The Threat of a Delta Strike (all threads merged here)

lauren0309

Delta Pilots Union Let Chairman Set Strike Date

ATLANTA Leaders of the pilots union at Delta Air Lines Inc. said Wednesday they gave their chairman the right to order a strike at the nation’s third-largest carrier at anytime after April 17.

It was the first time the union has mentioned a date in connection with its threat to strike if the Atlanta-based company is successful in voiding its contract so it can impose up to $325 million in long-term pay and benefit cuts.

I just booked my backup refundable ticket too. I'm flying from Pensacola to Seattle for a cruise in May. I was using Delta FF miles. :eek: The ticket cost was expensive but at least I don't have to worry about it anymore and relieved that I'm still going!

AAAmom, Thank you for your help, you are a godsend right now! Brnyznfl, did you use a travel agent? Or book it yourself?Jax

I called Northwest directly and just explained to them that I needed a refundable ticket. They were very helpful! :)

Anyone fearing the up coming strike?? We are arriving 2 days early for our cruise next week, so I think we will be okay. Coming back maybe another thing!!! Wonder if it will delay our departure on the Pride on the 16th??

Macwoman

AAAmom, Thank you for your help, you are a godsend right now!

jaxson,

Thanks for the kind words. As an FYI, I just got off the phone with Travel Guard (my travel insurance carrier) and they told me that they will cover the cost of the backup ticket ONLY if Delta strikes. So it does not matter when you purchase your backup ticket, however you can only use it and get reimbursement (if you have trip interruption coverage) if the airline, in this case, strikes.

Hello Macwoman, I too am concerned. If there is a major strike, most if not all flights will probably be cancelled. I have been checking other airlines for flights just in case since I leave after the strike date of April 15th. If you booked your air with a TA, they may be able to help you obtain a flight with another carrier home if Delta does strike.

Most airlines in this case will offer to transfer your reservation to them for a $50 fee. The big issue is whether or not the airlines will go along with that this time, since everyone's belt is tightened. If the airlines don't help rebook passengers, it is thought that Delta is done for good........

Can't hurt to check other airlines and how your travel insurance will help if this happens. Yet more one great example why travel ins. is not a waste of money.

Hello Macwoman, I too am concerned. If there is a major strike, most if not all flights will probably be cancelled. I have been checking other airlines for flights just in case since I leave after the strike date of April 15th. If you booked your air with a TA, they may be able to help you obtain a flight with another carrier home if Delta does strike.

If there is a strike not most but all Delta flights will likely be canceled on a permenant basis. If the unions go out for even one day that will be the end of Delta and all of their jobs so the odss of it happening are pretty slim.

We've got a flight scheduled for 5/27 (and back on 6/1), which gives me a little bit of leeway if anything happens...but hopefully they'll realize they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot!

Keeping my fingers crossed anyway...

If Delta strikes - they are done. I don't think it will happen - but I am not sure whose side will give in. We tend to worry about these things - but then in the end it never is as bad as we think. Remember that there is a ton of Government buy in with the airlines - they probably have some pull to avert it seeing as they have paid such huge bail outs.

Delta is my favorite airline....used them for 13 of 15 cruises. Never lost our luggage....not once. Great service.

It's sad to see that because they can't reach an agreement they will lose customers anyway because people will be afraid to book with them.

The pilots will not have a job. I think they both need to give a little so we can save an airline. Would the pilots be happier if Delta just went out and they did not have a job?

No one wants to take a cut in pay but if my employer said to me you can take this cut or we will probably be out of business...and you won't have a job....I think I would take the cut.

One of my best friend's dads is a retired Captain (pilot) with Delta and this is what he told me yesterday.

The pilots union approved the strike only to use as a negotiating tactic and both sides know this.

The pilots will not strike because they know it will be the final nail in Delta's coffin and the airline will not publicly or fiscally survive a pilots strike.

Also, Delta pilots are the highest paid in the industry and they know this.

The bottom line is the pilots have the most to lose if they strike.

If the pilots strike would they not find replacement pilots?

No. The FAA won't allow you to contract pilots that havn't recieved the airline specific training.

If the pilots were to strike, that would ground all of Delta's planes. They don't have enough money to make it more than a few days. They would fall so behind in lost revenue over a day or two that they would not be able to pay their bills. Delta has said that if the pilots strike, they will go out of business.

I'm pretty sure that law requires other airlines to honor tickets for an airline that ceases operations for a few days. I know that when both National and Independence went out of business, that we honored those tickets as a stand by ticket for a few weeks.

Good Luck. I hope it all works out for everyone.

jbrecalde

Any pilot that is qualified to fly as a Delta Captain or First Officer of an airplane of any size is also member of the pilots union that is striking. You cannot just pull someone in off the street.

I have never belonged to a union, but I have been around unions my entire life and there's one thing I've noticed; Unions will strike regardless of whether their jobs will be lost forever. I have seen people earning 60k per year go on strike and end up making minimum wage in other lines of work because they put their companies out of business.

Never doubt for one minute that they will do it.

I am not opposed to unions and I recognize the health, safety, and financial protections they have gained for their members and for the country as a whole, but when they threaten to strike over finances, they will follow through.

All I know is we flew United one time when they were on strike. This was about a million and a half years ago and the used pilot trainers. Of course they did scale down the flights, but at least offered some. I think the thing that bothered me the most was the horrible attitude of the flight attendants who were not on strike but obviously sympathizing with the pilots. I guess they either were ticked we were willing to cross the line or thought it was our fault the management and union couldn't come together. I don't think, for one second they will walk this time. The airline is in too much trouble. NMnita

I am scheduled to fly on April 15th for a cruise that day(Triumph).Should I wait and see or just drive down from CT.It will be impossible to get on a stand by that day(Easter weekend).Any thoughts.Do I lose my air ticket??

Everyone has made some good points. I am just going to wait and see what happens. I do tend to worry about things that are out of my control. Hopefully Delta will work things out. I am sure neither the pilots nor Delta want to go under.

Archived