Grandeur 9 night from Baltimore questions

rpmljm

Thanks for the inside info., Tonyo. Our docs say departure is 4pm though. That's what it says in the RCCL literature too. Do you think that is wrong? I hope not. Thanks again. I will post again as the time gets closer.

Please go with what your docs say.

We were told the departure time is the same as last year.

But the 4pm departure makes more sense as the ship docked will be at least 30 to 45 minutes away from her berth from last year in Dundalk.

At this time I would be prepared to do a lot of walking as the terminal setup is not a customer friendly as last year. But on the brighter side the new terminal is locate just off Interstate 95 and just 5 minutes from the Inner Harbor

wraithe, (I was going to be smart and save some money by parking my car at the pre-cruise hotel and taking a taxi, what a mistake, taxi fares in Baltimore are ridiculous. )

How far away did you stay ? We are doing the same thing , staying at the Best Western, they told us $10 to $12.00 to the pier. 41/2 miles.

I would agree with the folks that say Sandy Point (at the base of the Ches Bay Bridge) or Bay Ridge. My wife and I live in Chesapeake Harbour, which is just north of Bay Ridge, and from our deck we get to see the ship pass under the Ches. Bay Bridge everytime is sails out. It pretty cool to see. We actually did a 10 day on the Galaxy a few years back, so we got to see the scene from the ship as well. We can't wait for the cruising season to start so we can watch the ship sail out.

Mark & Janet

wraithe, (I was going to be smart and save some money by parking my car at the pre-cruise hotel and taking a taxi, what a mistake, taxi fares in Baltimore are ridiculous. )

How far away did you stay ? We are doing the same thing , staying at the Best Western, they told us $10 to $12.00 to the pier. 41/2 miles.

What Best Western are you staying at ?

I do hope it's not the one on O'Donnell Street.

So where exactly is the ship leaving from this year and how do I get to it from Virginia?? Where can I expect to park, and whatelse should I know?

I'm really thankful for this site. If you guys hadn't posted about it, I would have gone back to Dundalk. Any info greatly appreciated.

So where exactly is the ship leaving from this year and how do I get to it from Virginia?? Where can I expect to park, and whatelse should I know?

I'm really thankful for this site. If you guys hadn't posted about it, I would have gone back to Dundalk. Any info greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that will answer most of your questions.

http://www.marylandports.com/cruises/page6a_directions.htm

I would pay close attention to the exit as if you miss it you will have to go through the tunnel and do a u-turn which is somewhat dufficult to get back to the cruise terminal.

What Best Western are you staying at ?

I do hope it's not the one on O'Donnell Street.

When did you stay at the Best Western and what was wrong with it. This is the one we are staying at. We chose the BW because of price and we can park our car there.

PADutchman,

I have passed the BW many times on my way to work. It is located across the street from a truck stop and there is a Greyhound Bus terminal located in the hotel. The surrounding neighborhood is somewhat depressed and a few blocks from the hotel the city police have mounted a 24 hr surveillance camera to monitor drug traffic.

I would look at the hotels in the White Marsh Mall area there is a Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn.

Here is a link that will answer most of your questions.

http://www.marylandports.com/cruises/page6a_directions.htm

I would pay close attention to the exit as if you miss it you will have to go through the tunnel and do a u-turn which is somewhat dufficult to get back to the cruise terminal.

Thanks for the info!! :)

I would have just gone to the same place I went to last year. Does anyone know why they changed the location? I really enjoyed being able to park right on the pier. How easy is this new place?

Thanks for the info!! :)

I would have just gone to the same place I went to last year. Does anyone know why they changed the location? I really enjoyed being able to park right on the pier. How easy is this new place?

The state wanted to have a dedicated cruise terminal, since they are being cheap about it they decided to convert an old cargo shed into one. The cargo shed is just like the one in Dundalk, the main difference is that the South Side terminal does not have the truck and cargo traffic that they had in Dundalk. You will share the place with cargo but not as much as you did before.

From what I have been told you will not be able to park right next to the ship as you did last year: It is my understanding that passengers will have a lot more walking to do and not really passenger friendly.

As far as location it is less than 5 minutes from the Inner Harbor which has a lot to offer.

When I find out more about the layout which probably won't be until the 1st cruise of the season I'll post and let everyone know what is going on.

PADutchman,

I have passed the BW many times on my way to work. It is located across the street from a truck stop and there is a Greyhound Bus terminal located in the hotel. The surrounding neighborhood is somewhat depressed and a few blocks from the hotel the city police have mounted a 24 hr surveillance camera to monitor drug traffic.

I would look at the hotels in the White Marsh Mall area there is a Hilton Garden Inn and a Hampton Inn.

Ok we are now staying at the Hyatt Regency day before, they will let us park there for 9 days free, well almost free $200 but it really is $100. It would have cost us $100 to park at RCI port;) an extra day is always good..

Ok we are now staying at the Hyatt Regency day before, they will let us park there for 9 days free, well almost free $200 but it really is $100. It would have cost us $100 to park at RCI port;) an extra day is always good..

Didn't mean to cause you the extra money, just wanted to give you honest opinion of the neighborhood.

Since the Hyatt is only 5minutes from the cruise terminal will they provide you with free shuttle there?

You will like staying in Inner Harbor many things to see and do before your cruise.

Here are a couple of links to the downtown area.

http://www.harborplace.com/html/

http://www.baltimore.org/

Dutchman, I really don't understand what you are saying about the parking. I'm interpreting your statement to mean you will be paying the Hyatt $20 per day to park for 10 days.

Not to speak for someone else... but sounds to me like the original hotel was about $100, and the new hotel is about $200. But the new hotel will let him park for no additional charge, where before he was going to have to pay the $90 (at $10 per day) to park at the port. So now he is getting the hotel and parking for essentially the same price as before.

Just a guess. :)

Theron

Not to speak for someone else... but sounds to me like the original hotel was about $100, and the new hotel is about $200. But the new hotel will let him park for no additional charge, where before he was going to have to pay the $90 (at $10 per day) to park at the port. So now he is getting the hotel and parking for essentially the same price as before.

Just a guess. :)

Theron

Agreed, most of the hotels around BWI and the Inner Harbor will let you leave your car at no charge if you stay there the night before. It's part of the park & fly or cruise deals they have going.

tonyo, thanks for the great info.

PADutchman, the Hyatt is really nice and has a great location. There's lots to do around there. You're in walking distance to Camden Yards so if you like baseball and have the time you should go to a game, it's a nice ball park.

Have a great cruise all.

Oh, edited to say my point was to the OP. Don't drive into Annapolis to see the ship. Traffic is bad on Bay Ridge and/or they'll just get lost. Just go to Sandy Point, it's right off route 50, easy in and out and it's about the best view they'll get from shore. Have fun on the cruise, Baltimore is a great spot to cruise out of and the service on the ship is excellent, you won't be disappointed.

Fred

Sorry it took me a while to get back here. I was about 8 miles away from the old piers, Dundalk Marine Terminal, but did have to go through the toll booth. It cost me 45 dollars to get there, and 35 to get back. It would have only cost me 90 to park right at the pier.

I think he is saying the room is costing him $200 and the parking is included. Really a $100 room and $100 parking, is probably what he was getting at.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

I just noticed your name and lughed out loud (alone in the kitchen).

"What's in the fridge?"

"Soda, water, some purply stuff, and oh yea! SunnieD!"

:D :D

Agreed, most of the hotels around BWI and the Inner Harbor will let you leave your car at no charge if you stay there the night before. It's part of the park & fly or cruise deals they have going.

tonyo, thanks for the great info.

PADutchman, the Hyatt is really nice and has a great location. There's lots to do around there. You're in walking distance to Camden Yards so if you like baseball and have the time you should go to a game, it's a nice ball park.

Have a great cruise all.

Oh, edited to say my point was to the OP. Don't drive into Annapolis to see the ship. Traffic is bad on Bay Ridge and/or they'll just get lost. Just go to Sandy Point, it's right off route 50, easy in and out and it's about the best view they'll get from shore. Have fun on the cruise, Baltimore is a great spot to cruise out of and the service on the ship is excellent, you won't be disappointed.

Fred

You got it right. We wanted to see the Inner harbor the day before the cruise and this worked out great for us. The Hyatt is a really nice place to stay and walking distance to the harbor. We would have to pay $90.00 to park at the pier or $200 to stay at the Hyatt and park the car for 9 days with the park and cruise deal. Cheap compared what we pay in Florida to stay the day before the cruise. ;)

SunnieD, if it was June 19th (Father's Day), it was ME! :) We were on the 5 day to Bermuda and I don't remember if there was smart casual.

Unfortunately, since we left at 6:00 and had early seating (6:30 on night 1), we missed out on a lot of the sights. We did notice at dinner when we went under the bay bridge.

Coming home we saw the bridge tunnel at about 11:30 pm. That is an awesome sight from the water as well. It looks like the car lights just vanish! It was really cool.

Have fun, the Grandeur is wonderful! I'd go again in a minute!

Kelly

Hi Kelly. I am going on Grandeur in June and since it is my first cruise on this ship Im wondering about dining options. All I have heard about so far is Windjammer and the main dining room. Are there any special resturants and what is the pool side grill (if they have one) like? I got spoiled on the Millenium-absolutely wonderful pool side dining. Thanks for any info. Satine

Hi Kelly. I am going on Grandeur in June and since it is my first cruise on this ship Im wondering about dining options. All I have heard about so far is Windjammer and the main dining room. Are there any special resturants and what is the pool side grill (if they have one) like? I got spoiled on the Millenium-absolutely wonderful pool side dining. Thanks for any info. Satine

No specialty restaurant as of last November (2005). The dining room and Windjammer were quite good. The little stand at the aft end of the Solarium had pizza, burgers, fries and such. It was pretty good as well. The best thing about the 9 nighter, they had seperate gala buffets and chocolate buffets. The chocolate buffet was awesome.

Archived