The Threat of a Delta Strike (all threads merged here)

lauren0309

Just got back from our little trip to the airport in the pouring rain! The Delta desk was very happy about the CNN news release. They tried to talk me out of getting the paper tickets, but my husband was in the car waiting and I knew I couldn't go back to him empty handed:rolleyes: so I paid the $60 for the three of us.

Air France, by the way was NOT nice or helpful on the phone this morning. I swear, if the agent had called me "Miss" one more time, I would have lost it! She explained that we are completely out of luck should Delta strike. Period. It just doesn't seem right that Air France accepted their partnership with Delta, yet dis-own them at the drop of a hat. I guess the word "confirmed" on our tickets doesn't really mean a thing. I have had a rude awakening on this matter for sure! Wonder if the L.A. Times might find this iformation interesting enough to print. Couldn't be a good thing for Air France (though most likely, they don't really care!).

One other very scary point....We paid $3800- for our third ticket on Air France and Delta....since we paid Delta for the ticket, it too would be of no value should Delta fold. Am I stupid, or is this beyond belief?! It is AF LAX to VCE then AF Athens to CDG AF CDG to New York. At 50 years of age, I am still learning!!!!!!

Cheers to Delta!!!!!!!!

Nanette

Air France, by the way was NOT nice or helpful on the phone this morning. I swear, if the agent had called me "Miss" one more time, I would have lost it! She explained that we are completely out of luck should Delta strike. Period. It just doesn't seem right that Air France accepted their partnership with Delta, yet dis-own them at the drop of a hat. I guess the word "confirmed" on our tickets doesn't really mean a thing. I have had a rude awakening on this matter for sure! Wonder if the L.A. Times might find this iformation interesting enough to print. Couldn't be a good thing for Air France (though most likely, they don't really care!).
I'd be more than happy to 'put my two cents worth' into the article in the newspaper that will never be written...!:p I just hate it when the 'working man' is screwed 'cause the up and ups couldn't care less..:(

I know when I go to 'meet my maker', I'm going to the 'promised land'... Those people who keep screwing the rest of us will be somewhere other...:D

One other very scary point....We paid $3800- for our third ticket on Air France and Delta....since we paid Delta for the ticket, it too would be of no value should Delta fold. Am I stupid, or is this beyond belief?! It is AF LAX to VCE then AF Athens to CDG AF CDG to New York.

Nanette

Let me make sure I understand correctly about AF. You were using Delta FF miles to book on AF, correct? AF said that if Delta went under they would not honor the tickets? If that is what you are saying it makes perfect sense to me, with no Dleta to pay AF for your ticket why would you think that AF would fly you free?

I suspect that you misunderstood about the third ticket. If it were paid then it would be usable (as would the first two if they were paid tickets.)

Just glad to see it might actually be over.
Things might be settled for the short term, but don't forget that Delta is far from being out of the woods yet.

I don't know what DL's business plan involves, and we probably won't know unless and until they're ever in a position to come out of Chapter 11.

But we do have an indication from what United Airlines needed to do to get out of Chapter 11. They filed a business plan that is based on a return to profitability on the back of crude oil at $50 a barrel, at a time when crude was somewhere a little north of $60. Crude has now gone beyond $70 a barrel again, and I would have said that UA's days are pretty numbered.

DL's salvation, if it ever comes, may only come from UA going under for good.

In a way, wouldn't it be easier if they just went ahead and made a decision so people could get stop worrying about the whole thing. It would seem that both Delta and the union know what the bottom line is and jousting for the sake of (sorry I can't think of the word) is ridiculous. This is just getting tedious.

Thanks for letting me vent:o.

{"Let me make sure I understand correctly about AF. You were using Delta FF miles to book on AF, correct? AF said that if Delta went under they would not honor the tickets? If that is what you are saying it makes perfect sense to me, with no Dleta to pay AF for your ticket why would you think that AF would fly you free?

I suspect that you misunderstood about the third ticket. If it were paid then it would be usable (as would the first two if they were paid tickets."}

(Post by zqvol)

In answer to your comments:

Yes, as a "partner" in an alliance, holding confirmed tickets, I DO expect Air France to honor those two tickets.

Are you aware that Air France frequent flyers can earn Blue miles (I believe it is called) on Delta flights? If that isn't a connection, then what is?

You are incorrect about the paid ticket. It would be just as invalid as the two millage tickets should Delta falter because, according to Air France, we made the complete reservation through the Delta agent.

It seems that the fair thing to do would be for Air France to separate and break their "Alliance" with Delta and make it be known for future flights, rather than mess with customers who are literally ticketed and confirmed on their flights. Now I wonder what the word "confirmed" on the tickets means, anyway?!

It looks like things might very well be fine for our June trip. Keeping positive thoughts and prayers about it, anyway!

Yes, as a "partner" in an alliance, holding confirmed tickets, I DO expect Air France to honor those two tickets.

Are you aware that Air France frequent flyers can earn Blue miles (I believe it is called) on Delta flights? If that isn't a connection, then what is?

You are incorrect about the paid ticket. It would be just as invalid as the two millage tickets should Delta falter because, according to Air France, we made the complete reservation through the Delta agent.

It seems that the fair thing to do would be for Air France to separate and break their "Alliance" with Delta and make it be known for future flights, rather than mess with customers who are literally ticketed and confirmed on their flights. Now I wonder what the word "confirmed" on the tickets means, anyway?!

Unfortunately, I think you misunderstand what an "alliance" means in the airline industry.

Airlines in an alliance may agree to provide extra benefits to each other's customers and frequent flyers, going beyond what each airline would normally extend to someone holding a ticket for that airline issued by the other airline. This can include earning miles in the other airline's frequent flyer scheme, rather than that of the airline operating the flight.

But there's usually nothing in an airline alliance that obliges one airline to accept worthless tickets issued by the other airline before it went bust. These alliances aren't mergers, and the operating airline usually has obligations to others not to do financially stupid things.

And "confirmed" means that you have a confirmed reservation for a seat on the flight. It doesn't mean that you have a valid ticket for that seat - and that would be the issue in your (fortunately now hypothetical) case.

Yes, that is true Globaliser. It truly isn't that I don't understand...believe me, I get it loud and clear now!!!!!!!!! I think it is important though that others realize by our mistake... Should they be purchasing a ticket with a code share carrier (which is actually one more reason that I, as a lay person, incorrectly thought gave me safety), they should pay for that ticket directly to the airline who is most financially stable, should there be any question.

By the way, I wrote Delta back in August when I traded in our miles with our concerns. Their legal dept. assured me that there wouldn't be any problem with our tickets. Hmmm. Looks like they are going to be right after-all ! LOL!

And now that I have taken all the 'precautions' in the event of a Delta strike, I'm guessing my 'paper' tickets' do not allow me to check-in a day prior to our flight?? Not that it matters, except that I like that 'boarding pass' in hand, so there is no chance Delta will 'give my seats to someone else' if I'm not at the airport 'on time'.:( Does anyone know if this is, in fact, the case? I received an e-mail from Delta, telling me to do the 'on-line check-in', but I just got my 'paper tickets' last Friday, so I'm guessing Delta doesn't know for for sure what I'm doing. :rolleyes: Sometimes, I don't think 'I' know what I'm doing..:eek:

Stirboo, so you did get your paper tickets too! I know exactly what you mean! The Delta agents who issued mine REALLY discouraged me from getting them...the main reason being "If you lose them, there is a $300- re-issue fee!" For many years we have all travelled without losing our tickets, so I put them with my passports and won't worry. It did feel quite nice to have those tickets to look at regardless whether they will be helpful or not!

You must be getting so excited! I see your countdown clock is at 3 days!!! Keep good thoughts and I'm sure all will go smoothly! With the relief Delta employees are feeling, the service level should be great. That's what I felt at the airport here in Ontario (CA), at least.

Stirboo, so you did get your paper tickets too! I know exactly what you mean! The Delta agents who issued mine REALLY discouraged me from getting them...the main reason being "If you lose them, there is a $300- re-issue fee!" For many years we have all travelled without losing our tickets, so I put them with my passports and won't worry. It did feel quite nice to have those tickets to look at regardless whether they will be helpful or not!
I've always had 'paper tickets' until last year, I believe. I felt lost without them, tho' everything went well..:p I too, was given the "now, don't lose these tickets" lecture as well.
You must be getting so excited! I see your countdown clock is at 3 days!!! Keep good thoughts and I'm sure all will go smoothly! With the relief Delta employees are feeling, the service level should be great. That's what I felt at the airport here in Ontario (CA), at least.
Yes, we are ramping up...!! Excited to say the least. Was able to secure JS1100 corner/aft on the Jewel of the Seas, and am soooo looking forward to that big balcony...:D

Does anyone know if I can still do pre-flight check-in online the day prior, even tho' I carry 'paper tickets'??:confused:

Does anyone know if I can still do pre-flight check-in online the day prior, even tho' I carry 'paper tickets'??:confused:

AA's system will allow it. I do not know about Delta, as I don't fly Delta. You are only printing a boarding pass, not getting a ticket.

Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you will have to stand in line. AND that's when curbside check-in, even if it costs $2.00 per bag, comes in VERY handy.

AA's system will allow it. I do not know about Delta, as I don't fly Delta. You are only printing a boarding pass, not getting a ticket.

Give it a try. The worst that can happen is you will have to stand in line. AND that's when curbside check-in, even if it costs $2.00 per bag, comes in VERY handy.

I'd pay $5.00 a bag to 'NOT stand in line'! I did enough of that in the military.. YUK! :rolleyes:

I may give Delta a call just to check... The CSR's should be in very good moods with the impending strike called off (so far)... I may be really glad I have those 'paper tickets', yet..:p

'greatam'.. thanks again for all the help and assistance.. :)

Hi:) I just returned from my Cruise.....had a fantastic time:D

Anyway, I did go to the airport early and spoke with a Delta Rep.

(This was LAST Thursday). He was very nice and issued me the

paper tickets.....and didn't even charge me for doing it either:)

As the cruise went along, I heard from a few folks that Delta

came to an agreement!

So, things for my October flights are looking up! Paper...no extra

charge, E-tickets....and now I just have to get through

the next 6 months:eek: before sailing again!

Hi there:) .....I work to cruise;) tough life? Not too bad...but

you know I sail solo so prices are ALWAYS more....and especially

in the summertime!

Have fun in Mexico:)

Just a point of reference/information! Delta charged me the $20. per ticket for paper tickets, and were not sympathetic to my questions.. "Don't worry Sir, we'll take care of you"! Anyhow... I have my 'paper tickets' which may come in VERY handy on April 30... I have 'fully refundable' on Southwest for Friday, April 21 on our way to FLL for our cruise, 'just in case'...:rolleyes:

I feel much better about my situation, had I done nothing. Delta CSR told me today that I can NOT check in online prior to my departure flight... (curious why, as I would only be printing a boarding pass...) I already have tickets... :rolleyes:

Even tho' Delta thought there may have been an 'action' from the Pilots, I'm sure they weren't prepared for it.. I WAS! :D an AM!

I feel much better about my situation, had I done nothing. Delta CSR told me today that I can NOT check in online prior to my departure flight... (curious why, as I would only be printing a boarding pass...) I already have tickets... :rolleyes:

Even tho' Delta thought there may have been an 'action' from the Pilots, I'm sure they weren't prepared for it.. I WAS! :D an AM!

I'd still try to do it online. If it works, great. You saved some time in line. If it doesn't, you haven't lost anything. Remember, you started with e-tickets. You just got an actual ticket, with info on paper, instead of in Delta's computer. It's worth a shot.

Archived