Gary Rhodes on Arcadia- how was it for you?

bonni99

Hi- just wondering what people thought of the Gary Rhodes restaurant on board the Arcadia- having been to one of Gary's London restaurants I would love the chance to try one at sea- what was the menu like and in general did people enjoy the food? Was it easy to recognise Gary's signature dishes?

I am sailing on Arcadia in 5 weeks time - 12th May, and hope to dine in AR for our silver wedding anniv evening. Will let you know how we get on - approx £15pp surcharge i believe.:D

Have you been on the www. pocruises.co.uk website? THE SITE HAS BEEN REVAMPED, but there was a example of a menu on the old site

under 'our ships/Arcadia/Dining/Arcadian rhodes, have a look!

SUE

Hi there

We were on Arcadia in January/February and sailed from Barbadod to New Orleans. Had a really fabulous time. Food in AR is exceptionally good. The menu is quite limited with just around 4 choices of starters and mains with about 5 desserts. There is also an option that is not menued that the staff inform you of when seated. But it is all really beautifully cooked and presented and tastes delicious. There is no rush to finish your meal either as you have your table for the whole evening. We had a window seat (although it was dark outside and we couldn't see anything but the wash from the ship) it is very spacious inside. Couldn't fault it and suggest you give it a try. Well worth the supplement.

Hi there

We were on Arcadia in January/February and sailed from Barbados to New Orleans. Had a really fabulous time. Food in AR is exceptionally good. The menu is quite limited with just around 4 choices of starters and mains with about 5 desserts but it is usually changed once every week (Menus 1 and 2). There is also an option that is not menued that the staff inform you of when seated. But it is all really beautifully cooked and presented and tastes delicious. There is no rush to finish your meal either as you have your table for the whole evening. We had a window seat (although it was dark outside and we couldn't see anything but the wash from the ship) it is very spacious inside. Couldn't fault it and suggest you give it a try. Well worth the supplement.

• 4 weeks later...
hi there im off on the arcadia on the 29 /4 /2006 i will let you no when i get back if the g/r is good or not

hi just back from my cruise on arcadia the gary rhodes food is exceptionally give it a good but check to see when gary is on the ship as he comes on for four days have a good holiday wish i was back on arcadia

• 3 weeks later...
hi just back from my cruise on arcadia the gary rhodes food is exceptionally give it a good but check to see when gary is on the ship as he comes on for four days

Four days is about all the rest of the chefs on board can stand, I suspect if he stayed any longer someone would send him for a swim ocean side!:D

I was onboard Arcadia a couple of weeks ago;

In AR I had;

Red mullet on a bed of mash with a lovely orange and spring onion sauce, the rolls served were warm with sea salt chunks on.

Then asked to sample the chefs soup in a tiny cup sweet pea and something- you could really taste the peas,

then Lamb on a onion tart with minted pea sauce, green beans cooked to perfection, and mustard mash,

then another sample dish, blackcurrant sorbet,

then my sweet, a caramelised pear stood proud, the caramel was crisp on top, with a portion of choc moose sat on a flaky pastry bed, and a portion of clotted cream ice cream on a pastry bed....

oooohhhhh, wine and sparkling water were topped up throughout, a chose of coffees inc in price including floater.

£15pp supplement + drinks

The service was perfect, with just the right pauses between courses, and plates whisked away after each course. The wine and water topped up at just the right time..

Well worth the supplement, and a chance to have a romantic table for 2, esp. if you are usually on a larger table in the main restaurant. Ask for a window table when booking, it was still light when we sat down at 8pm, so nice to see the sea!!

By the way, the Orchid Thai Restaurant was good too... at £10PP supplement. Went there on our Silver Anniv, and was presented at the end of the meal with a iced cake, saying 'happy silver anniv., so full couldn't eat it, so later they wrapped it in foil. It was a rich fruity cake, brought it home and ate it with friends!

sue

Now booked again on Arcadia - The med in 2007!:o

• 3 weeks later...

Must be the only ones who has had a bad meal in AR.

Our meals went back they were so undercooked, Pork, at that.

We did not think it was worth the money we thought that the normal restaurant was far better, and the service also.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Arcadia when it sailed over to the Caribbean last year. Gary did a cooking demo towards the end of the cruise, joining the ship having flown out. 5 minutes before he is due to start I go backstage for a final check of microphones to find him on his knees worshipping the porcelain god. The ship was hardly moving but he was throwing up an moaning like it was a force 12. I went up to the shop and bought him some wristbands which are very effective but the cruise director had himsen down to the docs for an injection which soon fixed the problem.

I had to remind Gary that we'd worked together before although it was at an event I think both of us would rather forget. I was working for Gary Glitter (this is back in 95 before he got caught) and we were doing production rehearsals at Brixton Acadamy. Gary Rhodes came and filmed his TV show on the stage and even got to sing with the Glittery one. I think that is on episode that won't be repeated on satellite TV. What was even worse for me is that Gary appeared on a TV charity telethon show the week before and I can now honestly say that I have "done children in need with Gary Glitter", not something you want to bring up too often though ;)

We were on board in April when GR was on board cooking, it was also the first anniversary of the ship and so the AR restaurant.

There was an 8 course Gala Menu, with no choice, and it was out of this world. We have dined at some VERY nice places but this was the best we have EVER had. Well worth the £22.50 cover charge. GR came out and spent about 10 minutes with each and every table and even explained to us in great detail how to make the pure white cherry tomato soup - a masterpiece!

If you're on board go and definitely don't miss it, if the man himself is cooking.

Heads

Thanks for sharing that Gary Rhodes story. How awful! I couldnt imagine anything worse than having to work with food when you are feeling seasick!

If you have any more 'behind the scenes' cruise stories, I would love to hear them!

Lisa

We have booked for the cruise you did but arriving in New Orleans, Key West, etc. and finishing in Barbados. Any helpful hints for the Ports of Call, and can we do any trips ourselves? Could you please advise of any place we shouldn't miss. Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Archived