Anyone notice foul odor on Grandeur??

I was reading some recent reviews of Grandeur cruises on another site and several people said they noticed a foul, sewer odor on the ship. These were people who had cruised in Feb. and March. Has anyone been on recently and noticed that? We're going on in June and I was a bit concerned. We will be on deck 3 midship. Anyone notice any odor there?

These people who reported the odor were happy with their cruise otherwise, so I don't think they were just trying to cause a problem for RCCL by posting that.

Thanks!!

I actually noticed the same kind of sewage odor when we sailed the Explorer in March. It was only for the first two days, in certain areas (can't remember which though.) The humidity, at the time, didn't help the situation, LOL! We also noticed the same odor last March when we sailed the Carnival Glory.

No, it didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruises either, but I sure wish cruise lines had a better way to remedy the situation. Oh, how I so dislike that smell.

We were on Grandeur in July 04, midship deck 3 cabin 3118 didnt notice any smell at all. Last July 05, we were on deck 8 aft 8586 no smell either. Only time we smelled anything was while we were getting off the ship in Bermuda, now that smell would knock your socks off!! But we didnt let it ruin any part of our trip!

We were on Grandeur 2-6-06 and were in a JS, no smell. HOWEVER, 2 days we did catch a whiff while walking the sportdeck (deck 10) for our shipshape dollars. I think we were just downwind of the stinkpipe for the whole ship! But we never smelled anything belowdecks.

My wife and I were on the Grandeur 2 years ago and the smell was the worst. Problems with the toilets backing up we were told. On the next to last night of the cruise the smell was so bad that we could not go in our stateroom for 3 or 4 hours...then it stunk thru the rest of the night. The desk kept telling us there were working on the problem. We did write RCCL when we got back and they sent along some future cruise credits. Problem is that some people flush stuff down the toilets that back up the entire system. The lower decks really suffer when that occurs. The Grandeur was the worst that I have experienced out of 9 cruises so far.

We were on the Grandeur March 16-20th. We were on deck 2 and some nights the smell was quite bad in our bathroom. It seemed to help when we ran the shower. On deck 5 in one section of one of the lounges it was smelly also. It was not enough to ruin our cruise at all but it is something that should be fixed. I did write about it in my comments on the last day. I have not been on deck 2 since we began cruising 24 years ago and I think I'll stick to the upper decks. We have cruised 13 times and I do not ever remember having this problem, as someone mentioned goes with cruising. I do not agree with that.

We were on the Grandeur last summer and definitely had a sewer smell problem in our cabin and to a lesser extent in the hallway outside the cabin (we were on deck 2 on the port side, in the rear middle section of the ship). It also could be smelled on the promenade deck (#5) when you got to just about that same point in the ship. Our tablemates who were also on deck #2 said that there was a faint smell in their cabin as well but apparently not nearly as bad as in ours.

The smell in our cabin came and went throughout our cruise and was only overwheming a couple of times - on those occasions we left the cabin. Oddly enough, the smell wasn't in the bathroom, it was in the main part of the cabin. What frustrated me most was that the Grandeur staff refused to acknowledge that the smell even existed and claimed that they'd never heard anything or received any complaints about this problem. I was doubtful of that but I do have to admit that when we returned, I asked my TA about it and she said that she'd never gotten a complaint about this problem either. So, perhaps it's only sometimes a problem.

I do want to say, however, that although the smell issue was a pain, it didn't destroy our vacation! We absolutely loved the cruise. In fact, we are booked to go back on the Grandeur again this summer. But this time I was careful to book a cabin on the starboard side of the ship and a few decks higher. The Grandeur is a wonderful ship...you'll love it.

At the Engineer's talk on the Radiance last week, they made a big deal that RCI was upgrading their sewage system fleet wide. I don't know if this will solve the problems you discussed here, but they are spending $100 - $150 million on the upgrades.

Archived