Summit deck 9/ARE THE STARS OUT TONITE?

cruz4us2

As a 1st time cruiser, I had hoped for my TA to understand my requests better than she apparently did. My husband has Cancer, and he's always wanted to take a cruise to Alaska, and "watch the world go by". So, that said I spoke to her numerous times, and I thought it was understood, that I also ment to watch the STARS at night!! Well, we are on deck 9 CC 9102 and apparently w/overhang no problem during the day...but you can't see the STARS at night?? That's the pits!! I guess we'll just go up one more deck!! Does anyone know when we should be getting our Doc's?? I've heard different things.... Thanks to everyone for the advise!!

Hi Craze2,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

When are you going on your cruise? I'm cruising to Alaska, May 8, out of SF on Infinity. I received my e-docs via e-mail a couple of days ago. There's a few people on our roll call board that's already received their's through the mail. So, If you're on this cruise, I would guess you might be getting your's pretty soon. I would also like to invite you to come visit us on the roll call board.

Have a good evening.

I just got back from the constellation, and even laying out on the open top decks at night the stars were hard to see, it was very very disappointing. So your point might be moot, then again, alaska may be different. Does anyone know?

Craze2, I could have written your post...We are on the Summit, May 7th,9th deck. I was just happy to get a CC on the right side for Alaska, but we will miss the stars. My husband has a CAT this week, just holding our breath as we have been learning to do. He says we are going no matter what. Can't wait for todays mail in hopes of getting our docs.

I am very sorry to hear about your husband. From some personal experience, let me say you are creating lovely memories for you both.

Regarding the 9th deck and the stars. I have had a cabin on the 9th deck twice and was able to see beautiful stars.

Sure the balcony has an over hang but the stars are just out there. Just look ahead and up. You do not have to crane your neck to see them.

If it's a clear night and the stars are visible on the 10th deck, they will be visible for the both of you to.

I wish you both a wonderful Bon Voyage on this "special" voyage you are going on!

Having sailed Summit many times and we are booked for April 23 rd Hawaii trip in 9131 the same cabin as we had on the Maiden vovage of Summit, we never found the overhang to be a problem, it just requires that you look up and off to side for a great view of the night sky, just be sure to turn off the balcony light , the switch is alonside the vanity by the door to the balcony.

Hope that you will have a wonderful trip with many memories to savor.

Bob & Fran :)

Also remember that it's Alaska and depending on the time of year you are there, you will encounter very little darkness. We went at the beginning of June last year and it was twilight around 11:00 PM and the sun was rising around 3:00 AM. It barely got dark enough to see stars on any deck. Not to worry, the scenery in Alaska more than makes up for it.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Chris

As a 1st time cruiser, I had hoped for my TA to understand my requests better than she apparently did. My husband has Cancer, and he's always wanted to take a cruise to Alaska, and "watch the world go by". So, that said I spoke to her numerous times, and I thought it was understood, that I also ment to watch the STARS at night!! Well, we are on deck 9 CC 9102 and apparently w/overhang no problem during the day...but you can't see the STARS at night?? That's the pits!! I guess we'll just go up one more deck!! Does anyone know when we should be getting our Doc's?? I've heard different things.... Thanks to everyone for the advise!!

No matter what cruise ship I have been on it has been difficult to see the stars due to all the lights on the ship---very disappointing for sure.Alaska doesn't get really dark either.

The one notable exception was the Xpedition in the Galapagos. There they turn off almost all the ships lights at anchor and give a star show. I have never seen as many anywhere in my life.One passenger remarked when she first came on deck that she was disappointed that it was cloudy that night. It wasn't . There were so many stars that they looked like clouds-amazing.

Hi Craze2,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your husband.

When are you going on your cruise? I'm cruising to Alaska, May 8, out of SF on Infinity. I received my e-docs via e-mail a couple of days ago. There's a few people on our roll call board that's already received their's through the mail. So, If you're on this cruise, I would guess you might be getting your's pretty soon. I would also like to invite you to come visit us on the roll call board.

Have a good evening.

Hi Bandas; Thanks for the good wishes! We leave out of YVR on May 20th so were hoping for the best! I'll try the roll call board...see if I can figure it out. craze2

Hi Bandas; Thanks for the good wishes! We leave out of YVR on May 20th so were hoping for the best! I'll try the roll call board...see if I can figure it out. We also are celeabrating his 50th birthday,so were really excited!(sure glad he doesn't use the computer, he would like me telling his age!)

Craze2, I could have written your post...We are on the Summit, May 7th,9th deck. I was just happy to get a CC on the right side for Alaska, but we will miss the stars. My husband has a CAT this week, just holding our breath as we have been learning to do. He says we are going no matter what. Can't wait for todays mail in hopes of getting our docs.
Renebfl; hope for the best for you guys...we are leaving May 20th....although my hubby has lost a kidney and 1/2 and the CA has moved..WE ARE GOING ANYWAY! Best of luck..:cool:

For what it is worth, we love the 9th deck. The ovehang is great. We don't really like hanging out in the sun and it is perfect. I can read in the shade.

More importantly, if it rains you'll be protected where the other balconys might get a little wet depending on the rain. You are going to Alaska.....

Enjoy the cabin, you'll love it.

Duane

Craze2:

Hi, I'll be sailing with you on May 20th. Please click around and find our roll call, there are some great people going with us.

I don't know if this would interest you, but I have a family ocean room on hold and it doesn't look like I'll be able to use it (I can explain later). It's room 8181 (the aft corner room, somewhat larger with a 200 ft balcony). Once it's released, you can call Celebrity directly to change rooms (I don't know if there is a price difference).

I hope you don't mind if I add your husband to my prayer list (if you tell me his birthday, I'll bring him a card). I look forward to seeing you in May.

Kathey

That would be very kind of you to add him to your prayer list, his name is Ric. We appriecate the offer of the room but Ric's kinda gotten used to where he's going to be. So, will be in 9102 where will you be? Are you leaving from YVR? This is our 1st cruise, is it yours??

Hope to hear from you soon....

Donna

Donna, very nice to meet you. Yes, we'll be sailing out of Vancouver on the Summit on May 20. We're in room 7206, at the rear of the ship. I've read great things about these cabins so I hope it lives up to its reputation. This is not my first cruise, but I'm addicted. I hope you love it as much as I do. The link to our roll call is: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=217385. Please join in, and you'll have lots of friends onboard even before we sail. Right now we're planning a sailaway get together and a cabin tour. I'm praying for you and Ric daily and I hope this is the best vacation you two can possibly have. Please keep in touch.

Kathey

Hi there..hope your day was pleasent!

I found the Roll Call and left a message on it...introduceing myself as we are the newbie's. I'm kind of worried that I may get sea sick, never been on a big ship before and I do get car sick! So, I'll be seeing my Dr. before we go!!! Are you getting off in Seward like we are? I wanted to stay the night in ANC but Ric didn't want to. I think he's afraid he'll be to tired, so we leave ANC @3pm on the 27th and end up in SFO @ 11:18 pm, our connecting flight home isn't until 8am on the 28th. So that return trip is going to be a rough one!

Have a great weakend!:D

Archived