Avast be there Pirates aboard??

Ahoy thar mateys

We be traveln' on the CB (western) in Oct with our autistic son (age 6). He is so into pirates that we decorated his room like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean - we did Jack Sparrow proud. I was lurking through the boards and was clicking in and out of people's vacation photo's and noticed pictures of people on Princess Cay with two pirates in the picture (I am guessing crew members dressed as such). This would make his trip if he was capable to see a pirate. Do they still have crew members dressed as this and does anyone know of any pirate themed attractions on our itenary? (we know that there is a pirate museum in Key West but alas that is not on our pillage and plunder route :(

Princess Cay

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Even if you know of some shops that sell pirate themed items, that would just shiver our timbers!!!

Our group dubbed ourselves the "Pirates of the Caribbean" on our cruise last month!

Yes, there be pirates in the dining rooms...mid-week is the best I can remember...great photo op!

We toured the pirate museum on St. Thomas..sorry, haven't been to your ports.

Cheers!

Just try to get by the pirates of Princess Cay - darn near impossible even if you don't want your picture taken. Just off the dock when you get off the tender. And check out the adjacent gift shops. Your son should have a great time.

By the way, book one of the stingray tours on Grand Cayman and give your son an underwater camera. He should have a blast. Hope the sea conditions let you tender there - we only made it ashore once out of two trips.

Our photo albums show "Pirates" on most of the dozen cruises. Usually those Brit's who do the ship photos. I grew up in the Carib: Panama and Key West.

But recall no reenactor events but know Jamaica has them. Do a halloween cruise. Then again, perhaps not :eek:

I hear many pirate ships were, well gay? So be forewarned that it is not just the fair young maidens who should worry, arrh!

BTW" many "Pirates" were actually privateers: contract rouges sailing under "papers" from, well usually England. Starting with Sir Francis Drake.

Joe

Eye me Bucko! Grand Cayman has a "Pirate Ship" excursion. I have not personally taken the tour. I think some drinking of grog is involved so this may not be suitable for your child. Then again at age 6 it may not matter.

pirateship.jpg

Ahoy thar mateys

We be traveln' on the CB (western) in Oct with our autistic son (age 6). He is so into pirates that we decorated his room like something out of Pirates of the Caribbean - we did Jack Sparrow proud. I was lurking through the boards and was clicking in and out of people's vacation photo's and noticed pictures of people on Princess Cay with two pirates in the picture (I am guessing crew members dressed as such). This would make his trip if he was capable to see a pirate. Do they still have crew members dressed as this and does anyone know of any pirate themed attractions on our itenary? (we know that there is a pirate museum in Key West but alas that is not on our pillage and plunder route :(

Princess Cay

Ocho Rios

Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Even if you know of some shops that sell pirate themed items, that would just shiver our timbers!!!

This may too much for a 6 year old, but I'll post the link again just in case you or others are interested in a "real" Princess Cays Mystery

Do not read this post unless you want a mystery !!!

I was tipped off to a "secret" that is a hike, a sweat and a bit of a grave yard.

No one so far has the whole story.

Do NOT follow this link if you like laying in the sand relaxing

You are warned. (My pics are half way down the CC link)

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269311&page=2

We just got off the CB a week ago with our 6 year old (also Autistic) son. One night - I can't recall which - we came across 2 ship employees dressed up as pirates having their picture taken with passengers as they entered/exited one of the dining rooms. They were adorable!

I can't help you with anything on Princess Cays - we had to skip it unfortunately because of a storm.

I have heard things about Blackbeard's Castle on St. Thomas - won't help you for this trip, though... I hope you find something and have a great time!

Enjoy!

In Grand Cayman there is the Pirate Ship excursion that really looked like fun. There is also a store in town that has a tall Pirate statue out front.

When we got off the ship in Montego Bay, there were crew members dressed as pirates for the photo op!

Have a great cruise. I hope your son gets to see some pirates!:)

We were on the Grand a few years ago at the end of October. On Halloween night, the entire dining room staff dressed up in costume. Our waiter was dressed as a pirate and his female assistant was dressed as his wench. Very high-quality costumes too. They told us the crew really looked forward to that night.

Took my 5 nieces and nephews, ages 3-13, on the Grand Cayman Pirate Ship in December. All the kids had a blast. They let the kids fire pretend cannons at the cruise ships. The 13-year-old was tied to the mast and doused with saltwater. The 8 and 9-year olds had to swab the decks.

My sisters and I dressed all the kids like pirates (they brought their Halloween costumes). It really made for some cute pictures.

They serve rum punch to the adults, but no one was drinking too heavily.

They make a stop for swimming and let the kids jump off the side of the ship if they want to.

Very suitable for families IMO.

This is so great, you guys have been so helpful and those pictures were awesome. I was hoping to create a little map of Princess Cay and make it look like a treasure map, then have my husband go on ahead of us and hide some pirate treasure... I was even hoping to find the Princess Logo and make them the Pirate headwraps!)

If anyone is going before us and could help me out by giving me a little bit of a heads up (landmarks, est. lengths between, etc. ) You would really be a HUGE help.

This is such a huge trip for us and for our sons that I am just trying to figure out ways to make it relaxing and fun for all of us and with something he enjoys to focus on, it will make for a more enjoyable trip for him and less episodes brought on my his autism.

He is really catching on to the idea that we are going on a ship..his pirate ship, so I am still open to any ideas that you all have for making this filled with special memories. (Did I mention that this is our first big vacation - ever as a family - and depending on how well it goes, it may be our last for awhile so that is why I am going above and beyond).

Thanks again

This is so great, you guys have been so helpful and those pictures were awesome. I was hoping to create a little map of Princess Cay and make it look like a treasure map, then have my husband go on ahead of us and hide some pirate treasure... I was even hoping to find the Princess Logo and make them the Pirate headwraps!)

If anyone is going before us and could help me out by giving me a little bit of a heads up (landmarks, est. lengths between, etc. ) You would really be a HUGE help.

This is such a huge trip for us and for our sons that I am just trying to figure out ways to make it relaxing and fun for all of us and with something he enjoys to focus on, it will make for a more enjoyable trip for him and less episodes brought on my his autism.

He is really catching on to the idea that we are going on a ship..his pirate ship, so I am still open to any ideas that you all have for making this filled with special memories. (Did I mention that this is our first big vacation - ever as a family - and depending on how well it goes, it may be our last for awhile so that is why I am going above and beyond).

Thanks again

PrincessDreams4P&B,

Here is an idea for a map. There is a free Internet service called Google Earth. From here you can get detailed aerial photos. There are detailed photos of Princess Cays.

Go here:

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Download the program, run it and go to map coordinates

24deg38'00.0 N

76deg10'40.0 W

As you zoom in you will see a Princess ship and details of the beach area. This image may be a couple of years old. Someone may be able to compare the image to reality before your cruise.

I've never been involved with the youth programs aboard, but I've read nothing but glowing reports about the kids' staff. If you plan to get your son involved in that program, I'll bet if you tell his staff about his special interest, they'll bend over backwards to make it special for him.

I have no doubt that this will be a week that your family will remember with fond memories forever. The pirate ship excursion sounds totally awesome for your son. I would love to see pictures of his face with his eyes wide open when he see that ship and her crew!

Enjoy, and please post a trip report.

Took my 5 nieces and nephews, ages 3-13, on the Grand Cayman Pirate Ship in December. All the kids had a blast. They let the kids fire pretend cannons at the cruise ships. The 13-year-old was tied to the mast and doused with saltwater. The 8 and 9-year olds had to swab the decks.

Was this booked through Princess?? We hadn't booked anything for GC yet, we figured it might be a good day to stay on the boat and enjoy things while everyone else was off the boat..maybe instead we commendeer a new boat...

Mr. Gibbs:Then, on the fourth day, he roped himself a couple of sea turtles, lashed 'em together and made a raft.

Will Turner: He roped a couple of sea turtles.

Mr. Gibbs: Aye. Sea turtles.

Will Turner: What did he use for rope?

Jack Sparrow: [from beside them] Human hair.

[pause]

Jack Sparrow: From my back.

Was this booked through Princess?? We hadn't booked anything for GC yet, we figured it might be a good day to stay on the boat.

Yes, we booked through Princess. Had tried to book directly through the company that offers it, but they referred us back to Princess. The tour is only about 2-3 hours long, so it won't take the whole day. It leaves right from the tender pier, so it is easy on and easy off.

I believe there is also a pirates grotto store right by the tender pier. I wish I could remember the name. There is also a lifesize pirate statue in front of the Tortuga Rum Cake store.

I think you guys would really like the tour. They were very good with the kids. The little ones thought the tour operators were real pirates.

Grand Cayman is a beautiful port. It's very clean. Just think Cayman Island bank accounts. You'll get the picture. The best shopping too IMO.

I'm pretty sure that the Cayman pirate cruise you can book through Princess. Make sure you look all around the shops there on Cayman. We've got lots of Pirate pictures.

I"m trying to remember exactly where the one place was, but I guess they have a big Pirate festival in Cayman sometime during the year. This little store(you had to go up some stairs) was filled with pictures of it and lots of Pirate garb.

Good luck and have a great cruise!!!:D

Archived