? about US money exchange in Canada

misha1

Greetings everyone...I will be disembarking in Vancouver from the Summit in September. My group will be staying there for 1 day. Since none of us have traveled to Canada, I wondered if we needed to exchange our US dollars for Candadian and where this is best accomplished. Does the ship offer this service? I have only cruised the Caribbean and US money is widely accepted there, so I have never had to do this exchange thing. We plan to do some sightseeing and dining so, I suppose will need some cash for that. Also, if we use a credit card in Canada, will the charges be converted to US dollars? Do we need to ask for this before hand? I feel a little out of my element here and am hoping for my cruise critic friends to have the answers. Thanks a bunch!

If you are only in Vancouver for 1 day, I wouldn't worry about exchanging money, everyone takes US dollars, we love them actually. :) As for the credit card questions, when you make a purchase in Canada, you pay the Canadian price, but when you get your credit card statement, it will be converted to US dollars. Easy peasy. Have fun, Vancouver is a wonderful city to explore.

Only Canadian dollar is accepted in Canada; at least in my experience. ATMs are widely available and credit cards are accepted every where; Discover card is the only one I have not been able to use there. Charges will be in Canadian $ and will be converted to US $ on your statement. In fact, do not let the establishment write the charge in US dollars because you will get a very bad exchange rate.

I have never tried exchanging on the ship.

Hope this helps

Only Canadian dollar is accepted in Canada; at least in my experience. ATMs are widely available and credit cards are accepted every where; Discover card is the only one I have not been able to use there. Charges will be in Canadian $ and will be converted to US $ on your statement. In fact, do not let the establishment write the charge in US dollars because you will get a very bad exchange rate.

I have never tried exchanging on the ship.

Hope this helps

We used US$s in Victoria to pay for some sodas. Only drawback was that we received Canadian money for our change.

Archived