glad that I am not the only one who does not know what Pile is. I vote for pictures of Alaska wear...yeah I would hate to look like a tourist...as if the camera around my neck...the map in my hand...and the two kids yanking on my shirt tail won't be a dead give away!

We are going to Alaska June 1st and I do not plan on taking shorts, except for the gym shorts for the spa on the ship, nor am I taking capris. I live in Atlanta and I usually am in a sweater if it is in the 60's. If I get there and Alaska is having a heatwave then I will resort to a well thought out plan of SHOPPING. My biggest concern is being warm. I do not tolerate the cold very well. I know Glacierlady just rolled her eyes.;)

Oh we must all be posting at the same time! Thanks for the info Glacierlady. Yes pictures!lol The flannel makes sense. I will have to order a few shirts. I have a couple of fleece jackets. Yes I am packing the ski coat...not white and no fur...I won't look like one of those bunnies you were referring too! I thought I might need it for the glacier landing and the glacier cruising????

OMG...I'm laughing so hard! 85 degrees I would melt into a ocean!!! Ok, You guys better bring down parkas! Wait,ohh no... you'll have to buy them up here...time to go shopping...heehee

Seriously, I wouldn't worry so much about the weather and you can always buy some more clothes at the gift shops.

Temp today is in 40's and sunny. We got a couple inches of snow last night but it's already melted. Last week we had some 50's and wonderful sunny spring days! I've seen lots of 90's, esp around July and it seems sooooooo hot! I have heard of it snowing here in July but haven't witnessed it.

If I go take some pictures today...where do I put them to share on here???

One thing I will say about footwear, as far as keeping your feet warm. Spend about 8-10 dollars for a pair or two of non-cotton socks. This will make the biggest difference for the money spent.

@GlacierLady

I know what you mean. My sister lives in Knoxville, and we live in Minneapolis. Anyway, if you go to http://www.imageshack.us you can upload pictures and they will host it for you for free. I use it all the time to host small pictures for forums as they allow direct linking to forums like this. Once you upload the picture, cut and paste the last link they give (the one that states it is the direct link) into a post here.

-Suntan

Archived