Smart Casual just a myth???

Hi All,

We took our first cruise on Mariner in 2004. (7 days) I read all the dining attire info. and according to everything I read before going, there were supposed to be formal, smart casual, and casual nights in the dining room. As it turned out, there were only formal and casual and I had packed more than we needed. My question is, are there EVER any smart casual nights on any RCCL cruises? We are going on a 9 night cruise in June on Grandeur and I don't know whether to believe the info. given by RCCL about what the dining attire will really be. Are there 2 or 3 kinds of outfits needed? Thanks!!! :p

Honestly, I personally think Smart Casual is a thing of the past. Wear what looks good and is comfortable. Within the "no shorts and tanktops" guidelines of course! ;)

We haven't seen it on our recent cruises and really didn't notice a difference in attire in the dining room on casual vs. smart casual nights.

Who in todays world knows the difference in the two besides people who cruise and read the "book"?

Smart casual.....where did that term even come from? Now I am curious and have to google it..........

Pretty much a myth anymore. When we first started cruising in 87, there were real smart casual nights. The last few cruises we have taken over the past 3 - 4 years, very few men have worn jackets and/or ties. Anymore, I wear polo/golf type shirts for casual and either guyabera or short sleeve button shirts on "smart casual" nights if any are listed in the Compass. Lately, I don't remember any smart casual listed. Or, if they were, it was on a night that was also Caribbean or some other theme.

On our shorter cruises smart casual has failed to exist since our 7 night E. carib. cruise in Nov. of '04. On our 12 night BOS med. cruise last October there had smart casual.

It's an issue that RCI can't get it right on this. Packing extra unecessary clothing for a cruise is really a PIA.

My first two cruises really DID have smart casual nights. My last two, even though the cruise documents (and everything else I read before going) said there would be smart casual nights did NOT have them! Next time, my husband will not be taking his sport coat and tie, no matter what the cruise documents say (unless we decide to go to Portofino's).

Seems my experience has been different to most others but all of my cruises had the smart casual nights and mostly not only one but a couple of them and most people I saw followed it with Jacket and/or tie.

So have all of ours.

I do know that our next on the Navigator has no smart casual. I am happy not to have to pack all those extra clothes for my husband.

He is ecstatic. :D

Thanks for all the replies so far!! I was wondering if the 2 people who said that their cruises had smart casual nights, were these cruises all Mediterranian/Europe cruises? Maybe it has something to do with where the ships are sailing.? Has anyone had smart casual on Caribbean sailings? That's what our last was and we didn't have it. The next will be Carib. as well.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to find out if there really WILL be smart casual or not on a particular sailing?

Thanks again, All!

Thanks for all the replies so far!! I was wondering if the 2 people who said that their cruises had smart casual nights, were these cruises all Mediterranian/Europe cruises? Maybe it has something to do with where the ships are sailing.? Has anyone had smart casual on Caribbean sailings? That's what our last was and we didn't have it. The next will be Carib. as well.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to find out if there really WILL be smart casual or not on a particular sailing?

Thanks again, All!

No, ours were all Caribbean cruises. 7 nights to 11 nights.

Was on Mariner in Jan and it was 2 formal and then the rest casual. Kind of makes packing much easier and since I have cruised enough now the thrill of buying nicer cruise wear and wearing it is gone. I just want to relax, hang out and then quickly make it to late dinner. Do not need the fussing..

What irks me about the RCCL dress code is that RCCL continues to refer to Smart Casual as "Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women" yet barely anyone was dressed this way. With the exception of a few people most were dressed identical to the Casual nights (and don't get me started on those people who were dressed garage grunge).

As mentioned, when packing for a 10 day caribbean cruise, adding Smart Casual attire takes up more room.

To RCCL: "Remove Smart Casual as an option or ENFORCE the dress code"!:mad:

For my future cruises I will NOT pack anything Smart Casual unless these boards give me a good indication that people are actually dressing that way.

I absolutely love the formal nights and have strong opinions regarding what is appropriate and not. On the other nights I couldnt care less. I just wear Dockers with a collared shirt.

I dress smart casual on even the casual nights. I might be more casual on embarkation day but even then I dress up more than some. But then I dress up more than most in my day to day life. I like to dress nice, just the way I was raised. I seldom even wear shorts, my most casual is capris with a nice top or twin set. I did buy a demin skort for my cruise next month, but picked out a nice top to go with it, otherwise I have 4 skirts picked out for casual wear, along with some strappy sandles and some with heels for a more dressy look in the evening. Just me, I like to dress up a bit more than most. I may take a few more casual things this time but then again maybe not. I dress for me, not to impress, not for anyone else, and really dont give a flying fig what others do.

Does anyone know if the Brilliance to the Panama has the "smart casual" ? Where would if find out?

Sue

Was on the Brilliance in March... and yes, they had Smart Casual but as mentioned in my earlier post you wouldn't know it from the way people were dressed.

Was on the Brilliance in March... and yes, they had Smart Casual but as mentioned in my earlier post you wouldn't know it from the way people were dressed.

Shall we now all observe a moment of silence for Smart Casual Night? ;)

We had one smart casual night on our 5 night western carib cruise on the Enchantment but the description in the Compass is identical to what is listed for casual nights. :confused: Smart Casual: RIP?

To me, "Smart Casual" means "Church Clothes. Of course even that is open to interpretation. I pack a lot of mix and match pieces and wear pretty much the same level of casual every night that isn't formal and it's probably smart casual anyway. Things that I would wear to go out to dinner anywhere.

On RCI cruises we change into more casual clothes after the formal dinners to be more comfortable for the evening. On Celebrity, we haven't done that yet, not wanting to challenge the dress code that says the code for dinner is also for the rest of the evening. But after last year when people came into the theatre looking like a biker gang (on formal night) and weren't tossed out, I think it'll be safe to go smart casual after dinner. :D

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.

1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 days in London

To me, "Smart Casual" means "Church Clothes. Of course even that is open to interpretation. I pack a lot of mix and match pieces and wear pretty much the same level of casual every night that isn't formal and it's probably smart casual anyway. Things that I would wear to go out to dinner anywhere.

That makes sense for women, but packing unnecessary sportcoats for men takes a lot of room when packing. It would be nice to know one way or the other.

We have never been on a cruise that didn't 'say' it had Smart Casual, but you don't see a lot of jackets. Even my husband, the clothes horse, the guy who loves to wear his tux doesn't take another jacket with him on a cruise. Like many of you have said, it just takes up too much room. On Smart Casual Nights he wears dress pants, nice shoes, and a beautiful shirt--something like silk. Nice dressy shirts. I dress what would be called Smart Casual ever night, with the exception of Formal nights.

What's frustrating is the people who wear T-shirts on formal nights.

I dress smart casual on even the casual nights. I might be more casual on embarkation day but even then I dress up more than some. But then I dress up more than most in my day to day life. I like to dress nice, just the way I was raised. I seldom even wear shorts, my most casual is capris with a nice top or twin set. I did buy a demin skort for my cruise next month, but picked out a nice top to go with it, otherwise I have 4 skirts picked out for casual wear, along with some strappy sandles and some with heels for a more dressy look in the evening. Just me, I like to dress up a bit more than most. I may take a few more casual things this time but then again maybe not. I dress for me, not to impress, not for anyone else, and really dont give a flying fig what others do.
I thought I was the only one. I thoroughly agree. I somes think that some people do not realize or care how bad they look in Public, when dressed in the "grunge look":eek: I guess that makes me a snob.. No, not really, I just care to look as decent as I can for my age.

Archived