The Threat of a Delta Strike (all threads merged here)

lauren0309

This post came up on the NCL board and they almost lynched the person for posting it! They said this is a cruise board not an airline board!

I mean for crying out loud...don't most of us fly to our embarkation points? I don't see what their beef is!

Anyways...We have Delta tickets for 9/7/06 to Hawaii for the NCL Pride of America. A reservist that works for me and flies for Delta ...said other airlines would honor the tickets if they strike

Our return flight for our cruise, returning 5/6/6 is booked with Delta ( Chataugua) . If they strike, are they or the other airlines required to put us on another flight?

If it is only a strike, then there is no requirement for anyone else to accept their tickets or transport you. A number of other airlines MAY do it on a standby basis, but that would be their decision to try to get business.

If DL goes out of business (as Independence Air/FlyI did), then there is a current federal law (set to expire later this year) that requires other airlines to transport ticketed DL pax on a standby basis for $50 per pax. Of course, with load factors running at an average of 78% in the USA right now, there aren't that many standby seats available.

I am freaking out now! I'm leaving June 17th. Hopefully it'll be over by then?
We're one week after you. I hope everyone flying Delta makes it to their cruise OK. If all else fails I guess we'll be driving down to Miami.......... might be easier finding a parking garage than last minute flights on another carrier.

John

Most likely any flights on Delta Connection will be affected, even if operated by other companies. Most pilots belong to the same union, even if they are working for Delta, American, or United. A union pilot, even if working for another company, most likely will not fly on a route that has the label of an airline that their union is striking against. That's just my take on the situation. If Delta does strike, Delta is gone and there will no longer be any Delta Connection flights anyways.

I would be looking for alternate ways of transport just in case.

Anyways...We have Delta tickets for 9/7/06 to Hawaii for the NCL Pride of America. A reservist that works for me and flies for Delta ...said other airlines would honor the tickets if they strike

Yes, other airlines will most likely honor the tickets on a space available basis. HOWEVER, people flying at the beginning of a strike will probably have their travel plans greatly disrupted. US airlines are flying at 78% capacity. There really isn't a lot of room on any airline to accept all the passengers that would be displaced.

I would expect if Delta strikes, for the first 48-72 hours, only 20% of displaced passengers will be on another plane to their destination. It will take that long at least for other airlines to even start picking up the slack.

Please be prepared with alternative arrangements, including driving, if you absolutely MUST be someplace.

O.K., here's my question, I hope someone can help me out on this one.

We are on a 4/29 cruise. Our air there is with U.S. Air., so we are o.k. with that segment. Our air back on 5/6 is with Delta. IF, and I say IF, Delta strikes on 4/17 or say 4/18, what should I do about getting my ticket transfered to another airline? In other words, if the other airlines will accept the transfer, when do I call them to make the change?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I realize the best thing would be to arrange alternate air. BUT, I had surgery and after insurance paid what they paid, I ended up paying $2500 out of pocket! OUCH! So that extra $400 to $600 is kind of hard to come up with right now.

Thanks for any input!

Just booked back up tickets to Europe. We don't sail until 5/19 BUT most of the flights had very few, if any, seats left. We are considering this our "strike insurance". If they strike we have flights and if they don't get a refund.

This is so frustrating. We planned ahead and booked our flights way back in August and now boom we have to deal with this.

O.K., here's my question, I hope someone can help me out on this one.

We are on a 4/29 cruise. Our air there is with U.S. Air., so we are o.k. with that segment. Our air back on 5/6 is with Delta. IF, and I say IF, Delta strikes on 4/17 or say 4/18, what should I do about getting my ticket transfered to another airline? In other words, if the other airlines will accept the transfer, when do I call them to make the change?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I realize the best thing would be to arrange alternate air. BUT, I had surgery and after insurance paid what they paid, I ended up paying $2500 out of pocket! OUCH! So that extra $400 to $600 is kind of hard to come up with right now.

Thanks for any input!

First thing I would do is get paper tickets. Sure, it will cost you, probably $25.00 per ticket. BUT if there is a strike, you at least have something in hand which will prove you have a ticket. Your e ticket is on Delta's computer. May not do you much good, if you are trying to get on a US Air (or other airline) flight. There is also a legal rule about paper tickets vs e tickets in strike and shutdown situations-I will try to find it. Paper tickets are easily "endorsable" to another carrier-e tickets are captive on the failed carriers' computers. It was widely discussed on these boards when US Air was teetering on the brink of shutdown/bankruptcy.

Second, you will not know until you disembark your cruise and get to the airport. IF the strike is ongoing, you are tossing a coin on availability of seats on other airlines. No other airline is going to accomodate you before you leave for the cruise (the strike may end during your cruise), so you truly will be one of XXXX people trying to find seats when you arrive at the airport.

Best advice if there is a strike-plan on a long wait for seats, splitting up your group to get those seats (one person on one flight, one on another), alternative transportation-rental car, train, bus to get you home. And hopefully you bought trip insurance before any of the contigencies on travel policies went into effect.

I called Delta yesterday and asked what would happen if the pilots are striking and I have a reservation with them. I was told they would try to get their passengers on their partners flights. I was told Continental and Northwest are partners. Though I think the seating capacity is going to be an issue if they do strike and I'm supposed to fly them on 5/10/06 using skymiles. UGH!

I called Delta yesterday and asked what would happen if the pilots are striking and I have a reservation with them. I was told they would try to get their passengers on their partners flights. I was told Continental and Northwest are partners. Though I think the seating capacity is going to be an issue if they do strike and I'm supposed to fly them on 5/10/06 using skymiles. UGH!

Called Delta re our flights on 5/6, and the agent said since we are flying with skymiles, we would be at the bottom of the list...that is, for rebooking on another airline. Have checked into refundable tickets, and they are over $1000 - UGH is right! We may have to drive from Florida to Seattle!

AS I posted on the other Delta strike thread, please get paper tickets. Sure, it will cost-probably $25.00 per ticket. But well worth it.

And have alternatives planned-train, bus, rental car, etc. Not all persons in your party on same plane. Capacity will be a BIG problem. Airlines are flying almost full. Planes are parked in the desert, so will have to undergo maintenance checks before put in service. Furloughed pilots must undergo recertification and paperwork before they can fly. All this will take TIME.

IF there is a strike, you will be competing with all other Delta passengers for the few seats available on other airlines. Please be prepared with alternatives.

First thing I would do is get paper tickets. Sure, it will cost you, probably $25.00 per ticket. BUT if there is a strike, you at least have something in hand which will prove you have a ticket. Your e ticket is on Delta's computer. May not do you much good, if you are trying to get on a US Air (or other airline) flight. There is also a legal rule about paper tickets vs e tickets in strike and shutdown situations-I will try to find it. Paper tickets are easily "endorsable" to another carrier-e tickets are captive on the failed carriers' computers. It was widely discussed on these boards when US Air was teetering on the brink of shutdown/bankruptcy.

Second, you will not know until you disembark your cruise and get to the airport. IF the strike is ongoing, you are tossing a coin on availability of seats on other airlines. No other airline is going to accomodate you before you leave for the cruise (the strike may end during your cruise), so you truly will be one of XXXX people trying to find seats when you arrive at the airport.

Best advice if there is a strike-plan on a long wait for seats, splitting up your group to get those seats (one person on one flight, one on another), alternative transportation-rental car, train, bus to get you home. And hopefully you bought trip insurance before any of the contigencies on travel policies went into effect.

I've been trying to decide all day about getting the paper tickets. When I called Delta, the agent said e-tickets are the same as paper tickets...but what you said certainly does make sense...even if it will cost $25 per ticket. The Delta agent said I have to go to the airport to get the paper tickets. Did you ever find that rule about paper tickets vs. e-tickets? Thanks!

I think it is highly unlikely that Pres. Bush would not seek a court order restraining a strike, should it come to that. In any case, the parties to contracts covered by the Railway Labor Act (which includes airlines) require a 90 day "cooling off" period after one of the parties declares that bargaining is at an impasse. The declaration of impasse has not yet occurred. So while I concur that getting paper tickets might be advisable, I don't anticipate that April 17 would result in the head of the Pilots' Union doing anything but announcing that a strike will commence 90 days following that date.

I know we will continue to be loyal Delta passengers for as long as they keep flying. We have 2 more trips booked for this year using Delta....

Delta Management and Delta Pilots lets keep the airline flying for all the consumers who have supported you.

Tom

I've been trying to decide all day about getting the paper tickets. When I called Delta, the agent said e-tickets are the same as paper tickets...but what you said certainly does make sense...even if it will cost $25 per ticket. The Delta agent said I have to go to the airport to get the paper tickets. Did you ever find that rule about paper tickets vs. e-tickets? Thanks!

Airlines all now honor e-tickets. While the rule used to be that you needed paper tickets for an airline to airline transfer, that is no longer the case.

I've been bumped to other airlines and my e-ticket worked like a charm.

I think it is highly unlikely that Pres. Bush would not seek a court order restraining a strike, should it come to that. In any case, the parties to contracts covered by the Railway Labor Act (which includes airlines) require a 90 day "cooling off" period after one of the parties declares that bargaining is at an impasse. The declaration of impasse has not yet occurred. So while I concur that getting paper tickets might be advisable, I don't anticipate that April 17 would result in the head of the Pilots' Union doing anything but announcing that a strike will commence 90 days following that date.

I also believe President Bush will seek an injunction. However, this does not prevent a "wildcat" strike. While such a strike would not be as lengthly as a full blown, "regulated" strike, it certainly can disrupt Delta's passengers. Final warning-BE PREPARED with alternatives!!!

This just in from ClearChannel Cinncinati

HEBRON, Ky. -- In yet another sign that a strike by Delta Air Lines pilots may be coming, the union has ordered members to clean out their lockers. In fact, the Air Line Pilots Association said a walkout is "becoming more likely every day."

According to the union, the order to remove flight gear and personal belongings from lockers will prevent senior executives at the nation's third-largest carrier from blocking access to the equipment by a lockout.

Delta has asked an arbitration panel to void its contract with pilots so it can impose up to $325 million in pay and benefit cuts. The union has said it would strike if the contract is thrown out.

The panel must rule by April 15, and the pilots have given their union leader authorization to call a strike anytime after April 17.

Airlines all now honor e-tickets. While the rule used to be that you needed paper tickets for an airline to airline transfer, that is no longer the case.

That's true if the original airline's computer system is up and running. I would seriously doubt that DL's computer system would keep running IF the airline was shutdown.

Also, even if you do have a transferable e-ticket, a paper ticket is FAR more easily endorsed over to another airline - and it is far easier to prove that you actually have a ticket when it sitting in your hot little hand, rather than in a pile of electrons somewhere in the ether.

YES, BUT. You were NOT in a strike or shutdown situation. E tickets (and the rules that govern paper tickets) have NOT kept up with the times. You can all do what you want, but paper tickets are the ONLY way to prove to another airline that you actually HAVE a ticket (and the revenue that goes with it) on a shutdown/striking carrier.

Do you really think AA, US Air, etc. has access to Delta's reservation system, where the E ticket info is kept?

And one other thing-a lot of you probably bought tickets through Travelocity, Expedia, etc. Calling third party vendors will probably entail NOTHING but frustration. Half of the call centers are in other countries in other time zones. The phone lines will be overburdened, with VERY long wait times.

IF you are at an airport, minus a Delta flight due to strike or shutdown, I would look at my flight chart (which I made up before I left home-showing every flight which can reasonably get me to my destination) and march up to that airline's desk, WITH PAPER tickets in hand, and probably get on the next flight out. I am through security, while others are in line at the Delta desk or on hold to third party vendors. I have been through this twice-PanAm and Eastern. It's NOT pretty.

Archived